UKBouldering.com

Panasonic Gh2 or Canon EOS 550D (Read 2538 times)

ianto9

• player
Panasonic Gh2 or Canon EOS 550D
December 08, 2011, 08:18:06 am
I'm going to buy one of these but would like help deciding.The canon seems more popular due to the lenses,but the Gh2 has great reviews,i want it for stills as well as filming in equal measure.So has anyone got/used either of these and what would you recommend and why?
cheers

namnok

• forum abuser
  • John May Lives
#1 Re: Panasonic Gh2 or Canon EOS 550D
December 08, 2011, 08:25:21 am
i'd personally go for canon, i have the 500d and i'm very happy with it.

Paul B

• forum hero
#2 Re: Panasonic Gh2 or Canon EOS 550D
December 08, 2011, 11:02:33 am
The canon seems more popular due to the lenses

I don't really get your point here? With the flange to sensor distance of the new mirrorless camera's they can take almost ANY lens with an appropriate (cheap) adapter and with focus peaking (certainly on the Sony NEX range) manual focussing isn't that much of a downside. This opens up access to a whole load of fairly inexpensive glass.

As has been pointed out elsewhere on here, with the Micro 4/3rds standard, if you don't like what Panasnoic are doing in a few years time you can take all your lenses over to Olympus or elsewhere. With Canon, if they stick yet another old AF system into their next range of bodies to keep people buying upwards, you just have to take it.

All in all they are two different systems, with pro's and con's of each. If portability is at all a concern then consider the Micro 4/3rds route seriously.

Its also worth noting that Sony currently pack the biggest sensor for the smallest body with the NEX-7 although there own brand lenses are supposedly a bit average.

ducko

• junky
#3 Re: Panasonic Gh2 or Canon EOS 550D
February 01, 2012, 07:04:36 pm
550d great camera awsome hd video good still lightweight easy to find second hand lenses,
i love mine personally! ive not heard anything bad about the g2 thou

andyd

• forum hero
    • https://vimeo.com/user14959179
#4 Re: Panasonic Gh2 or Canon EOS 550D
February 01, 2012, 07:29:51 pm
Manual focus is a ball ache. Canon lenses are great. I had a 40d and now have a 7d. I'm really happy with canon. An adapter will also make the lens longer which is a space issue and will, to a lesser extent, give it more leverage when mounted on a tripod so it will move more easily.

I'd go with Nikon or canon if I was starting out again, however over time, I can see Panasonic being a natural contender.

Milford Cubicle

• player
#5 Re: Panasonic Gh2 or Canon EOS 550D
February 02, 2012, 02:42:12 pm
I have a 550d and love it but havn't used any other dslr's so can't judge it against anything...

x

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal