UKBouldering.com

Redpointing - new Hunter & Hague book (Read 2762 times)

biscuit

• menacing presence
Redpointing - new Hunter & Hague book
October 20, 2011, 01:57:15 pm
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Redpoint-Self-Coached-Climbers--Site-Climbing/dp/0811707644/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1319114956&sr=8-2

Anyone clocked this yet ?

I can't see it being as ground breaking as SCC but i have ordered one anyway as i am sure it'll have a couple of top tips in it.

Any reviews yet ?

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#1 Re: Redpointing - new Hunter & Hague book
October 20, 2011, 03:53:51 pm
My fear would be that any guide to redpointing might solely comprise the Beckett quote “No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better" written in big letters....  then 200 blank pages.

Luthor

• menacing presence
#2 Re: Redpointing - new Hunter & Hague book
October 20, 2011, 03:59:12 pm
My fear would be that any guide to redpointing might solely comprise the Beckett quote “No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better" written in big letters....  then 200 blank pages.

nice quote

biscuit

• menacing presence
#3 Re: Redpointing - new Hunter & Hague book
October 20, 2011, 05:21:47 pm

I hope you're not trying to bring culture to UKB  :P

If that's all i get for my £17 i'll be gutted - or maybe that is all you need to know about RP'ing.

It is about 'on-siting' as well. I guess that is the American equivalent of on-sighting. I should have it waiting for me when i get back to England next week so i shall report back.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#4 Re: Redpointing - new Hunter & Hague book
October 25, 2011, 06:50:14 am
I had a read through the preview pages on amazon (or google books - can't remember) and there seemed to be a lot of overlap with SCC - sufficiently so that I won't be bothering with it.

JohnM

• junky
#5 Re: Redpointing - new Hunter & Hague book
October 25, 2011, 10:28:04 am
I bought this but it is aimed at beginners really with loads of stuff about how to belay and dog a route (rowt).  If your aim is to onsight 6b+ or redpoint 7a it might be worth it but I didn't really get anything out of it.  The DVD that comes with it is annoying with a section that is just one big advert for Evolv.

biscuit

• menacing presence
#6 Re: Redpointing - new Hunter & Hague book
October 25, 2011, 07:53:07 pm
Having perused said book i would have to agree with the above comments.

It seems to have taken a small amount of information and expanded it to a book the size of SCC.

It would be v useful for a beginner/improver to realise that structure to your day and reading routes ( and how to ) etc. can greatly increase your success.

However I have found it very wordy and not as accessible as SCC. When i got that i sat down and consumed pretty much the whole thing in one go. I realised that for me much of it was gold. I've found myself skipping through whole chunks of this book as either not relevant or using 100 words where 10 would do,

I think i will have to sit down and study the small print to get something out of it. SCC was much more effortless to understand.

That said there have been some learning points in it for me and when i get to grips with it i am sure there will be more.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal