UKBouldering.com

Road wheel build (Read 3670 times)

fatkid2000

• junky
Road wheel build
October 23, 2011, 09:15:11 pm
Right - I'm on a road wheel build project.

As a present to myself for finishing my training & getting a GP partnership, I'm looking to buy some new road wheels.

They will be used for a mix of commutes and training.

I've always wanted a set of royce hubs - but the build price is around £600. (open pros and DT spokes) - if I go for these I may go for ambrosio rims.

Chris King Hubs from what I understand only come on shimano. ALthough there is some kind of converter kit.

The reviews of Hope hubs seem pretty good & would cost a good deal less - they seem to do some kind of build on open pro rims for £350.

Does anyone else have any other suggestions - ideally I want to spend under £500. MAny thanks in advance.

BB

• junky
  • Sissy climber
#1 Re: Road wheel build
October 24, 2011, 02:51:48 am
I'm not up to date on current hubs or rims but on thing I do know is that before you make a final choice, decide if you want a freehub that clicks or one that's silent. Speaking from experience, the wrong choice can send you loopy!

Yossarian

• forum hero
#2 Re: Road wheel build
October 24, 2011, 09:43:49 am
I think you're right about Chris King being Shimano / SRAM compatible but not Campag.  I think they are working on a Campag version though.

If the Hope road hubs are like their MTB ones then they will be LOUD.  I quite like that off road, but it might get on your nerves when freewheeling down long hills.

I think Royce are really lovely hubs - I am toying with getting some built, maybe with Open Pro Ceramic (if they're still making them) as a winter wheel.  They're meant to be really easy to maintain, and they go on forever.

I would also consider DT hubs - they seem pretty popular in the peleton even with teams who aren't sponsored by them and blank the logos out.

And I reckon Kinlin are the best alloy rims around.

BB

• junky
  • Sissy climber
#3 Re: Road wheel build
October 24, 2011, 09:58:09 am
Campag hubs are also quite loud.

chappers

• forum hero
#4 Re: Road wheel build
October 24, 2011, 05:17:20 pm
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/chris-king-adds-campagnolo-compatible-hubs-to-range

have you looked at the velocity A23 rim? or some of the other "wider" rims by hed? 

i would buy this:
Hope pro 3, x-ray spokes and the A23 rim.

I have a pair of wheels built with the hope hubs (ambrosio nemesis tubular rims). I can not tell you how great these hubs are. they do make a loud click if you are adverse to that? i am also reassured by the knowledge that my hubs have the best seals on them - i ride them cyclocross, and therefor great for maintenance free commuting? also created by hand in barnoldswick, buy british!!??

or buy british in royce, they look amazing and obviously also have a very well proven track record, but more expensive.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#5 Re: Road wheel build
October 25, 2011, 10:31:36 am
Campag hubs are also quite loud.

my formula 1s arnt too loud, but not silent.

totally abused, never serviced. I'd factor maintenance into the decision making process.

Dolly

• forum hero
#6 Re: Road wheel build
October 25, 2011, 09:14:35 pm
have you talked to nigel wilson at wilson cycles on city road or pete at jejames in chesterfield ?

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#7 Re: Road wheel build
October 26, 2011, 10:52:53 am
Pete the wheel builder  :bow:

I've DH wheels 5 years old in perfect circles from him... hadnt thought about the road build  :wall:

fatkid2000

• junky
#8 Re: Road wheel build
November 04, 2011, 03:49:21 pm
Well given that I can't buy a set of royce hubs for under £600 (total wheel cost) , I'm going for some Hope's instead so hopefully they'll do the job.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal