Mother's Ruin (Read 50535 times)

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#125 Re: Mother's Ruin
April 05, 2020, 06:23:15 pm
Nice one Paul!
I've got a few bottles as well at the moment. Gin wise, a surprise: Yu Gin (see what they did here?) French distilled with Japanese herbs. Sup(h)erb.

andy popp

• forum hero
#126 Re: Mother's Ruin
April 05, 2020, 07:01:02 pm
Nice resurrection!

This still remains a firm favourite:
Tanqueray Flor de Sevilla

They have this at the store down the road; I've been very tempted but have not yet succumbed.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#127 Re: Mother's Ruin
April 05, 2020, 07:17:52 pm
I'm currently consuming far more alcohol (mostly in gin form but also some whisky and the occasional rum) during the lockdown. I'm trying to justify it by picking topical films such as Public Enemy and Lawless  :alky:. So, on that note I thought I'd resurrect this thread:

Does anyone have thoughts on the Malfy Con Limone or similar?
Cotswolds Dry Gin - we received this as a Christmas present and it's reasonably nice but I wouldn't rush out to buy it again.
Tarquin’s Cornish Gin - again, another Christmas present but this one isn't really doing it for me. Overly dry?
Drumshanbo Gunpowder Gin bought by a member of this parish. I'm quite impressed by it TBF.

I rather like Malfy.  Brockmans is another favourite in the fruity line - slightly raspberry flavoured.  Those two are about as far away from the traditional gin as I can go - any less juniper forward and you're in the realm of flavoured vodka.

I've not had any for ages but I really liked Cotswalds gin myself - seem to a recall a slight parma violet taste and it going slightly hazy when I added tonic - such a high concentration of alcohol soluble flavour that it dropped out of solution.

Martin Miller's is a good standard option that is often on special offer - very clean and citrussy.

Thomas Dakin seems to split opinion with its use of horse radish but I really like it. 

I'm not a fan of the Botanist - gets rave reviews citing its 20+ botanicals but it just tasted muddled to me.  I preferred Bloom and Brecon Botanicals which are a lot cheaper.

Best London dry, juniper dominated gin I've had recently is No.3 Gin by Berry Bros. & Rudd (green bottle with a key embossed on it) - really fresh, piney juniper.

My favourite "standard" supermarket option is Tanqueray - pretty much the epitome of a London gin for me, and at 43% seems to have a bit more flavour.  Beefeater is a good cheap fall-back option.  Bulldog, despite the horrendous branding and packaging is okay and worth picking up when it is on offer, which is often. 

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#128 Re: Mother's Ruin
April 05, 2020, 07:53:07 pm

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#129 Re: Mother's Ruin
April 06, 2020, 07:57:50 am
I'm currently consuming far more alcohol (mostly in gin form but also some whisky and the occasional rum) during the lockdown. I'm trying to justify it by picking topical films such as Public Enemy and Lawless  :alky:. So, on that note I thought I'd resurrect this thread:

Does anyone have thoughts on the Malfy Con Limone or similar?
Cotswolds Dry Gin - we received this as a Christmas present and it's reasonably nice but I wouldn't rush out to buy it again.
Tarquin’s Cornish Gin - again, another Christmas present but this one isn't really doing it for me. Overly dry?
Drumshanbo Gunpowder Gin bought by a member of this parish. I'm quite impressed by it TBF.

I've had Tarquins, I thought it was very pleasant, I had it almost freezer cold and neat, (no ice) as though it was a good vodka.

kelvin

• forum hero
#130 Re: Mother's Ruin
April 06, 2020, 09:42:42 am
We've just finished a bottle of Warner's Elderberry, a nice local tipple from a village just up the road.
My girlfriend is convinced that the £15 bottle of Gordon's Pink gin we drank alongside it, at half the cost, is a better drop. I think she has issues about spending lots on a bottle of spirits.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#131 Re: Mother's Ruin
April 06, 2020, 09:46:35 am
I've just gone through a second bottle of this

https://www.glasgowdistillery.com/item/8/Makar/Makar-Oak-Aged-Gin.html

Such an amazing taste. I've had it recommended with ginger ale, but i think it kills the flavour, prefer it with traditional tonic.

Durbs

• forum hero
#132 Re: Mother's Ruin
April 06, 2020, 11:28:45 am
We've just opened our first Martin Miller which I really like, but the Mrs less-so.

Still enjoy Silent Pool, but they're bumped the price up quite a bit which makes it a hard choice, same as Chase.

Had some Jaw Box which wasn't for me - very light on the juniper, and to my pallet just tasted of a lightly spiced vodka rather than a gin.

The Aldi Harrison Gin was nice - nothing special, but good for the price.

I generally struggle to justify spending over £30 for a gin, saving the money for rum.

Aside form G&T, been smashing the Negronis and Martinis, as well we more tarty cocktails like a Moonlight or Water Lily (essentially the same cocktail, but different ratios).

I'm more a rum guy (nice rums, not Bacardi), and recently delved into Rum and Tonic, which with the right rum, is really good.

kelvin

• forum hero
#133 Re: Mother's Ruin
April 06, 2020, 11:55:32 am
We've just finished a bottle of Warner's Elderberry, a nice local tipple from a village just up the road.
My girlfriend is convinced that the £15 bottle of Gordon's Pink gin we drank alongside it, at half the cost, is a better drop. I think she has issues about spending lots on a bottle of spirits.

Paul B

• forum hero
#134 Re: Mother's Ruin
April 06, 2020, 01:05:02 pm
I rather like Malfy.  Brockmans is another favourite in the fruity line

Just the standard version?

Thomas Dakin seems to split opinion with its use of horse radish but I really like it. 

I've only had this neat at Manchester airport before getting on a flight. I obviously enjoyed it as I've taken a photo of the bottle (either that or I meant to ensure I avoided it  :tumble:)

I'm not a fan of the Botanist - gets rave reviews

I enjoyed it

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal