UKBouldering.com

Economics, Growth and Finite Resources (Read 165897 times)

petejh

• forum hero
Makes sense in the long-term (next 30- 50 years of reducing demand) for the Saudis to kill off as many competitors as they can while they have the wealth to do it - Canuk oil sands, US shale, even the North Sea are all deeply hurting and any new projects aren't feasible at these prices.
The Albertan oil sands oil isn't worth producing from exisitng sub-surface mines at a price below $50 per barrel - and any new sub-surface projects require a price of $80 a barrel to make them profitable.
If the price rebounds just enough to keep the Suadis happy, but not too much to make it economical to do anything other than run dry the exisiting, slightly more expensive reserves (US, N.Sea etc etc) and the v.expensive (Canada), then it's a job well done. Peak oil - not due to reserves running out, due to price - as per British coal.

Teaboy

• forum hero
So the good news from all this is that if we buy shares in companies which produce easily extractable oil we should make a killing in the medium term? Who are they, presumably Saudi Arbia when they float their oli producing industry? Anyone else?

The other way I might benefit is that I could buy the Merc CL I've always wanted as they go for a song second hand on account too doing about 12mpg

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#477 Economics, Growth and Finite Resources
January 21, 2016, 05:28:05 pm
The negativity is spreading...

http://www.economist.com/blogs/buttonwood/2016/01/markets?fsrc=scn/fb/te/bl/ed/marketsisthisreally2008alloveragain

Oh and if you think 2008 is all a distant memory and we're all hunky-dory here on the Western front...

I'm so happy for you, not depending on incapacity benefit to survive or any of the other, many, groups for whom "Austerity" is more than a tired headline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 05:34:04 pm by Oldmanmatt »

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

andy popp

• forum hero
Just read an excellent book that might appeal to followers of this thread; Pivotal Decade: How the United States Traded Factories for Finance in the Seventies by Judith Stein (Yale University Press) - a surprisingly pacy dual narrative of US economic policy and presidential election cycles across said 70s. Increasingly I think the 70s is critical to understanding where we are today and this book provided a lot of insights.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
 :wave:
Interesting read...

The Seas Will Save Us: How an Army of Ocean Farmers are Starting an Economic Revolution

That's a really interesting article - thanks.  I shared it on LinkedIn and it seemed to resonate.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
That looks good Andy.  I just read an interesting book on the digital economy and what's gone wrong by Douglas Rushkoff called Throwing Rocks at the Google Bus.  Review on my company blog here

andy popp

• forum hero
Thanks Ben. Just back from a conference where one panel Paul focused on reactions to Daniel T. Rodgers Age of Fracture (which I haven't yet read). Like Stein, Rodgers seems to see some sort of climacteric in the last quarter of the C20th, with radical breaks in politics, economics and business. Yet other papers saw some strong continuities too, things that Rushkoff also seems to empathise. Happy to led my copy of the Stein.

tomtom

• forum hero

andy popp

• forum hero
Maybe not unreasonably - like I say, I haven't read and there is undoubtedly much bad social science writing. That said the panel I saw was discussing things of real relevance: current uses of big data; real concrete changes in life and car insurance etc. But if in doubt read the Stein, no shortage of relevance there - but then again, Stein is an historian.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Just reading David Mackay's obituary pointed me to his book (which is free on-line/PDF)...

Sustaonable Energy - Without Hot Air by David Mackay

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#487 Re: Economics, Growth and Finite Resources
December 06, 2016, 12:51:45 pm
Mark Carney gives a great summary of where we are today

Transcript here: www.bankofengland.co.uk/publications/Documents/speeches/2016/speech946.pdf

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#488 Re: Economics, Growth and Finite Resources
September 14, 2022, 12:33:55 pm
After reading about Biden's environmental tax credit scheme, it got me wondering about the relative strengths of different incentives.

In the UK we seem to use more subsidies and guaranteed pricing (CfD auction etc) and regulation to encourage/enforce environmental improvements, but the first article I read about this was also saying that it would be anti-inflationary.

Anyone Economics wads got any good explainers on subsidies vs tax credits and their impact on inflation and/or pricing/performance?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal