UKBouldering.com

Elbo gripes - rehab (Read 3189 times)

keefe

Elbo gripes - rehab
December 22, 2011, 07:08:18 pm
Hi all,

Golfer's Elbow rehab programmes have been done to death & I think I have the general gist of it - but there are still a couple of questions.
What I've done so far is:
1) Taken my own advice & seen a physio.
2) Taken the physio's advice & done some exercises (3 days of it already). Luckily, these were the ones (eccentric contractions - covered extensively here & on various other climbing sites) I had already started to do.
3) Stop doing whatever was hurting it. This is where I started to struggle. Partly - identifying exactly what triggered it. OK - I stopped climbing activities for 8 & a half days & am now trying to ease myself back into it. Luckily this will be a nice gradual process as the family Xmas trip to Ireland is just a day away  :alky:.

I'm not too sure what it was in particular that triggered it - campussing? (I always reckoned i was too weak to pull hard enough to injure myself campussing), pull-ups?, some particular set of moves I haven't identified yet? - or just general overuse?.

The main question I have - are - what are the best exercises for setting it off again - i.e. the ones to avoid:

• campusing?
  • fingerboard (crimps?, slopers?, two fingers?, open-handing?)
  • pull-ups?
  • bouldering (crimpy?, slopey? steep?, dynamic?)

Any advice or positive experiences to share?

:punk:
Thanks

tomtom

• forum hero
#1 Elbo gripes - rehab
December 22, 2011, 09:10:23 pm
Avoid finger boards, campusing and pull ups.. Straight arm dead hangs might be ok... But just be sensible - your elbows are protesting for a reason!

jcm

• player
#2 Re: Elbo gripes - rehab
December 23, 2011, 12:07:10 am
In my experience pull-ups are by far the best way to aggravate golfer's elbow.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#3 Re: Elbo gripes - rehab
December 23, 2011, 08:39:17 am
Antagonistic press-ups are said to be of some utility in staving off symptoms.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#4 Elbo gripes - rehab
December 23, 2011, 09:07:56 am

Why are you arguing with your press ups?

tomtom

• forum hero
#5 Elbo gripes - rehab
December 23, 2011, 09:34:55 am

Why are you arguing with your press ups?

Oh no I'm not.... ;)

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#6 Re: Elbo gripes - rehab
December 23, 2011, 09:41:05 am

An unvaried diet of crimpy traversing on a stone wall (ie typical early 80s training) did for me.

Several decades later, I found I could reproduce my elbow pain precisely from a trigger point in my serratus anterior.  Sausage here has suggested that a lot of climber's elbow is related to shoulder problems.  Looking beyond the local site of the problem could be useful.

I found push-ups a bit harsh but side-planks, which I was doing for a shoulder problem, seem to have abolished the elbow pains as well as improve the shoulder.  'Stabilising' the shoulder?  Influencing serratus in some way?  Perhaps push-ups work in a similar way.

In my experience pull-ups are by far the best way to aggravate golfer's elbow.
That presents a dilemma: how to manage the requisite number to win Alezee's heart without destroying your elbows in the process.

keefe

#7 Re: Elbo gripes - rehab
December 23, 2011, 01:35:24 pm

I found push-ups a bit harsh but side-planks, which I was doing for a shoulder problem, seem to have abolished the elbow pains as well as improve the shoulder.  'Stabilising' the shoulder?  Influencing serratus in some way?  Perhaps push-ups work in a similar way.

Cheers all,

Interesting observation on side-planks Duncan. I was doing these as part of general core & stability exercise, but they had fallen by the wayside a bit - in parallel to an increase in the injury-demon-exercises (pull-ups & campus). Maybe it's time to re-introduce the planks.

tomtom

• forum hero
#8 Elbo gripes - rehab
December 23, 2011, 01:38:07 pm
Falling downs Russian bell lifts are a great exercise.. A real back shoulder work out.. Nt sure if it helped my elbows but certainly didn't make them any worse...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal