UKBouldering.com

Specialized Pitch Comp '09 (Read 3400 times)

Iesu

• obsessive maniac
Specialized Pitch Comp '09
January 06, 2012, 02:59:36 pm
I've been offered a Pitch at silly money. tempted to go for it as never had a boingy bike and quite fancy more trail riding.

some parts seem brand spanking new, drivetrain seems to have seen better days, brakes and wheels *seem* fine.

RS PIKE forks (no idea). Anyone rate the frame? That's what I'd be laying down the money for.

Largish fork-out for drumming equipment coming up due to a studio booking for recording so undecided whether to splash the cash; also bad back has kept me off my hardtail for the past few weeks.

Is the frame worth it? please help me decide...

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#1 Re: Specialized Pitch Comp '09
January 06, 2012, 03:45:04 pm
pics, price, full spec and the armchair pundits here will be happy to give advice.. esp me.

what do you actually want to do with it?

can you not ride cause of yr back? are u hoping the new bouncer will help?

Iesu

• obsessive maniac
#2 Re: Specialized Pitch Comp '09
January 06, 2012, 04:12:42 pm
I'm pretty sure it's a standard spec Spesh Pitch Comp '09 like this one.

The circumstances of the sale are slightly "unusual". Basically I park my bike (when commuting) at the Leeds Cyclepoint. Apparently they have a policy that unclaimed bikes left for 3 months become property of Cyclepoint and they are at liberty to sell on. They offered it to me for £150. It's got shiny almost brand new Thompson stem and seatpost (must be over £100 there on their own?). Like I said it's seen a fair bit of wear and tear.

My main aim is to do a bit more "aggressive" trail centre riding; i've always been intrigued by what would be possible on a full susser (my hardtail is more of an all-day trail bike than a huckable jump style ride).

my basic question is whether or not the Pitch is a decent full suss frame to buy now with a view to spend  more cash in future on new bits (drivetrain near term, wheels/forks longer term)?

Hopefully my back issues are only a temporary thing.

underground

• forum hero
#3 Re: Specialized Pitch Comp '09
January 06, 2012, 05:42:55 pm
For £150 I'd be snapping their arm off and deciding later.

gingerninja

• menacing presence
#4 Re: Specialized Pitch Comp '09
January 06, 2012, 05:46:45 pm
from what i have heard is that they are a really good bike, and for that money buy it. if you dont like it you can sell it for 3 to 4 times what you paid for it. 

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#5 Re: Specialized Pitch Comp '09
January 06, 2012, 05:48:20 pm
I agree - check it for cracks and grab a bargain if it looks ok.

Stubbs

#6 Re: Specialized Pitch Comp '09
January 06, 2012, 05:50:23 pm
^^^ What they all said: if you don't like it once you've bought it sell it for profit!  Is there a police register you can check in yorks for stolen bikes?  Seems odd that someone would have forgotten about it...

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#7 Re: Specialized Pitch Comp '09
January 06, 2012, 06:10:43 pm

I was thinking it's quite possible it's stolen or abandoned for an insurance claim - Cyclepoint must be aware of that possibility; you'd think they'd have some sort of policy in place that indemnifies the buyer from legal action down the line?

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#8 Re: Specialized Pitch Comp '09
January 06, 2012, 10:45:31 pm
buy it.

now.

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
  • High Rocks? Best crag in the country mate.....
    • John Horscroft - Writer
#9 Re: Specialized Pitch Comp '09
January 07, 2012, 10:03:30 am
I second all of the above.  My best mate bought one a while back and loves it to bits.  Excellent all rounder, stable at speed over the rough stuff yet still corners like it's on rails.  Buy the fecker....  :thumbsup:

Iesu

• obsessive maniac
#10 Re: Specialized Pitch Comp '09
January 10, 2012, 02:20:43 pm
my initial thoughts were to buy now ask questions later when offered in mid december. I decided to chew it over and see how the finances were looking after the festive holiday. I popped in on saturday with sweaty palms ready to make a deal only to discover they had promised it to someone else (a fellow EVANS employee).

oh well

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal