UKBouldering.com

Anyone been to LA? (Read 2562 times)

Red

• addict
Anyone been to LA?
December 29, 2011, 04:39:55 am
Alright all

We are venturing off to LA for a few days on the way to Bishop for a bit of a tourism jaunt. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations of what to do/miss. We would be grateful for any advice so we can strike some of the following of this fairly unrealistic list (or add some on we have missed!):

Venice Boardwalk/Canal Walk
Manhattan Beach
Downtown LA/Grand Central Market
El Pueblo/Olvera Street
Universal Studios/Warner Brothers Studio Tour (very expensive - are they worth the $$? If so, which one is best?)
Getty Museum
Griffith Park Observatory
Hollywood
Farmers Market and The Grove
Six Flags Magic Mountain
Sunset Boulevard
Mulholland Drive

Also, we have a van - would driving around or getting public transport be better for more central attractions?

Any advice would be very much appreciated! Thanks very much.

Yossarian

• forum hero
#1 Re: Anyone been to LA?
December 29, 2011, 06:49:24 am
I didn't really do exactly what I wanted last time I was in LA (the first time I went the plane crashed so not a terribly successful trip) as I was staying with my folks' friends.  However, I did manage to do a few things on my list which were great.

The Getty is pretty awesome, and definitely recommended.

The Norton Simon museum and the Huntingdon Library are great too, but would only recommend if you're on a serious cultural mission. Ditto the Gene Autry American West museum. Didn't go to the Museum of Contemporary Art, but kind of wish I had.

Had a lot of fun driving around the Hollywood Hills / Mulholland, etc on an architectural tour - lots of craning of neck trying to keep an eye on the Chemosphere whilst trying to not crash.

Didn't really spend any time wandering around on foot, and so missed out seeing Venice / Hollywood / Downtown.

We did go to the Magic Mountain place though. Quite amazing rides, but I was feeling pretty ropey by the end of the day.

Have a cool time...

Stubbs

#2 Re: Anyone been to LA?
December 29, 2011, 08:28:31 am
I stayed in Newport Beach with a friend on our way back from Bishop; an interesting place to visit if you want to see beach house architecture where money is no object.  The only other place we went was Venice beach, which is pretty much a necessity so that you can pose down like Arnold and check out the effects of too many steroids close up!  The beach is also very nice and the boardwalk is obvs super touristy, but there are plenty of interesting people to stare at.

As I believe someone once said in a song, LA is a great big freeway, so getting around in a van isn't a problem, pretty sure there was a wini parked at Venice beach when we were there.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#3 Re: Anyone been to LA?
December 29, 2011, 09:33:53 am
the only memory I have about LA is spending a night with my girlfriend in hospital due to food poisoning. she passed out at the gate before embarking and minutes later we were in the ambulance. I was fine though, and had to spend a night in the waiting room, in which I was the only caucasian (not so much after 3 weeks in Cali), the only one not dressed in a sport suit, and the only one under 185 cm and 110 kg...
every 15 minutes they brought in someone handcuffed and/or shot.
but the real nightmare began when the lady asked me "do you have an insurance?"
I would avoid this if I were you, and spend my entire time SURFING.
enjoy.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#4 Anyone been to LA?
December 29, 2011, 11:22:46 am
If you do want to go surfing...
Get a local guide, it all gets bit tribal there and the "locals only" thing can get out of hand.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#5 Re: Anyone been to LA?
December 29, 2011, 01:13:14 pm
We went to Universal Studios and did the Studio tour was part of it. Avoid going on a weekend, and get there early as there is a lot to get through. We left the studio tour until late in the day, and the queue was massive. We got there and realised we wouldbe at least an hour waiting and were talking amongst urselves as to wether it was worth the wait. One of the hosts must have heard the accents as we turned around to walk away and let us under the velvet rope and onto the VIP carriage - no queue and the live tour guide, instead of just a tv screen. Worth a try to avoid queues. We had a great day there, and if you like that sort of thing it's worthwhile. The rides are definitely more visual than white knuckle, for which 6 flags is better bet.

We had a minivan and drove everywhere. It's definitely set up for driving and parking isn't a problem as the van was the same size as most family saloons.

Go to Venice Beach and see if you can blag a chance on the rings, if the locals will let you.

Dr T

• forum hero
#6 Re: Anyone been to LA?
December 29, 2011, 01:15:36 pm
It was over 20 years ago but if you've any interest in natural history then La Brea tar pits is a must

Charlton Chestwig

• regular
#7 Re: Anyone been to LA?
December 29, 2011, 01:30:41 pm

Check opening times for 6 flags...

:wall:

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#8 Anyone been to LA?
December 29, 2011, 02:21:30 pm
+1 on La Brea....
Must have been 10 when I saw that first, had a love of Geology ever since...

Red

• addict
#9 Re: Anyone been to LA?
December 31, 2011, 08:33:07 am
Thanks for the replies everyone, that's really useful.

We will definitely be

1. avoiding hospital
2. talking loudly in british accents (m'lud)
3. checking magic mountain opening times
4. asking these nice gentlemen if they wouldn't mind awfully if we could borrow their dumbells

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal