UKBouldering.com

Tintwistle Knarr Boulders (Read 3529 times)

Nike Air

• forum abuser
Tintwistle Knarr Boulders
November 30, 2011, 10:42:20 pm
Anybody ventured up to these boulders recently, wondered if they are in good nick?

dan lane

• regular
#1 Re: Tintwistle Knarr Boulders
December 01, 2011, 08:31:43 am
Probably would have been alright until last night's rain. They could still be ok, but don't quote me on that!

BenF

• forum hero
#2 Re: Tintwistle Knarr Boulders
December 02, 2011, 07:41:34 am
I'd put money on it that they're wet now I'm afraid.  Give them a couple of dry days with a breeze and they should be dry though.

Nike Air

• forum abuser
#3 Re: Tintwistle Knarr Boulders
December 02, 2011, 07:56:54 am
aye I think so too now, that was a lot of rain last night.
Shaffordshire it is then....
Thanks.

JamieG

• forum hero
#4 Re: Tintwistle Knarr Boulders
October 18, 2020, 02:26:13 pm
Unfortunately the usual car park has been now blocked with boulders. I've put a comment on the BMC access database and wonder if they can contact the landowner and find out what the problem is. Usually fly-tipping.

The larger lay-by back towards Tintwistle village would be an option with a walk along the road (bit busy). But at the moment it is closed for roadworks (looks like they are fixing the wall).

Looking on the CRoW map the boulders aren't actually covered, just the quarry and apparently people have been told not to climb on the boulders before according the another comment on the BMC access website. Copied below

"Went to climb the boulders 23.06.20 told by farmer with a gun that it is private land below the track and no climbing is allowed..so the quarry seems to be okay but we were watched out to make sure we didn't climb the boulders"

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#5 Re: Tintwistle Knarr Boulders
January 27, 2022, 01:49:07 pm
Any update on this? Was pondering a visit, but that comment on the BMC site is a little off-putting.

JamieG

• forum hero
#6 Re: Tintwistle Knarr Boulders
January 27, 2022, 02:28:18 pm
Sorry r-man I haven't driven that way recently. Last time I went past (quite a few months ago) the boulders were still in the normal small car park and the lay-by was being used for roadworks (or wall fixing or something). I have no idea of the current situation. You always have the back up plan of crowden if the parking are still both closed. I think the woods below the quarry and boulders are used for rearing pheasants, so that is probably why the farmer or game keepers are a bit twitchy. The season for shooting though is over at the start of Feb so I would imagine there would be less risk of being asked to leave after that.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#7 Re: Tintwistle Knarr Boulders
January 27, 2022, 04:25:26 pm
There's muddy but spacious verge parking between the layby and the original fucked-up-by-the-fucking-farmer parking.

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#8 Re: Tintwistle Knarr Boulders
January 28, 2022, 01:59:59 am
Thanks both. Seems worth a go then. Will report back if we get over there, in a couple of weeks.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal