UKBouldering.com

"magic" recovery...anyone has an explanation? (Read 3031 times)

ghisino

• forum abuser
"magic" recovery...anyone has an explanation?
October 12, 2011, 10:08:21 am
So i was bouldering outdoor on saturday, indoor on sunday, resting (and aching a lot) on monday.

yesterday my forearms were still noticeably sore, as if i had some kind of inflammation/microtrauma, but i went for a session anyway...very stiff and painful in the beginning, getting better and better as i warmed up. Ended up doing quite an intense session (even if relatively small volume-wise).

Today i expected to wake up still trashed, but...wtf??? my forearms feel fine, tired but definitely not as bad as i thought. No particular pain or inflammation. Almost as if last nights bouldering session "healed" me somehow.   

It's not the first time i experience something similar, but i still find it very counterintuitive.
Just for the sake of curiosity, anyone has an explanation?

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
You had a recovery workout.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
No, I believe its to do with the way the new resin slopers release infra-red radiation which promotes healing. I once matched on one and watched a small split in my cuticle disappear before my eyes.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
Question not, the ways of Lump the rock God (AKA Loki)! Lest he shower you in a plague of suddenly greasy slopers...

milksnake

• menacing presence
Give it day, he soreness will kick in.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
And ostio-arth, duptrens; worst of all... A really nasty flapper!!!

clm

• forum hero
I find nutrition has a big impact on aching too.

Big Dave

• menacing presence

Any DOMS today?

ghisino

• forum abuser

Any DOMS today?

nope.

but i omitted to say that saturday and especially sunday i had been climbing in really trashy fashion (several attempts in a row with too short rests, no cooldown, incomplete warmup with flash-pump on sunday...i was in a bad mood and went to the gym to get trashed, not to climb) whereas tuesday and wednesday i took longer rests between hard tries and finished the session with something easy.

still, the most convincing theory so far about why and how it can happen that a disciplined, not extremely hard session can fix residual muscle soreness is...radioactive resin!!!  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal