UKBouldering.com

Font hunting season begins (Read 8417 times)

neil h

• forum hero
  • You think i'm fat
    • sibl
Font hunting season begins
October 19, 2011, 09:17:10 am
For all you lot coming to font over the winter, 2 things to watch out for, unless you want to get shot, or mauled by dogs  ;D I would say basically stay clear of the franchard Monday's and Friday's, last year we actually had our car locked in isatis car park for the whole day, they close the barriers now and go hunting in there, this below is the big hunts, the dogs and horses, hundreds of them, this says nothing about all the little hunts that go on every day around the forest, remember chasse on cours, means there is a hunt going on in there, so be very carefull

A necessary tool for regulating controlled
The forests are home to a rich and diverse wild life. That of
Fontainebleau has 3 types of large animals involved in the life of
Ecosystem: deer, roe deer and wild boar. Many clues reveal their
presence, such as wild boar Bouttes (back ground and extract the
food) or the large deer browsed (consumption
young shoots of trees). Thus, a high density can lead, without regulation,
severe damage to seedlings and forest biodiversity. It can
also endanger the safety of road approaches.
In the absence of natural predators, only a rational, well-regulated hunting
by the NFB (compliance with safety rules and controls) can regulate
large animals and the sustainability of the forest for future generations. The
number of animals taken each year is defined in advance by a plan
Hunting arrested by the prefect.

Source NFB
From November to February
Hunting season, reduced the massive popular, runs from November
in February on 17 000 ha of the forest, on Mondays and Thursdays and some Fridays (see
calendar).
To optimize operations, the forest is divided into two zones (cf.carte):
- The peripheral part of the forest (about 7500 ha) leased to associations
Hunters selected for their professionalism and seriousness;
- The central part (about 9500 ha), the busiest and most complex
(Roads, edges of town, large reception areas, etc.) where the management,
the organization and implementation of the actions of hunting are provided by the NFB.

No action takes place on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, weekends and holidays
school in the area NFB. Also during the hunting season, the forest is never
completely covered leaving the opportunity for walkers to find
spaces available where recreation and relaxation may be exercised.

Observe all uses of the forest
During the months from November to February, hunters, walkers, hikers,
riders and cyclists must share the forest of Fontainebleau.
So that everyone can operate with confidence, responsibility
and compliance purposes must be in order.
A number of measures are taken to better accommodate and
prevent them.
Keep informed before going out in the forest
To alert and inform users the best, a location map, a
explanatory note and a calendar of hunting days are established by the NFB. These
Information is available in town halls, in the tourist offices and displayed
on the information boards located in the forest.
Reported a hunt for safety
The NFB and its tenants are implementing security measures on days
concerned: each area is reported at its periphery by a rigorous paneling
affixed to the gates and on the trails and along the roads.
Other measures used to improve security: equipment, fluorescent
identification, presence and supervision of staff NFB.
It is recommended that pedestrians do not enter the woods
and avoid using the paths of these sectors.

That is well written but unfortunately not reflect what happened in late September!

Gentlemen of the NFB, I add that while many business is done on the roads is to forget too quickly naturalists, rock climbers and other mushroom pickers who are forced to enter the woods!

neil h

• forum hero
  • You think i'm fat
    • sibl
#1 Re: Font hunting season begins
October 19, 2011, 09:36:33 am
intresting stats here:  :o

At the end of last season 2010/2011, the "Network Security to the chase" of the National Office for Hunting and Wildlife (ONCFS), noted 131 accidents, 18 deaths (against 174 in 2009/2010, including 19 deaths).

just a few days ago there was a near fatal accident, as a hunter shot at 5 photographers, they were filming  a big deer in the mist, 2 hours before the hunt started, a hunter who was there early opened fire on the deer, knowing fine well the people were just a few meters away from it

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#2 Re: Font hunting season begins
October 19, 2011, 10:10:48 am
I was thinking of wearing this to stay warm and for Halloween.

Bad idea?

Wipey Why

• forum hero
#3 Re: Font hunting season begins
October 19, 2011, 10:18:03 am

At the end of last season 2010/2011, the "Network Security to the chase" of the National Office for Hunting and Wildlife (ONCFS), noted 131 accidents, 18 deaths (against 174 in 2009/2010, including 19 deaths).

just a few days ago there was a near fatal accident, as a hunter shot at 5 photographers, they were filming  a big deer in the mist, 2 hours before the hunt started, a hunter who was there early opened fire on the deer, knowing fine well the people were just a few meters away from it

WTF?? I am so glad I'm not staying at your place until April

neil h

• forum hero
  • You think i'm fat
    • sibl
#4 Re: Font hunting season begins
October 19, 2011, 11:00:39 am
you mean like mike and his bear suite  ;D

Duma

• forum hero
#5 Re: Font hunting season begins
October 19, 2011, 11:34:41 am
Cheers Neil, good info.
So as I understand, I'm in the clear for my trip 29/10/2011 - 6/11/2011, or do I still need to avoid the Franchard on the 31st and 4th? (you say mon and fri, but the map only mentions dates from the 7th Nov onward)

Probes

• forum hero
  • Wood Abuser
    • Crusher Holds
#6 Re: Font hunting season begins
October 19, 2011, 11:49:08 am

This could be a stupid question... is that human deaths   

tomtom

• forum hero
#7 Re: Font hunting season begins
October 19, 2011, 11:58:02 am
Wear red (visibly - i.e. red pants wont work unless you wear your trousers around your ankles gansta stylee..) was the advice I was given when doing fieldwork in a hunting area.. Hunters often wear red hats/caps so they dont get shot by other hunters (this was in the US of shoot it if it moves A though..).

SA Chris

• forum hero
#8 Re: Font hunting season begins
October 19, 2011, 12:08:01 pm
this was in the US of shoot it if it moves A though...

And getting blind drunk first is the thing to do.

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
#9 Re: Font hunting season begins
October 19, 2011, 12:11:21 pm
So if we are out there Nov 19-26 we should avoid Franchard Monday 21 and Thursday 24?  :-\

tomtom

• forum hero
#10 Re: Font hunting season begins
October 19, 2011, 12:23:39 pm
this was in the US of shoot it if it moves A though...

And getting blind drunk first is the thing to do.

Yeah, I remember doing some field work out in some woods somewhere in Wisconsin and there were loads of beer cans strewn all along the edge of a forest track/road in the middle of no where. I asked our guides/hosts why they were there and they said huntin'... people just cruising around in the pickup with a load of tinnies and a gun or 10..

Nut jobs.

Duma

• forum hero
#11 Re: Font hunting season begins
October 19, 2011, 12:25:15 pm
So if we are out there Nov 19-26 we should avoid Franchard Monday 21 and Thursday 24?  :-\
That's how I read it, but going on the area the map shows you'd also need to avoid Cuvier, Apremont, Canon, Avon, etc. partie centrale de la foret is pretty extensive - I assume you can check out which areas are affected on the day, or is there any more detailed stuff up?
Don't like those stats - always been pretty casual about the hunts in the past, only given up on an area once, and only cowered on a bloc while the hounds went past once.
Monday looks like a good rest day...

stevej

• menacing presence
#12 Re: Font hunting season begins
October 19, 2011, 12:34:43 pm

Is that a quote from some other time or are they at it already? (and do the listed times, maps etc. bear any resemblance to where the trigger-happy drunks actually go?) Have got a week off work next week and font was an option.

On the plus side, all the clothes I own are silly non-animal-like colours.

Ta for the heads up, never appreciated that hunting could be such an issue

tomtom

• forum hero
#13 Re: Font hunting season begins
October 19, 2011, 12:37:49 pm
Night bouldering, with a loud generator and very bright lights, listening to thumping music would probably indicate that you were not suitable prey. Unless it was 'Girls Aloud' of course...

fried

• forum hero
#14 Re: Font hunting season begins
October 19, 2011, 01:06:15 pm
Neil will have more info, but on Mondays and Thusday just stay out of the main forest areas. Malesherbes area has no hunting I believe (certainly not around Buthiers Piscine!). Also worth checking out what the hunting days are for area such as Beauvais.

You won't find any beer cans 'cos they're all on Pastis!

Having said that this'll be my third winter in the forest and I've never encountered a hunt. (maybe 'cos I usually climb on Wednesdays  :smirk:)

yorkshireman

• obsessive maniac
  • dont knock the rock if you're shaky at the grade
#15 Re: Font hunting season begins
October 19, 2011, 01:41:21 pm
great info neil,thankfully wont affect my trip 22-29th of october unless they decidce to start early.just the weather to pray for now

neil h

• forum hero
  • You think i'm fat
    • sibl
#16 Re: Font hunting season begins
October 19, 2011, 03:23:51 pm
Neil will have more info, but on Mondays and Thusday just stay out of the main forest areas. Malesherbes area has no hunting I believe (certainly not around Buthiers Piscine!). Also worth checking out what the hunting days are for area such as Beauvais.

Having said that this'll be my third winter in the forest and I've never encountered a hunt. (maybe 'cos I usually climb on Wednesdays  :smirk:)

hunting dates are sunday in buthiers, the rocks are fine, but dont wonder up the back of the woods past magic bus, you will get shot :)

I had a near miss last week, I was on a very well known VTT path on the bike, came in from the buthiers side to my house, popped out of the forest a guy jumped up with his gun pointing straight at me, so just be carefull out there, I have heard about people been shot at up the rampart over last winter. It is an issue, but if you take notice of the signs then you should be ok, generally if you see a sign avoid about 1km square of the sign you will be fine

Last winter I was in isatis car park with all the hunt going on, its pretty scary, The hunt men cornered a deer just off the car park and set about 30 hungry dogs on it, that was messed up to watch

neil h

• forum hero
  • You think i'm fat
    • sibl
#17 Re: Font hunting season begins
October 19, 2011, 03:25:26 pm

Dont worry about it, it will rain when you get here anyway :)

SA Chris

• forum hero
#18 Re: Font hunting season begins
October 19, 2011, 03:49:29 pm
The hunt men cornered a deer just off the car park and set about 30 hungry dogs on it, that was messed up to watch

That must have been seriously grim.

fried

• forum hero
#19 Re: Font hunting season begins
October 19, 2011, 04:03:18 pm

hunting dates are sunday in buthiers, the rocks are fine, but dont wonder up the back of the woods past magic bus, you will get shot :)

I had a near miss last week, I was on a very well known VTT path on the bike, came in from the buthiers side to my house, popped out of the forest a guy jumped up with his gun pointing straight at me, so just be carefull out there, I have heard about people been shot at up the rampart over last winter. It is an issue, but if you take notice of the signs then you should be ok, generally if you see a sign avoid about 1km square of the sign you will be fine

Last winter I was in isatis car park with all the hunt going on, its pretty scary, The hunt men cornered a deer just off the car park and set about 30 hungry dogs on it, that was messed up to watch

Do you know if that includes Sunday 30th October? I always had the impression that bank holiday weekends changed things a bit.

On a slightly different note: Do you have any contacts that can get sanglier? I fancy a bit for Christmas.

neil h

• forum hero
  • You think i'm fat
    • sibl
#20 Re: Font hunting season begins
October 19, 2011, 04:27:25 pm
I always have sanglier for christmas, its amazing, contact the butcher in barbizon, its about 50 euros per kg but well worth it, I paid 70 euros for a shoulder last year, fed 4 of us twice, slow roasted in the over for 5 hours, amazing

yorkshireman

• obsessive maniac
  • dont knock the rock if you're shaky at the grade
#21 Re: Font hunting season begins
October 19, 2011, 04:28:41 pm
The hunt men cornered a deer just off the car park and set about 30 hungry dogs on it, that was messed up to watch

That must have been seriously grim.

to me thats not hunting,its just blood sport.pathetic really that humans still do this

fried

• forum hero
#22 Re: Font hunting season begins
October 19, 2011, 05:19:11 pm
I always have sanglier for christmas, its amazing, contact the butcher in barbizon, its about 50 euros per kg but well worth it, I paid 70 euros for a shoulder last year, fed 4 of us twice, slow roasted in the over for 5 hours, amazing

I've had it a couple of times at Christmas, but only when I've been invited. I never knew it was expensive as that. It is delicious though, maybe my Christmas prezzie.

neil h

• forum hero
  • You think i'm fat
    • sibl
#23 Re: Font hunting season begins
October 19, 2011, 05:23:24 pm
you can always try and get your mate to run one over, its illegal to take animals if you hit them, but if your mate does you can take it :)

SA Chris

• forum hero
#24 Re: Font hunting season begins
October 19, 2011, 05:37:31 pm
Get a set of bullbars for your car for xmas instead and you can eat for a year!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal