UKBouldering.com

Legendary feats of strength (Read 347106 times)

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#675 Re: Legendary feats of strength
February 20, 2021, 04:24:00 pm
It should be self evident that a video in which no iron is featured, but lots of heelhooking does not belong here.
Oh! Is that a kneebar at the very start?
Back around.

remus

• forum hero
#676 Re: Legendary feats of strength
February 24, 2021, 11:35:51 am
Skip to 1:20 for the money shot.

Hard to tell whether there's some nestling going on but given he's jumping to it one armed I'll cut him some slack.

RobK

• stalker
#677 Re: Legendary feats of strength
February 24, 2021, 11:39:33 am
It's all those low intensity fingerboard sessions he's been doing  :whistle:

Bradders

• forum hero

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#679 Re: Legendary feats of strength
February 24, 2021, 09:52:16 pm
Well now I know how to say "Fuck me my finger pulp has squeeze back through my fingernails" in Japanese.

As for that Beastmaker jump thing, also impressive, and even the two handed one is quite bewildering. At 0:32, what muscles are stopping him sliding straight back off the slope?? I don't quite get the mechanics of it, no matter how strong your grip is.... 6mm edges make more sense to me.

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#680 Re: Legendary feats of strength
February 24, 2021, 10:01:42 pm
https://www.instagram.com/p/CLratUjjC3S/?igshid=hjudah62i564

:jaw:
Now that's worth of this thread. No one armers really but an impressive hang. As for the 45° I think it was agreed ages ago that friction stuff was out of this thread.
Now I'll go back to my own world in which the words "legendary" and "strength" still bear their meaning.

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
  • Dave Thomas is an annual climber to 1.7m, with strongly fragrant flowers
  • Don't die with your music still inside you ;)
#681 Re: Legendary feats of strength
February 24, 2021, 11:10:04 pm
I'm with you there Lore.

Maybe we need two channels, one for Iron :strongbench:
and one for rubber :ninja:
 ;D

There's a great old saying that's worth keeping in mind when training, "what gets measured gets done" - meaning, if you can put firm parameters to it, then it's measurable, and therefore recordable.

Bradders

• forum hero
#682 Re: Legendary feats of strength
February 25, 2021, 08:04:53 am
Now that's worth of this thread. No one armers really but an impressive hang.

Yeah agree only really 1 and a bit but still. It's the pain tolerance that gets me although he does look like he weighs about 10 grams.

Duma

• forum hero
#683 Re: Legendary feats of strength
February 25, 2021, 08:44:23 am
How is that 1 and a bit?? He starts at maybe 120 degrees, pulls just past 90 degrees, comes down and then attempts and fails to make any significant headway upwards a second time. The change in elbow angle is ~40° at best.

Agreed the pain tolerance, and skin strength is insane.

Bradders

• forum hero
#684 Re: Legendary feats of strength
February 25, 2021, 09:55:05 am
Haha fair enough, just saying I'd be psyched with that. Maybe I have low expectations.

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#685 Re: Legendary feats of strength
February 25, 2021, 03:13:30 pm
 :lol:

tomtom

• forum hero
#686 Re: Legendary feats of strength
February 25, 2021, 04:06:38 pm
I got to needing only 4kg of assist (3 on one arm) “doing” one armers like that... when I went to doing them from a straight arm to chin touching my thumb - I needed 12kg of assist :D

(Edit - on a huge hold though! 😂)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 04:15:37 pm by tomtom »

remus

• forum hero
#687 Re: Legendary feats of strength
February 25, 2021, 04:54:04 pm
How is that 1 and a bit?? He starts at maybe 120 degrees, pulls just past 90 degrees, comes down and then attempts and fails to make any significant headway upwards a second time. The change in elbow angle is ~40° at best.

Agreed the pain tolerance, and skin strength is insane.

Cheeky sticker behind the edge beta too, bet it's at least 6.1mm. Back around.

Bradders

• forum hero
#688 Re: Legendary feats of strength
March 03, 2021, 09:54:54 pm
Probably need a new "Legendary displays of pain tolerance" thread for some of the mental stuff going on in Japan atm:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CL8vd9BDgf6/?igshid=ezbq2jfbjc65

Apparently they only ever do 75% of each pull up though. So that's something.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#689 Re: Legendary feats of strength
March 03, 2021, 10:16:09 pm
Do we assume that both of these people weigh less than 50kg, which would lead to the question, is 2 full crimp half pull ups at bodyweight on one arm better than half a full crimp pull up at >2x bodyweight on 2 arms?!

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#690 Re: Legendary feats of strength
March 03, 2021, 11:41:00 pm
That is also not a 6mm edge.  it's a 11mm edge with 6mm flat, and 5mm slope

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#691 Re: Legendary feats of strength
March 04, 2021, 08:25:18 am
Why oh why does UKB not have "Back Around" emoji??

Bradders

• forum hero
#692 Re: Legendary feats of strength
March 04, 2021, 08:47:41 am

Are you sure? In other posts on his feed he shows a close up of the same edge and it looks like 6mm to me...

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#693 Re: Legendary feats of strength
March 04, 2021, 09:03:39 am
I am a bit perplexed by the position of the cut on the tip, it's almost mid way down.
Anyway the guy is a total monster.

AMorris

• obsessive maniac
  • Trying to find form
#694 Re: Legendary feats of strength
March 04, 2021, 11:42:13 am

Are you sure? In other posts on his feed he shows a close up of the same edge and it looks like 6mm to me...

Looking at it it almost looks like a bit of sneaky camera angling, but that is very cynical of me! It does appear to be 6mm flat and some amount of slope to my eyes, had never noticed this  :-\  stuff he is doing is still dirty though.

There seems to be an abundance of "half one armers" and fast counting on social media. I have found myself using the term "instagram 5 seconds" quite a lot recently (translation: 3 seconds). Every time I do a one armer I feel like I haven't locked out enough at the top, but if people are counting some of these... well  :lol: :worms:

User deactivated.

• forum hero
#695 Re: Legendary feats of strength
March 04, 2021, 01:00:22 pm
A legit one armer will always be from a straight arm hang and disengaged scapular to sternum touching the bar!

AMorris

• obsessive maniac
  • Trying to find form
#696 Re: Legendary feats of strength
March 04, 2021, 01:52:28 pm
A legit one armer will always be from a straight arm hang and disengaged scapular to sternum touching the bar!

What people consider a "legit one armer" seems to be as variable as what people consider to be good music. Front on/side on, slight engagement at bottom/straight arm, chin above the bar/shoulder to the bar, no leg movement/slight kip is fine. I even heard Pete W say "it only counts if its up down up again", though I am pretty sure he was joking. I have also noticed that people will tend to rule on other peoples one armers in a manner far more strict than they do their own!

Having said that, sternum touching the bar is a pretty extreme example! That would require some absurd lock height for one arm. Would probably require a little udge at the top since you would be going beyond lock. If this is the case, then I have never seen a single person do a one armer. I tend to just think if your chin is comfortably above the bar then that's fine, higher the lock the better.

We need to define a standard for form, I think. If there is any place to do it, it's here.

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#697 Re: Legendary feats of strength
March 04, 2021, 05:24:14 pm

Looking at it it almost looks like a bit of sneaky camera angling, but that is very cynical of me! It does appear to be 6mm flat and some amount of slope to my eyes, had never noticed this  :-\  stuff he is doing is still dirty though.

This post (https://www.instagram.com/p/CL3vCARDnnP/) camera angle seems a bit tricky to tell for sure, but I've seen this with quite a few hold makers. They added a new board in our gym where I can now yard on the 6mm like they're a 12mm because they have so much rounding not included in the size.

On the hold makers site, they show this (https://www.instagram.com/p/B_rsyzdDIBG/ second image) as a 2.5mm / 4mm which clearly shows that they have a flat 4mm, and a 2.5flat/1.5 slopey on the opposite side. 

webbo

• forum hero
#698 Re: Legendary feats of strength
March 04, 2021, 05:32:17 pm
Never mind the size does he actually do a pull up. He’s barely getting his nose to the height of his hands.

AMorris

• obsessive maniac
  • Trying to find form
#699 Re: Legendary feats of strength
March 04, 2021, 05:41:34 pm

This post (https://www.instagram.com/p/CL3vCARDnnP/) camera angle seems a bit tricky to tell for sure, but I've seen this with quite a few hold makers. They added a new board in our gym where I can now yard on the 6mm like they're a 12mm because they have so much rounding not included in the size.

On the hold makers site, they show this (https://www.instagram.com/p/B_rsyzdDIBG/ second image) as a 2.5mm / 4mm which clearly shows that they have a flat 4mm, and a 2.5flat/1.5 slopey on the opposite side.

Very weird. I guess if you are making holds that thin, you have to do something to give it rigidity, it can't just be a 2.5mm sliver of wood. Though I really don't know why you would do it this way and not just cut a 2.5mm edge into a thicker piece. Bet they sell well :lol:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal