UKBouldering.com

Where to go Feb time? (Read 1872 times)

Gritlad

• obsessive maniac
  • I'm not actually much of a lad.
Where to go Feb time?
January 13, 2012, 07:46:23 pm
should be going on a trip around early Feb and was wondering if anyone had any big tips of where to go?
Was thinking of Northumberland or The Lakes? Is Scotland and the lakes abit chilly and rainy in Feb time to get lots done while your there? Any other recommendations welcome just not the peak district or North Wales
Climb anywhere from 6aish to 7a/b ish if that helps
Cheers

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
#1 Re: Where to go Feb time?
January 13, 2012, 10:26:20 pm
If this link is to be believed, Font could be a good bet in February.

Gritlad

• obsessive maniac
  • I'm not actually much of a lad.
#2 Re: Where to go Feb time?
January 13, 2012, 11:51:33 pm
dont think i can really go abroad  :boohoo:

underground

• forum hero
#3 Re: Where to go Feb time?
January 14, 2012, 02:22:46 am
February's a funny month, the weather can be amazing - the last 2 years I worked for a company, I had to take a week off work in Feb to use up my annual leave - think it was the third week both times, and the weather was amazing - clear, cold, dry - i.e. perfect for the grit, at any rate - the nearest in question being Burbage Boulders 10 mins away (to give you an idea of where I am, as I expect the weather in Scotland etc. to be much more wintery still)

Last time I went to Northumberland in winter, with fatboyslimfast, we had a week there and climbed 2 days, one of those was wet. I think I still have the membership card for the Spar shop's video library in Belford :lol:

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#4 Re: Where to go Feb time?
January 14, 2012, 05:48:06 pm
Northumberland - easy choice, driest place in the whole of Northern UK, great bouldering, even some wet weather options. Disadvantages is it might get a bit samey, only 2 sheltered crags if it's windy, could run out of skin.

Lakes - lots of variety in a compact area, easy to escape to Northumberland if needed, good time to go when it's not rammed with fucking tourists. Disadvantages is the real classic stuff is well spread out and some areas might be a bit damp / bleak in the shade of the hills.

Scotland - some great bouldering and amazing lines (Torridon Reiff Ruthven Glen Nevis), beautiful situations, will beat the midges, some rain shadow options. Disadvantages is it's hugely spread out, the weather can be a lot more variable, and rain shadow options can seem many hours away.

Really the sensible thing to do is to check the forecast the day before and make your plans then. There's enough hostels/bunkhouses in all those areas that will be free at that time of year. If it's dry in Scotland go there. If not, the Lakes. If not, the County. If it rains in your first choice head East and/or South as required.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal