UKBouldering.com

Sheffield bike theft (Read 6040 times)

tlr

• forum abuser
  • tim-russon.myportfolio Instagram tim_russon
    • Myportfolio
Sheffield bike theft
November 16, 2011, 02:09:36 pm
1am the other morning we were woken by the sound of somebody wrenching the garage door open and the security lights ablaze. I looked out to see some scrotoid trying to get through the gap he'd made. I shouted, expecting him to bugger off, but he carried on, and by the time I got my trousers on and went out he'd disappeared with a bike. Ecclesall Rd area.

A neighbour saw him drive off holding the bike out of the drivers window! But despite them getting the number plate, and the police arriving within a few minutes he was gone.

Worryingly, given his perseverence in the face of being discovered, and having set the house alarm and lights off we're thinking he knew that there were bikes inside. Unfortunately he has now seen how many...

So anyway, just (another)heads up to be careful with your bikes, and if anyone comes across the bike below as you are perusing Pinkbike or Ebay then please let me know.

Doubt he'll get much for it, not many people are going to want to sit on that saddle for long!

On the plus side the insurance company have been pretty good so far and I have a pretty bewildering choice of very expensive bikes to choose from. Might even be time for a 29er...

Completely custom Santa Cruz Superlight, XTR kit, ZTR wheels, white SIDs, Avid Elixr Rs (the wrong way round). As per picture except Ritchey stem and FSA K Force flat bars. 23lbs.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 02:18:21 pm by tlr »

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1 Re: Sheffield bike theft
November 16, 2011, 02:34:49 pm
Hope it turns up. (or not?) and I hope whoever ends up with it uses the wrong brake and smashes their skull.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#2 Re: Sheffield bike theft
November 16, 2011, 10:28:07 pm
v bad... this is often organised crime... city by city...

robertostallioni

• forum hero
#3 Re: Sheffield bike theft
November 16, 2011, 10:29:49 pm
Are you sleeping in the garage now?  :ninja:

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#4 Re: Sheffield bike theft
November 17, 2011, 12:14:42 am
Sorry to hear about your experience.

by the time I got my trousers on and went out

There's the problem - taking the time to get dressed. I'm pretty sure that if you kill a bike thief or burgler while you are completely naked then it doesn't even count as manslaughter. I have a great anecdote about me taking on a few scrotes on whilst completely naked - if I haven't posted it on the forum already, the story is available for the price of a pint...

More seriously, what do people do to secure their garages?

We are hopefully moving into a house with a garage and I have been thinking about how to scrote-proof it. It will not be used for storing cars. Was thinking about a bolt/padlock on each bottom corner in addition to the usual central lock/handle.

I know the formal advice is to lock/chain the bike up as well, but as far as I can see that will lead to a damaged bike when some cvnt tries to yank it from the wall.

None of our bikes are worth much, but I have aspirations.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#5 Re: Sheffield bike theft
November 17, 2011, 06:24:20 am
What a nightmare - when you shout at them you expect them to run off; probably a good thing you were nekkid and didn't get out to confront them if they were that determined.  I woke up to find 3 lads at our garage, screamed "get the fuck out!" and luckily they did, though of course not forgetting to put a dent in Ms Bubb's car on the way down the drive. Twats.

I put a couple of mortice locks on the lower sides of the garage door and also have one of these which isn't that great as they'd bent the bar back with a crowbar or something.  So after that attempt I also fitted one of these which appears to be a better design.

Fingers crossed we've had no more attempts but the only problem with such devices is that it looks like you've got a Ferrari to hide or something. Stealthy security would no doubt be better...or perhaps a roller shutter door?

tomtom

• forum hero
#6 Sheffield bike theft
November 17, 2011, 07:05:45 am
I know someone on York where they just took the bricks out of the external garage wall to gain access as the door was too well secured... :/

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#7 Re: Sheffield bike theft
November 17, 2011, 12:38:47 pm
...or perhaps a roller shutter door?
This is what my neighbors resorted to.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#8 Re: Sheffield bike theft
November 17, 2011, 01:58:16 pm

There's the problem - taking the time to get dressed. I'm pretty sure that if you kill a bike thief or burgler while you are completely naked then it doesn't even count as manslaughter. I have a great anecdote about me taking on a few scrotes on whilst completely naked - if I haven't posted it on the forum already, the story is available for the price of a pint...

We are hopefully moving into a house with a garage and I have been thinking about how to scrote-proof it. It will not be used for storing cars. Was thinking about a bolt/padlock on each bottom corner in addition to the usual central lock/handle.

I have an ice axe hanging from the coat hook by the front door in case of such eventualities. Would probably be loathe to use it on another person, but the sight of me in a pair of boxers swinging it threateningly is probably enough of a deterrent. Although our garage is an unlikely target seeings the neighbours never actually close theirs. I think a deadbolt in each bottom corner with a large impressive looking padlock should be enough.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#9 Re: Sheffield bike theft
November 17, 2011, 03:03:27 pm
I have an ice axe hanging from the coat hook by the front door in case of such eventualities. Would probably be loathe to use it on another person, but the sight of me in a pair of boxers swinging it threateningly is probably enough of a deterrent.

:o  better watch you don;t get sued by a burlgar for emotional distress!

SA Chris

• forum hero
#10 Re: Sheffield bike theft
November 17, 2011, 03:19:52 pm
It's a Simond Pirahna, so he would probably be ditressed that he was going to be attacked by someone old enought to be his dad.

gingerninja

• menacing presence
#11 Re: Sheffield bike theft
November 17, 2011, 06:50:41 pm
last bike i had nicked off me was out of the garage. they took stone out of the wall to get it, then cut the floorboards of the upstairs to get the bike in to the top of the garage. then kicked out the roof so they could climb out and lift it out of a velux window!!! if they want it they will get it.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#12 Re: Sheffield bike theft
November 17, 2011, 06:58:11 pm
It's a Simond Pirahna, so he would probably be ditressed that he was going to be attacked by someone old enought to be his dad.

and you could claim that it hangs in your hall as a piece of climbing history/memorabilia and not a weapon to be used against intruders

SA Chris

• forum hero
#13 Re: Sheffield bike theft
November 18, 2011, 09:06:11 am
It still gets used for climbing occasionally!

tlr

• forum abuser
  • tim-russon.myportfolio Instagram tim_russon
    • Myportfolio
#14 Re: Sheffield bike theft
November 18, 2011, 09:30:46 am
I have a couple of 4D Cell Maglites around for investigating noises. Quite hefty things.

Lagers, our garage was locked and alarmed, albeit not a very sturdy door it seems. It will be replaced with steel roller shutters. These bolt in each corner things are supposed to be good for up and over doors.

http://www.discountlocks.co.uk/Asec-High-Security-Garage-Door-Bolt-p/asec%20as1997.htm

I've heard stories and seen pictures of them cutting through the frames on locked bikes to get them, and as Gingerninja says, removing bricks to get secured bikes.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal