UKBouldering.com

Finger training - little and often or bigger sessions ? (Read 12878 times)

Serpico

• forum hero
    • The Craig Y Longridge Wiki
...what exactly do you do on them?.....When i say lots i'd guess its usually a 10-15 min session.

Your approach is little and hardly at all by the sound of it.  :spank:

If you are going to do 10-15min sessions you should be thinking in terms of doing that several times a day for gains as opposed to ticking over. 

If you were going to train your biceps with 3 sets of curls it wouldn't take you more than 10mins (including rest periods), and you wouldn't do that 3 times a day.
Just because we spend all day at the crag doesn't mean we should spend all day on the fingerboard.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Obviously Shark, eliminating 'take' from your vocabulary would bear more fruit than any amount of hanging - but God forbid you work your REAL weakness  :ras:

You've mentioned this and I don't think it inhibits my climbing - I do go for it above bolts if a redpoint or onsight is on the cards.

I can think of another four letter word you should eliminate from your vocabulary...

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
...what exactly do you do on them?.....When i say lots i'd guess its usually a 10-15 min session.

If you are going to do 10-15min sessions you should be thinking in terms of doing that several times a day for gains as opposed to ticking over. 

If you were going to train your biceps with 3 sets of curls it wouldn't take you more than 10mins (including rest periods), and you wouldn't do that 3 times a day.
Just because we spend all day at the crag doesn't mean we should spend all day on the fingerboard.

So how much, how often do you think is optimal ?

Serpico

• forum hero
    • The Craig Y Longridge Wiki

So how much, how often do you think is optimal ?

:shrug: and it'd probably be different for you anyway.
Scroll to page 15 for some further reading.

haz

Apologies if this is off topic, avoiding making numerous threads about roughly the same ideas.

Does anyone have opinions about repeaters - when struggling to complete a set, would you drop the time of hang off or the number of reps?

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted

Actually meant to ask about rock rings and went off on a tangent...
Never used them.
Worth it?

I only use them / have them, as they were a freebie ages ago, and i do not currently have any other options which are less of a pain than driving to a crag to hang off some shit holds. They are notably less productive than a (well designed) fingerboard, but better than FA. I am not convinced of the applicability of the 'freehanging holds develop core, and shoulder stability' claims for them; i think they have value, though it is limited.

webbo

• forum hero
Apologies if this is off topic, avoiding making numerous threads about roughly the same ideas.

Does anyone have opinions about repeaters - when struggling to complete a set, would you drop the time of hang off or the number of reps?
Use a bigger hold.

cjsheps

• obsessive maniac
  • The Hero Gotham Deserves.
of course, i'm not expert but here's my two cents...

i find that there's a definite value in longer sessions - you can really get into the exercise, and of course it teaches you to battle on and try hard. however, i used to train until i felt like collapsing (in some case, actually ending up lying in a heap on the floor) but all this did was mean that i could only muster up the energy to train hard like once a week

i'd say that a month prioritising the fingers is enough - when not doing so i'd still have one maintenance session a week if fingers are that much of an issue. 1-2hour sessions mixing it up is good during the intensive stint are about right - twice a week and you'll be able to feel the gains by the end of the phase.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted

I detailed the whole session on my blog
I am only using rock rings because I dont have access to a fingerboard during the day. The offset pull-ups sound like a good idea although I don't do them currently.

ditto, i only use rockrings when they are the only available option, and usually as a supplement to a day on the crag.

I would question (as Serpico has, I think) the specificity / applicability / benefit of hanging off the bloody things for an hour a day though. Apart from anything else I'm not sure I have the will!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal