UKBouldering.com

Deregistering from UKC (Read 10589 times)

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
Deregistering from UKC
October 25, 2011, 07:07:56 pm

Franco Cookson bizarrely accused me of  being 'a 1st rate tosser' for being personal rather than debating issues  :shrug:

Which was the opposite of the truth. What an unpleasant character.  However it did make me realise that UKCs standards weren't mine and I had nothing to gain there so he did me a favour I guess.

Go on then, who else has deregistered from that site?

dave

#1 Re: Deregistering from UKC
October 25, 2011, 07:15:50 pm
Me about 4 or 5 years back. Best thing I ever did.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#2 Re: Deregistering from UKC
October 25, 2011, 07:50:58 pm
I saw you valiantly trying to talk sense to that little cheesewhip earlier mrjon. Good effort for trying, sadly when all is said and done you can't educate pork. Must admit last time I got annoyed by his idiot utterances I resorted to ripping the piss straight away.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
#3 Re: Deregistering from UKC
October 25, 2011, 08:26:43 pm
 :lol: :lol: Thanks. I'll be looking to UKB for all climbing news in future then.  Come to think of it, I already do :slap:

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#4 Re: Deregistering from UKC
October 25, 2011, 08:55:45 pm
I go on there to try to find more people to climb with in Scotland as the Scottish scene is sometimes impenetrable. While I'm there I sometimes answer stuff about Scottish climbing cos I've tended to do my homework so might as well use the knowledge.

If I didn't need climbing partners then I wouldn't bother, I'd have just gone along with one of my 3 bans ;)

The idiots who try to post about climbing rather than keep to the off-topic forums are one of the main problems, as you point out...

Wipey Why

• forum hero
#5 Re: Deregistering from UKC
October 25, 2011, 09:12:27 pm
How are you going to abuse/take the piss/troll without an account.  :popcorn:

petejh

• forum hero
#6 Re: Deregistering from UKC
October 25, 2011, 09:30:30 pm
I tried de-registering from there a couple of years ago but it seemed as if you had to stay logged-off for eternity before you became de-registered, mind you I managed it with lookatmebook.
I fucking despair at the moronacity of so many of ukc's inhabitants, I also disagree with the commodification of said moron's opinions and of 'climbing' in general as displayed by its owners;  in the end I got banned anyway - best thing that could have happened - for simply putting forward the argument that Alan James's '97 rockfax to North Wales Limestone was 'a classic example of lazy research and plagiarism' in a long thread about rockfax's treament of the euro guidebook scene which someone else had started. Instead of shooting my argument down with facts Alan simply deleted the entire thread and banned me - but I guess it's hard to argue against rockfax describing one of the country's best 7b+'s (Wall of the Evening Light) as being 50 metres long with 16 bolts when in fact it's 35 metres and had 7 bolts and three pegs  :lol: - one inaccurate rockfax is unfortunate, two is blatant fuckheadedisness.  Researching the new North Wales Limestone has made it clear as day to me that Alan never bothered to set foot on a hell of a lot of the best routes on the Ormes.

The only two worthwhile parts of that logpile site are its routes logbook and the kit for sale forum, which I use under a different username that I'll just change if they ban that one - tunnellers are great, last time I checked I was in Chicago. Fuck 'em I say.

Interestingly, there's scope for anyone with a ukc logbook who gets banned from that site to put in an access request for personal data under the data protection act - a log of dates, places and partners is classed as personal data under the ICO's guidelines, which you're entilted to access under the DPA. Alan will claim they're not obliged but he's talking bollocks.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
#7 Re: Deregistering from UKC
October 25, 2011, 10:11:26 pm
Some interesting points there. I do remember that thread, and the general antipathy to the idea that tourist-type guides like Rockfax might deprive local equippers of funds from local guidebook sales. I wouldn't expect the guidebook collater-cum-author to do every route, but someone should do the checking. I also remember years ago how put out the French were with German guides which basically duplicated the French Verdon and Buoux ones, even replicating typos etc and they definitely did take money away from bolt funds at that time, not sure how they're funded nowadays, FFM I guess.

The data thing might be relevant if I were more prolific/organised/uninjured but it's interesting to know!

Cheers
Jon

stevej

• menacing presence
#8 Re: Deregistering from UKC
October 25, 2011, 10:38:12 pm
Interestingly, there's scope for anyone with a ukc logbook who gets banned from that site to put in an access request for personal data under the data protection act - a log of dates, places and partners is classed as personal data under the ICO's guidelines, which you're entilted to access under the DPA. Alan will claim they're not obliged but he's talking bollocks.

You can export your entire logbook as a .csv if you're about to say something rude about the establishment.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#9 Re: Deregistering from UKC
October 26, 2011, 06:39:09 am
Can one export all of one's inappropriate posts as a .cnt file?

I only seem to be able to download my .wkr files at the moment and Windows 8 doesn't support them.

BB

• junky
  • Sissy climber
#10 Re: Deregistering from UKC
October 26, 2011, 07:57:45 am
Your PC support .twt files though doesn't it Lagers?

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#11 Re: Deregistering from UKC
October 26, 2011, 08:43:58 am
GCW hasn't de-registered.  It's just left as an inactive account so I can smile when I get an e-mail every 6 months saying:

(Please don't reply to this automated email)

Thanks for registering with UKClimbing in the past.
You haven't logged into this account in the last 3 months:

GCW
  lagersisafatgit@hotmail.com

This is just a reminder of how to access your account, in case you have
forgotten your password. Once you have logged in you can change your
password, or update your email address if it has changed.

1. Click https://www.ukclimbing.com/user/?email=lagersisafatgit%40hotmail.com
2. Enter your Password
3. Click the 'Login as Existing User' button.

If you can't remember your password, then the login page has an 'Forgotten Password?' option.

We send out this short reminder email once quarterly if you haven't
logged into your account for at least 3 months. Even if you visit
UKClimbing regularly, you still need to actually log in once in a while to keep your account active.

After 2 years without logging in your account will be deleted. This
means that you will no longer have a user profile, personal photo
gallery, or be able to read older forum messages or view photos on the
site. We will not delete profiles which have Logbook entries.

Thank you for using UKClimbing. Please contact us if you are having any
difficulties, using: http://www.ukclimbing.com/general/email.html?d=1

Although I've not logged in for well over 2 years and the account hasn't been deleted yet  :shrug:

Big Dave

• menacing presence
#12 Re: Deregistering from UKC
October 26, 2011, 09:27:17 am
I find my UKC account useful for logging climbs and the training diary, but I don't bother posting on the forum.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#13 Re: Deregistering from UKC
October 26, 2011, 09:44:36 am
Although I've not logged in for well over 2 years and the account hasn't been deleted yet  :shrug:

Got to keep the "registered users" numbers up though to aid in selling advertising space.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#14 Re: Deregistering from UKC
October 26, 2011, 09:47:04 am
Very cynical Slackers, I am surprised  ;)

Serpico

• forum hero
    • The Craig Y Longridge Wiki
#15 Re: Deregistering from UKC
October 26, 2011, 09:53:02 am
If you want to de-register email Alan direct. As for the whole UKC slagging thing, been there before, all it does is cause hassle for Toby and Simon. We all know the score, it just smacks of smugness and superiority if we go over it again.
Hang about...  :slap:

neil h

• forum hero
  • You think i'm fat
    • sibl
#16 Re: Deregistering from UKC
October 26, 2011, 09:53:49 am
i have not logged in for 5 years but I still recieve emails saying I am the crag modirator for buthiers france ???????????? and can I please update the log books for the area,

even when I was a memeber I never partook in anthing like that

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#17 Re: Deregistering from UKC
October 26, 2011, 10:18:38 am
Very cynical Slackers, I am surprised  ;)

Yeah, I got out of bed the wrong side this morning.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
#18 Re: Deregistering from UKC
October 26, 2011, 10:47:57 am
If you want to de-register email Alan direct. As for the whole UKC slagging thing, been there before, all it does is cause hassle for Toby and Simon.

Actually I have, several times, and he's refused each time so I've logged out, maxed all privacy settings and will contact him again in due course.

I haven't slagged the site off though, it does some things well, but the online community there isn't one I want to participate in so I think opting out is a perfectly reasonable thing to do.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#19 Re: Deregistering from UKC
October 26, 2011, 11:42:18 am
To be fair, we don't really delete accounts from UKB or UKCaving unless you haven't posted much at all.

Why? Well, if a user has posted extensively and then they want their account deleted, it makes nonsense of many previous topics that they might have posted in.

Anyway, no personal data is held about any users...well, email I guess but that can be changed to something a@b.com but I guess the main difference is that we don't spam users for ever more about how to access their account.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#20 Re: Deregistering from UKC
October 26, 2011, 12:19:10 pm
I've not deregistered so I can still look at photos when theyr'e linked from here but I've not posted on there for over a year. I got sick of the morons and sick of having my posts doctored, misquoted and deleted by someone who shall remain nameless.

Serpico

• forum hero
    • The Craig Y Longridge Wiki
#21 Re: Deregistering from UKC
October 26, 2011, 01:09:49 pm
If you want to de-register email Alan direct.

Actually I have, several times, and he's refused each time

I didn't have that problem, now I feel really unloved :'(

yorkshireman

• obsessive maniac
  • dont knock the rock if you're shaky at the grade
#22 Re: Deregistering from UKC
November 10, 2011, 06:47:40 pm
well i always make out that i was banned from ukc but thats not strictly true,i was restricted from posting after insulting someone and refused to apologise and i then told them to delete my account because i didnt want to be associated with them anymore but they wouldnt delete it so i just deleted all my logbook entries and photos and put up with the 3 monthly email telling me i have'nt posted  ;D im still down as being restricted from posting since 11/03/2011 so just another year and a quarter and i should be clean away from there.i found i was sucked into too many arguments on there because tbh there's too many people who log out and then post annonymously and just go on to cause arguments.i was eventually labelled one of them because i will fight my corner if i agree with something but in general whats the point in putting up with the crap for an oppinion?
much better on here but there is the odd similarity at times

yorkshireman

• obsessive maniac
  • dont knock the rock if you're shaky at the grade
#23 Re: Deregistering from UKC
November 10, 2011, 08:38:37 pm
If you want to de-register email Alan direct. As for the whole UKC slagging thing, been there before, all it does is cause hassle for Toby and Simon.

Actually I have, several times, and he's refused each time so I've logged out, maxed all privacy settings and will contact him again in due course.

I haven't slagged the site off though, it does some things well, but the online community there isn't one I want to participate in so I think opting out is a perfectly reasonable thing to do.

i also emailed alan direct and he refused to delete my account but luckily as mine was just restricted i could delete photo's and logbook entries.if it doesnt auto delete in 2 years as promissed i will email him again.its a shame really as ive had some really good (funny/respectful) banter on ukc but the problem is that the mods allow some people to step further over the line than others but thats life eh? :)

dave

#24 Re: Deregistering from UKC
November 10, 2011, 08:54:28 pm
Email him stating that under the data protection act they are obliged to remove from their records any data pertaining to you (for example, name, email address, and possibly username) if you request it. This is law, they can only hold personal data about you without your consent if there was some kind of statutory requirement to, which there isn't. Tell them if they don't comply, report them to the ICO. Might even be worth contacting the ICO for advice.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal