UKBouldering.com

To Farnborough and beyond (Read 3383 times)

chillax

• forum abuser
To Farnborough and beyond
October 07, 2011, 10:23:41 am
Awful sounding name isn't it?

Currently in a bit of a life shakeup as a relationship has just broken down  :boohoo:, getting frustrated/jaded with my job, and being very enticed by employment opportunities elsewhere. I'm fully set on the course of getting out of this fucking shit, broke, parochial, miserable, wet little country (gotta love Ireland!), and going somewhere new. My best employment prospects are in Canada (B.C.) and Australia, but a good looking opportunity has just popped up in Farnborough for a lot more money than I'm getting now. Its a contract thing so it could be a good thing to get set up to go further afield in the future.

So I guess my question here is, in terms of life and climbing in the UK is Farnborough utterly and iredeemably shit or is it alright?

Any and all advice appreciated peeps  :please:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1 Re: To Farnborough and beyond
October 07, 2011, 10:36:52 am
Theres no natural crags in Farnborough thats for sure.

Used to live nearish in a place called Bracknell as my dad worked at Farnborough airport for a good few years.

Wasn't climbing at the time, although was aware of an indoor wall in Crowthorne, but access was restricted to gym members and seemed quite hard to attain.  I think there is now a wall in Reading though, and Guldford isn't that far from Farnborough either.

That said you'd likely spend a lot of time sat in traffic driving between these places.

You'd not be too far from trips to Font, and the M4 would get you to South Wales and Bristol area in a few hours (traffic permitting again).

tomtom

• forum hero
#2 Re: To Farnborough and beyond
October 07, 2011, 10:49:01 am
I've never lived there just visited. Fairly normal SE town... no fireworks.. probably fairly expensive to find somewhere to live compared to other parts of the UK.

Climbing wise.. you're about an hour and a half from Portland etc.. to the west and the same to the Southern Sandstone in the East.

If you've no ties to Europe I'd pick BC out of that lot!

Still, you dont have to live somewhere for ever, so if it works out for a few months or a year or two etc..

Reprobate_Rob

• menacing presence
#3 Re: To Farnborough and beyond
October 07, 2011, 11:02:19 am
I've just finished around 5 years of contracting for Nokia down in Farnborough.
I will never go back. Ever.

I was living in Farnham and later on Guildford, which were nice enough areas. And you can get to Craggy Island, Craggy 2 and Reading CC fairly easily, but real rock... Portland/Swanage and Southern Sandstone... both a couple of hours drive or more, and both so inspiring I think I went to each once in that 7 years. I ended up driving up to the Peak every weekend instead.

BC/Australia/Farnborough? - I can't beleive you're even asking.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#4 Re: To Farnborough and beyond
October 07, 2011, 11:21:55 am
Nice but dull from what I've seen of the place when I lived in Surrey. Expensive too.

Can blast down M3 to Swanage and Portland quite easily, which are a fun diversion, esp in midsummer.

Traffic is always a shocker though.

In conclusion; OK as a stopgap, and probably worthwhile if the money is good.

Sorry about breakup, I recomment alcohol, copious amounts therof.

Rocksteady

• forum abuser
  • Crank
  • Hotter than the sun!
#5 Re: To Farnborough and beyond
October 07, 2011, 11:48:04 am
I grew up nearish Farnborough in Wokingham and a place called Eversley, but only really started climbing after I left home.

Having said that my brother and Dad have lived there for years and are keen climbers. Cheddar Gorge is about 2-2 1/2 hours drive, likewise Bream Down, probably the closest. Both fun spots for sport climbing. Southern Sandstone about 2 hours away but very variable on traffic. As mentioned above, Swanage can be got to in a similar time, Portland more like 3 or more depending on the traffic.

Farnborough town itself is a bit much-of-a-muchness. Generic southern town in my opinion. London is 40 minutes away by train to Clapham Junction/Waterloo.

Within striking range: Guildford has Craggy Island wall which is OK (and there's a new university wall I think), there is a wall at Alton which is usable, there is a wall in Crowthorne at Wellington College that is Bendcrete and top rope only. The new Reading wall I think is excellent for bouldering and good for lead climbing.

I wouldn't pick it as a place to live if climbing is a big and important part of your life. But if the career opportunity is good and climbing isn't so important I wouldn't write it off.

Having said that Aus and BC...

chillax

• forum abuser
#6 Re: To Farnborough and beyond
October 07, 2011, 02:25:13 pm
Cheers for the info all. Confirmed what I was expecting really.

In conclusion; OK as a stopgap, and probably worthwhile if the money is good.

Nail on head there I think. I'd be earning roughly twice what I get now, which is the main attraction. But at the same time I could be frugal for a few months and save a decent amount from my current job and still have a good buffer of cash for wherever i end up. And climbing is very important to me. I'd like to live in the UK at some point, but within more manageable distance of the peak/N wales. Don't want to go somewhere shit for the wrong reasons. Ponder ponder ponder.

BC is still top of the pile, but this is all food for thought. much appreciated people!

Sorry about breakup, I recomment alcohol, copious amounts therof.

I heartily concur  :pissed:

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#7 Re: To Farnborough and beyond
October 07, 2011, 02:38:54 pm
Not sure what your outgoing s are like at the moment, but bear in mind the cost of living in the SE is pretty brutal.

Regarding where you live though, if you hook up with the right people and get motivated you can easily organise trips away just about every weekend. I've got a mate who lives in Twickenham and he surfs in Cornwall on average two weekends a month. Just need to factor the expense of that in too.

andy_e

• forum hero
#8 Re: To Farnborough and beyond
October 07, 2011, 02:48:13 pm
BC all the way. Mining or something?

Hoseyb

• forum abuser
  • Master of Obscurites
    • www.hoseyb.org.uk
#9 Re: To Farnborough and beyond
October 07, 2011, 02:52:31 pm
Lived in Farnham before moving to North Wales.
the A303 my friend, I think my record was 4 hours to Penzance, although that may just be memory loss due to excessive Drum and Bass.
Certainly if you afford the petrol, the SW is  your playground

chillax

• forum abuser
#10 Re: To Farnborough and beyond
October 07, 2011, 02:59:54 pm
BC all the way. Mining or something?

Yeah, I do GIS stuff for mining companies. Vancouver is one of the centres of the universe for that shit, so I'll more than likely end up there at some point anyway.

iain

• forum abuser
#11 Re: To Farnborough and beyond
October 07, 2011, 03:03:47 pm
Sorry about breakup

:agree:

but real rock... Portland/Swanage and Southern Sandstone... both a couple of hours drive or more, and both so inspiring I think I went to each once in that 7 years. I ended up driving up to the Peak every weekend instead.

I definitely don't agree, you can't have tried very hard. The peak isn't everything  :tease:

Swanage is an amazing place with loads of gobsmacking routes, and portland has some great stuff if you're picky about what you get on. With the stuff around bristol within a couple of hours and south wales/cornwall fine for a weekend the only thing that there isn't down here is good bouldering.

In general living in the SE is a bit dull, just too busy and lacking anything remotely like wildness or hills. However, I'd also agree that it's fine as a stopgap, with more than enough good climbing nearby to keep everyone but the hardcore boulderer happy, and it's got the climate on its side too. Far more opportunities to get out route climbing over the winter without getting soggy or cold.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#12 Re: To Farnborough and beyond
October 07, 2011, 03:04:45 pm
If the Oz option is Western Australia be wary as whilst there is climbing there its very spread out.  Not masses around Perth either (nearest decent crag is Willyabrup 3hrs drive south near Margaret River, around Perth there are some disused granite quarries and a few smallish natural crags).

Reprobate_Rob

• menacing presence
#13 Re: To Farnborough and beyond
October 07, 2011, 05:27:50 pm
Never said the Peak was everything, far from it.

But, particularly from a boulderers point of view, Southern sandstone and Portland are bobbins. :yes:

iain

• forum abuser
#14 Re: To Farnborough and beyond
October 07, 2011, 10:20:22 pm
But, particularly from a boulderers point of view, Southern sandstone and Portland are bobbins. :yes:

Yup, they are

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal