UKBouldering.com

weight training for climbing (Read 5388 times)

MrBlue

• regular
weight training for climbing
March 24, 2004, 08:02:14 pm
hello there...
i checked the topics before posting, so forgive me if this has already been asked and is lurking around somewhere...

i've knackered my big toe on my left foot to the extent that i'm unable to climb to a level where i'm getting any stronger, because i can't push myself (it's a tad painful). at present i'm reduced to doing a bit of work on my doorframe ( i don't have a fingerboard or campus board :cry: ) and that's about it.

what i was wondering was whether it would be beneficial to get a set of those cheap barbells from argos or index, and do a few reps (a la gresham pyramids on planetfear) in the morning and the evening, to keep up my upper-body strength (i'm of the body type where it takes a long time to gain strength but i can lose it very quickly).

anyways, sorry for the long garbled post, hope that makes sense and someone can give me some advice :)

Doylo

• forum hero
#1 weight training for climbing
March 24, 2004, 08:09:20 pm
A man after my own heart!

try it, got to be better than doing nothing!

Tim Heaton

• addict
#2 Barbell routines
March 25, 2004, 11:37:27 am
That has pretty much been my program since have been off climbing for 5 weeks now with a screwed finger. Just started climbing again recently but am back to being crap and only trying easy things while it slowly strengthens again. Hence can't tell if it really helps that much or not, can't do any harm as haven't put any weight on but definitely got stronger. I posted a while ago here my weights program that I was recommended by a proper weights coach (not a gym personal trainer) if you have access to a gym. An alternative he suggested to me if I only had access to a barbell was a complex (apparently meaning lots of exercises together and not in fact difficult to understand :wink: ) program that you can find at http://old.jccc.net/~ijavorek/bookdb.html. You use the same weight for all the exercises so you have to load up the bar with the weight you can do for the weakest movement. If you want any more advice I would recommend looking at http://www.exrx.net/ as that is where I got my advice, they seem to know what they are talking about and are really friendly if you ask questions.

danielb

• regular
    • http://www.danielb.org.uk
#3 weight training for climbing
March 25, 2004, 06:02:23 pm
That first link does not work I get a 404 error :(

I'd be interested in any strength training advice, as I'm currently stuck without any climbing nearby  but I want to get strong for when I get back to the UK and can get stuck into climbing!

There is a gym in the apartment complex I live in so it looks like weights is what I want to do but I've always been a swimmer so I have no real idea about how to weight train!

Daniel

MrBlue

• regular
#4 weight training for climbing
March 25, 2004, 07:37:35 pm
yeah, the link to the barbell training is dead...which is a shame as it would be ideal for what i would have access to (being a bit skint and living in london isn't the ideal combination for having access to a gym) :(

the planetfear weights program is a bit confusing to a relative newbie to this weights malarkay; i may have to look at that other site you recommended. cheers :)

Paz

• junky
#5 weight training for climbing
March 25, 2004, 08:18:17 pm
There's just a slight typo, in that the link reads blah.html. instead of blah.html - try this: http://old.jccc.net/~ijavorek/bookdb.html

Tim Heaton

• addict
#6 weight training for climbing
March 26, 2004, 01:56:00 pm
Sorry about that, the altered link above is indeed what I meant to type. I ought to mention that I am no weights guru, as indeed anyone who has seen my scrawny frame  :lol: would immediately guess, I am only passing on what other people have told me. None of the exercises are particularly climbing based, just a general workout to get your whole body stronger. I have not tried this program but it did seem good for those with little equipment as the barbells you buy from Argos e.t.c only come with about 50kg weight hence rather limiting what you can do with them. However, I doubt I could complete a whole circuit in this program with anywhere near that weight. Also as it seems mainly designed for weightlifters rather than bodybuilders it shouldn't mean you put on too much bulk but rather make you more explosive if you do it correctly. One thing I would mention though is that you make sure you know how to do all the exercises properly and with correct form, don't try them with too heavy a weight and let your posture suffer and so get injured. I think it is much better to start off too light and do them all correctly just to learn how each exercise works. If necessary ask one of the 'big' people in the gym for a bit of advice, it is a bit embarrasing when you are struggling to lift the bar while they have so much weight on it that you think it might snap in two, but most of the ones I have spoken to are actually quite friendly and more than willing to help.

Paz

• junky
#7 weight training for climbing
March 26, 2004, 06:03:50 pm
What I really want to know is with your new found muscles:
Are women falling over at your feet?
Could you kill a man with your little finger like Bubba can?
How many extra size 5 cams can you manage on your rack?

Tim Heaton

• addict
#8 weight training for climbing
March 26, 2004, 06:08:22 pm
Unfortunately even after going to the gym my muscles have yet to be found :lol: Hang on is that one? Oh no it's just a spot, balls :wink:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#9 weight training for climbing
March 26, 2004, 06:14:41 pm
Quote from: "Paz"
Could you kill a man with your little finger like Bubba can?

:D

One day, but right now I'm at about the equivalent of VS on the Marial Arts scale....

a dense loner

• forum hero
#10 weight training for climbing
March 26, 2004, 06:39:16 pm
but right now I'm at about the equivalent of VS on the Marial Arts scale....

nice, is that some kind of advanced paper foldin. once u have learnt the art of waxing on n off maybe turn your talents to war, as in martial.  :wink:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#11 weight training for climbing
March 26, 2004, 06:45:13 pm
My paper-fu is strong  :wink:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal