UKBouldering.com

"Full of Myself" (the Dawes autobiography) (Read 54255 times)

RopeBoy

• menacing presence
Oh, I was going to order it from his website cause in the vid with Grimer he said he'd get more of the money.

Probably just get one from Works/Outside/BMC then.

J :-)

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
I'm really enjoying it. Highlights so far are his description of Redhead failing on Doors of Perception and the all-too-familiar conversation with relatives chapter.

I didn't realise what his family background was like or how seriously he takes buildering- captioning a picture of yourself climbing a brick wall in your school playground with 'in retrospect, possibly the hardest climb in the world in 1981' is quite something!

I don't think I've ever come across a book that caters so little to the layman. God knows what a non-climber, or even a climber without an extensive knowledge of the UK trad scene would make of it! Reading Lynn Hill's, Jerry's and Ron's books I sometimes found myself wishing there was a bit less explanation for non-climbers, but despite understanding it all I find the opposite with this one. I imagine wanting it like that was part of the decision to self-publish, though.

I like how the spine just says 'Johnny Dawes'. It makes sense when you put it next to guidebooks on your shelf.

Andy B

• forum hero
  • fishie in a dishie
Finished it yesterday. I really enjoyed it. Probably my second favourite climbing book after Deep Play. Easier to read than I expected too.

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
Oh, I was going to order it from his website cause in the vid with Grimer he said he'd get more of the money.

Probably just get one from Works/Outside/BMC then.

J :-)

Outside still have quite a few signed copies still.

roddersm

• stalker
All this talk of quick deliveries...

I ordered a copy two weeks ago from his website, it still hasn't arrived.

If you're considering a purchase with an imminent holiday, maybe not the best option?

Yeah mine's took just over a week. It was signed though. 

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

Gritlad

• obsessive maniac
  • I'm not actually much of a lad.
 ;D was that meant to show johnny looking like a actual dwarf? hilarious either way.

rp

i've read the book
thanks johnny
i'm only gutted you didn't wear niall's jumper for that 3 min vid.
rp
p.s.
would it of been better if niall wore your trousers?

royal

Reading my way through the book and really enjoying it. Had me in stitches on many occasions. It's very Johnny, wonders a bit at times and then bounces right back to the point. A lot more depth to it than some of the other similar stuff I've read.
Well recommended.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Saw him doing a talk on it last week. Delivery was great, but he was let down by awful sound at the wall, which was a pity.

daprince

• regular
    • timeticks

al

• obsessive maniac
    • 50folds
What are the chances of a second run? Or will this be as rare as a consumed DVD or a worth while rockfax?
we've just sent off a second edition/re-print, so assuming they turn out ok they'll be plenty more copies around (more use of the word 'feral' and the 'unforgiveable' spelling errors, mentioned in ed douglas's ukc review, corrected) - should also be an 'observer' review/profile in the next few weeks by peter beaumont... it'll never be as rare as the only ever worthwhile rockfax, peak bouldering  ;)

al

• obsessive maniac
    • 50folds

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

petejh

• forum hero
Nice.
Eloquent, articulated. Talented. Artistic. Self-assured. These are the words that immediately spring to mind after speaking to Johnny Dawes,

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
Another interview with Johnny on Planet Mountain.  Most interesting one I've read so far. :coffee:

dave

Another interview with Johnny on Planet Mountain.  Most interesting one I've read so far. :coffee:

"Careless Torque. I told Ron Fawcett about it, and he climbed it just before me in 1987."

I didn't realise johnny had done CT! awesome etc.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

:whistle:

petejh

• forum hero
Nice.
Eloquent, articulated. Talented. Artistic. Self-assured. These are the words that immediately spring to mind after speaking to Johnny Dawes,

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
finished. weirded out... (v similar teenage years)

saddened, sickened, empathised, gutted, enthused, inspired, gutted.

a truly great book IMO FWIW...

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
You're all obviously much cleverer than I. Found it hard to concentrate on and confusing. Not unlike the man.

Danny

• junky
I have to agree. A disparate collection of brilliant wee snippets, but all too thin on the ground, amongst what seemed to me like pages and pages of who knows what, particularly in the second half.

Who knows though, I'm sure I have poor literary taste, and I'm sure I'd probably say the same about Ulysses, if I could ever bring myself to read more than a couple of pages. 

Paul B

• forum hero
I have to agree. A disparate collection of brilliant wee snippets, but all too thin on the ground, amongst what seemed to me like pages and pages of who knows what, particularly in the second half.

Who knows though, I'm sure I have poor literary taste, and I'm sure I'd probably say the same about Ulysses, if I could ever bring myself to read more than a couple of pages.

I'd agree. I'm yet to finish it and I'm only a handful of pages from the end.

Just got my hands on a copy from the man himself. Only dipped in so far, but its a nicely finished thing that in no way looks 'self-published'. But that approach has obviously given Johnny the freedom to do thing his way and there are LOADS of pictures and the odd sketch adding character. All looks great, will be getting stuck in asap.

It also introduced a shed load of errors into the book and for me they make it difficult and frustrating to read.  I could understand it being "quintessentially Johnny" but in my eyes its quintessentially in need of an edit (especially for £25).

dave

Its a Dawes book. So yes it got errors, yes parts are hard to read, and there's long rambling sections that at the time don't seem to be going anywhere. Because its a Dawes book. I for one would quite frankly feel cheated if the book was anything other than slightly flawed, as it wouldn't feel authentic.

Duma

• forum hero
What dave said. What on earth were you expecting? It certainly gave much more of a flavour of the man, and was much more interesting and entertaining than the Jerry book which I was dissapointed in (sorry vertebrate folk/grimer).

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal