UKBouldering.com

Bouldering Close to Alnwick (Read 4013 times)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Bouldering Close to Alnwick
October 21, 2011, 12:06:44 pm
Got a week in a cottage in Alnmouth next week, and as well as hopefully getting to Rothley and Shaftoe, hoping to grab a couple of quick hits for a couple of hours closer to home.

Looking at the guidebook, none of the nearby spots look massively inspiring though. I've been to Corby's before, and there are quite a few choices there for a bit of easy soloing / highballing, but was interested in anyone's experiences of the other crags in the NMC guide around Corbys; Oxen Wood, Widehope, Edlingham, Redheugh, Caller Boulders or any esoterica that would be a change from Corby's.

Criteria; short easy approach, doable on my tod with a single pad, good for mileage rather than big numbers; easy to mid / upper 6s, decent rock, warmish aspect.

Oh, and if anyone is around there next week, holler!

north_country_boy

• junky
#1 Re: Bouldering Close to Alnwick
October 21, 2011, 12:14:27 pm
Make sure you go to Hepburn, if not only for the best 7a+ in the UK....A Northern Soul.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#2 Re: Bouldering Close to Alnwick
October 21, 2011, 12:16:39 pm
Chris GME lives in Alnmouth, he's got all the knowledge for climbing and hopefully you'll get some surf.

tomtom

• forum hero
#3 Re: Bouldering Close to Alnwick
October 21, 2011, 12:24:33 pm
Ah, good reminder.. I'll be up in Alnwick for a few days over Xmas...

The last time I was in the County bouldering was (ahem) in 1994..... has it changed much...? ;)

Any reccomendations for a one afternoon punterama (6's and maybe the odd low 7) visit nearby (I probably wont have too much free time...)

SA Chris

• forum hero
#4 Re: Bouldering Close to Alnwick
October 21, 2011, 12:28:31 pm
Make sure you go to Hepburn, if not only for the best 7a+ in the UK....A Northern Soul.

Yeah, Hepburn is on the list, but a slightly longer drive than I was planning. and ANS is likely to get done unless I acquire a load more ability, bigger balls and several burly spotters and pads.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#5 Re: Bouldering Close to Alnwick
October 21, 2011, 12:29:36 pm
Chris GME lives in Alnmouth, he's got all the knowledge for climbing and hopefully you'll get some surf.

Cool, I thought he was further south. Hopefully he will pick this up, otherwise I may need a contact no.

gme

• forum hero
#6 Re: Bouldering Close to Alnwick
October 21, 2011, 10:02:37 pm
I do indeed live in Alnmouth but bad timing as i am going away all week with the family. Would have loved to meet up and show you the sights.

I am back next Friday so if your here until the weekend i could hook up for some surf or climbing action on Sat.

The Alnwick moor crags around Corby's are OK but not as special as the main crags, if you want to go to any of them go to redheugh which is in a really nice place and the rock is very good sandstone. Its the furthest walk but the best. Edlingham has some good problems but a lot of it is sandy and hardly climbed on. The quiet county is even quieter than it was when i lived here 20 years ago.
Hepburn is a new favorite of mine, the rock is about as good as rock gets and the above mentioned Northern soul would shine in font. its only a 20 min drive and 5 min walk so not to far from Alnmouth.

Bring a board as there should be swell and your staying within 10 mins drive of some of the best waves in the UK including the one i keep going on about that has been raped and pillaged by the UK pros for the last two years. Its an easterly swell so that wave wont work but plenty of other options.

If you PM me i will give you a bit more info and also put you in touch with the few surfers  and climbers up here.

Small wall in Alnwick leisure centre but fun if your stuck on a rainy day, and if you want food and drink in the village go to the Red Lion, Jane and mac will make you more than welcome including kids. Good cafe in Craster and the Ship in newton by the sea is a top spot for lunch, beer and folk music as well.

Hopefully your still here next fri sat and we can meet up.

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
#7 Re: Bouldering Close to Alnwick
October 22, 2011, 12:55:06 am
The classic 7a/+ arete at Edlingham is worth the trip. One of the best problems that I've done.

webbo

• forum hero
#8 Re: Bouldering Close to Alnwick
October 25, 2011, 08:56:33 pm
Don't bother with the Caller boulders most things looked like they had returned to nature.Same with a lot of Edlingham.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal