UKBouldering.com

Portable training aids (Read 2690 times)

weakdave

• forum abuser
  • Technically lacking
Portable training aids
September 12, 2011, 03:43:20 am
I work away from home for 4/5 weeks ata time so I need something to train with while I am away. I have a gripmaster which is ok but I was thinking of either rock rings or the metolious wooden power grip things. Anybody used either of these or suggestion something better?

ashleyscott

#1 Re: Portable training aids
September 12, 2011, 05:45:59 am
Go get yourself a set of rock rings, they cover most training holds.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#2 Re: Portable training aids
September 12, 2011, 09:04:18 am
Go get yourself a set of rock rings, they cover most training holds.

While rock rings do provide some training options, if you have the time/inclination and the space to carry it, you'd be much better off making something out of a piece of ply and some wooden rungs. The rock rings are just plain unpleasant to train on.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#3 Re: Portable training aids
September 12, 2011, 09:12:53 am
You could perhaps make enquiries about the portable beasmaker mentioned here.

JamesD

• obsessive maniac
  • one ton monkey
#4 Re: Portable training aids
October 17, 2011, 12:04:10 am
These look pretty cool too:

http://www.hotgym.co.uk/

Been contemplating buying one for a year, I think when we move in January I can convince the missus to let me get one finally :p

I figure you can hang rock rings off of it too, I use mine now and again (rock rings), they're ok not as good as a fingerboard but definitely better than nothing also these things are pretty cool:

trxfitness.co.uk

I have been using them in the gym quite a bit lately, loads of great exercises you can do on them, fantastic for shoulder stability, but the best thing is they weigh next to nothing and you can travel with them and set them up anywhere really easily with a door anchor.
If the door frame can handle my fat ass it'll probably be fine with yours ;)

Disclaimer I am a crap climber/boulderer who has never done anything better than V4 or whatever the french grade equivalent is, i've only just started again recently after almost a year out for various reasons, so make of my opinion what ya will, although I did use to do a helluva lot of weightlifting and powerlifting for many years (although these days I take it less seriously) so my exercise knowledge base is arguably better than my climbing skills hehe.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal