UKBouldering.com

Resoling Toe Down Boots (Read 2107 times)

Burnsie

Resoling Toe Down Boots
October 19, 2011, 09:43:17 pm
Like dragons or jet7's ?

Disaster waiting to happen or OK for the steep bits down the wall ?

Anyone done it. Quite happy using resoled sazi velcros indoors but not sure how a toe down pair would come out ..... :goodidea: :badidea:???

ghisino

• forum abuser
#1 Re: Resoling Toe Down Boots
October 24, 2011, 01:04:54 pm
it depends on the resoler.
I know of at least two guys (in italy) that are able to resole testarossas and solutions with toe down/concave sole.
One of them also resoled me a pair of evolv agro (similar to 5.10 downturned shapes) with the correct downturn.

but most resolers don't do it...either they don't recognize the importance of the downturn, or achieving it requires special equipement (eg the shoe's original last) or it requires more work than usual.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#2 Re: Resoling Toe Down Boots
October 30, 2011, 04:49:24 pm
it's very difficult to have them resoled properly.
I lost a pair of good ol' Dragon velcros, due to a bad resoling.
the Solutions I've seen resoled seemed strange. I don't think the resolers are able to replicate the concavity. for what I've seen, I think they apply a normal flat sole, maybe very thick, and then they carve it, to recreate the concavity.
all the ones I've seen looked the same and seemed very very bulky and stiff, I think due to excessive rubber thickness in order to get the carving done without making holes in the sole.
I haven't resoled a pair of good shoes in ages.
I think it's not worth.

thrashhard

• player
#3 Re: Resoling Toe Down Boots
December 13, 2011, 05:20:21 pm
last friday i got a pair of resoled ansazi arrowheads back.
itīs the 3rd pair of shoes iīve brought to this resoler and he isnīt "the one" for climbing shoes
he usualy resoles mountain boots and street shoes.
he always fucked up on the edges and every time iīve got a pair of shoes from him i had to fix the edges myself with sandpaper.
BUT he always got the downturned toe in perfect shape and after i did the edges myself the shoe was like fresh out of the box
so i donīt think itīs a big deal to resole a toe down shoe if even HE can do it.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal