UKBouldering.com

Bin Lids (Read 10853 times)

nik at work

• forum hero
Bin Lids
September 27, 2011, 02:54:01 pm
With a growing desire to trad, and get on some bigger stuff I think the time has come to get myself one of the rigid plastic beanies. Anybody got a recommendation?
I'd be keen for the light, comfortable, you don't even know you've got it on variety rather than the cast iron could survive a direct hit by a tactical nuke end of the market.

robertostallioni

• forum hero
#1 Re: Bin Lids
September 27, 2011, 02:59:26 pm

nik at work

• forum hero
#2 Re: Bin Lids
September 27, 2011, 03:00:11 pm
We have a winner.

tomtom

• forum hero
#3 Re: Bin Lids
September 27, 2011, 03:07:59 pm
I raise your feeble stormtrooper with an R2D2 Stallioni!
Take that! (I know which wearer I prefer!)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#4 Re: Bin Lids
September 27, 2011, 03:08:35 pm
You want to wear a child on your head?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Bin%20Lids

I've worn one of the Camp ones for a while and really liked it (remove the stickers though!)

The most recent itineration of mine, the Armour, looks good.

http://www.camp-usa.com/products/helmets/armour-red-19001.asp

The lass has a BD half dome and loves it.

http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-gb/shop/climb/helmets/half-dome-helmet

Basically though it's hard to buy a crap one, as they all have CE ratings. Go to a shop and try some on, and see where your maximum cost / minimum comfort lines cross. Esp as some really don't fit well, esp if you have a melon head like me.

tomtom

• forum hero
#5 Re: Bin Lids
September 27, 2011, 03:10:39 pm
:8

csurfleet

• menacing presence
#6 Re: Bin Lids
September 27, 2011, 03:11:43 pm
My Meteor 3 definitely fits in the 'you don't know you're wearing it' category. I've walked into the pub still wearing it before. Of course my bastard mates didn't say a word the entire way there...  :chair:

nik at work

• forum hero
#7 Re: Bin Lids
September 27, 2011, 03:21:34 pm
Hmmm, the Meteor does look nice but pricey. The BD offering is temping on price. Pondering time...

Thanks for the thoughts (if you knit me a bender hat tomtom I'll wear it, did I just write that??)

tomtom

• forum hero
#8 Re: Bin Lids
September 27, 2011, 03:37:01 pm
Thanks for the thoughts (if you knit me a bender hat tomtom I'll wear it, did I just write that??)

I don't believe I just googled 'bender hat' from work.. I can hear the internet Feds stomping up the stairs as I speak... said hats are bespoke from this lady: http://www.etsy.com/shop/cheewawamomma?ref=top_trail# but judging by the page she's been swamped with orders.. great idea though :)

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#9 Re: Bin Lids
September 27, 2011, 03:39:01 pm
Don't make a decision without going and trying them on - fit is really important. There's nothing worse than a climbing helmet that irritates you.

Also remember if you go for one of the lightweight ones they won't last long if you go winter climbing. One direct hit by a chunk of ice and they'll probably be cracked.

stevej

• menacing presence
#10 Re: Bin Lids
September 27, 2011, 03:44:41 pm
Don't be tempted by the WC rocklite or whatever it's called or a bargain-bin alpine-shield (sans shield) because they're shit unless your head is the size of a planet and the shape of whatever deformed object wild country measured instead of a human head. Haven't tried the BD foam one (tracer?) but didn't like a mate's half-dome (nasty big hard thing resting on your crown, ridiculous strap system that needed bits chopping to actually adjust) but I think they've changed it since.

Had a meteor until I broke it between my head and the floor and it was a much better than either of those and dead easy to adjust for woolly-hat snowy ledge shuffling nonsense.

dave

#11 Re: Bin Lids
September 27, 2011, 04:15:49 pm
Don't buy anything other than a meteor 3. You seriously don't know you're wearing it. Not worth saving a few quid with some camp or WC bullshit. If you're a legshaver or weirdo they are rated for cycling and caneoing too, so you're actually saving ched.

erm, sam

• forum hero
#12 Re: Bin Lids
September 27, 2011, 05:53:32 pm
Its all about the fit and what feels right, but that said I'm +1 for a Meteor 3.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#13 Re: Bin Lids
September 27, 2011, 07:50:29 pm
That R2D2 one is fucking wicked though.

Drewski Rootbitch

• addict
#14 Re: Bin Lids
September 27, 2011, 08:02:42 pm
I live in an Elios at work and it's fine. I have a Meteor as well,
but I tend to default to the Elios just because I don't have to be as careful with it and can stuff it in the rucksack with less concern.
It's also a bit smaller overall than my Meteor, so seems to catch on the rock a little less, but maybe that's just me?
All minor issues compared to how they feel on.
I'd also think about what you want it for, is it to protect against falls or things falling and hitting you, or the compromise of both?

robertostallioni

• forum hero
#15 Re: Bin Lids
September 27, 2011, 08:04:54 pm
Dickhead.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#16 Re: Bin Lids
September 27, 2011, 08:35:54 pm

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#17 Re: Bin Lids
September 27, 2011, 09:03:14 pm
Don't make a decision without going and trying them on - fit is really important.

:agree:

I went to the shop intending to buy some model or other that I had read a review of - and fortunately I did go to the shop and try it on first, rather than ordering online, because it just didn't fit me comfortably at all. The one I came away from the shop with with that does fit me is a Grivel Air Tech, with which I'm very happy. Light, comfy, can wear it all day and not be bothered by it.

(The bright yellow colour is a plus too, esp. if I wear it for belaying with my matching "carat" Alpkit Filo jacket  8))

Which is not to suggest that you, too, should buy this helmet - but rather that you, too, should go to a shop and make sure you buy a helmet that fits your head.

tomtom

• forum hero
#18 Re: Bin Lids
September 27, 2011, 09:13:52 pm
I too have a Petzl Elios. Always been fine for me...

petejh

• forum hero
#19 Re: Bin Lids
September 27, 2011, 09:51:47 pm
I've had the petzl meteor 1 and meteor 2 and currently have a BD Half Dome. Don't buy a BD half dome - its chin strap is a bona fide piece of shit, seemingly designed by somebody who's never tried to adjust a helmet chinstrap. Meteor's going to be my next lid.

petejh

• forum hero
#20 Re: Bin Lids
September 27, 2011, 10:24:43 pm
It's the BD Tracer, not the Half dome. Still shit as fuck though.

nik at work

• forum hero
#21 Re: Bin Lids
September 27, 2011, 10:33:46 pm
Wow, lots of good advice, cheers peeps.
Try before you buy seems to be the take home message so that I will do.

As for why I want a helmet. Well I'm not really sure... I've never had one before but I kind of think that I should have one now. Got to think of the children and all that maybe??? As for whether it's to stop things hitting me or me hitting things I'd guess that despite my grand nottions realistically I'm unlikely to travel much beyond solid single pitch territory (with the occassional foray onto Manx looseness) so in the main it will be a stop me hitting things device. Does that make a difference?

Thanks for all the useful advice.

petejh

• forum hero
#22 Re: Bin Lids
September 27, 2011, 11:26:26 pm
When I used to take any notice - it used to be that the foam jobbies were regarded as being better for absorbing a 'side of head hitting the rock' type impact but were useless after one such impact, whereas the more traditional hard shell helmets (like the old Ecrin Roc) were better at providing protection for a few impacts before becoming fubar'd, which is why alpinists/winter climbers used to like hard shell lids - lots of falling rocks and ice. Nowadays it seems most lids are some kind of hybrid between hard shell longevity and lightweight foam 'one impact' types.

Did I mention the Tracer's chin strap is shit.

stevej

• menacing presence
#23 Re: Bin Lids
September 28, 2011, 12:26:20 am
Did I mention the Tracer's chin strap is shit.

Assuming it's similar to the half-dome, have you tried cutting off the furry bit and all the sheath gubbins obviously leaving the actual strap and the buckle intact? Old housemate attacked her half-dome with scissors and it made the chin strap almost usable.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#24 Re: Bin Lids
September 28, 2011, 09:17:58 am

I know a couple of people who swear by the BD Tracer as the best helmet they've ever had. Not idiots or punters either. I guess its what fits your head.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#25 Re: Bin Lids
September 28, 2011, 09:36:46 am
When I used to take any notice - it used to be that the foam jobbies were regarded as being better for absorbing a 'side of head hitting the rock' type impact but were useless after one such impact, whereas the more traditional hard shell helmets (like the old Ecrin Roc) were better at providing protection for a few impacts before becoming fubar'd, which is why alpinists/winter climbers used to like hard shell lids - lots of falling rocks and ice.

That is what our sponsors The BMC suggest.

What others say - try on a selection.  I had decided I wanted a Half Dome until I put one on my head and ended up opting for a Meteor instead. 

petejh

• forum hero
#26 Re: Bin Lids
September 28, 2011, 12:52:41 pm
I know a couple of people who swear by the BD Tracer as the best helmet they've ever had. Not idiots or punters either. I guess its what fits your head.

It's the plastic adjustment buckle on the Tracer, which is supposed to snap shut to hold the adjustment straps in place, which is the badly designed part - mine doesn't snap shut because it broke the first outing I had with it. It broke because it's a poor and fragile design and therefore it doesn't hold the chin strap in position, which makes wearing the helmet pretty annoying - especially for winter climbing where you need to adjust the chin strap through the day to fit over balaclavas and hoddies being added/taken off. Just a cheap and badly designed piece of plastic on an otherwise decent helmet. Bearing in mind how much I paid for the lid I expected a more durable piece of kit. The Meteor has all the good features of the Tracer, without the bad.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#27 Re: Bin Lids
September 28, 2011, 01:24:15 pm
I would have taken it back?

El Mocho

• forum abuser
#28 Re: Bin Lids
September 28, 2011, 02:35:11 pm

It's the plastic adjustment buckle on the Tracer...

I got the BD one, never had an issue with the strap - but then it hasn't broken on me! I have worn it for all my (helmet wearing) climbing for the last few years - trad, winter and Alpine and it has been great. I don't bother adjusting the chin strap at all from when I first set it up, the helmet fits me so well I don't have the strap super tight so it still fits with hats on underneath.

The Meateor 2 or whatever it was just didn't fit me as well - for my size head it seemed much bulkier...

Like people have said try them on.

ps Pete - have had a bit to do with Lindsay at BD in the UK and he has always been really helpfull with gear/returns, could be worth giving him a shout...

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
#29 Re: Bin Lids
September 28, 2011, 03:17:20 pm
Nik,
I have the lightweight BD one. (not sure of the model name). I hate it but I hate every helmet I have tried on.

Let me know next time you are down the wall I can lend you mine for a few of weeks if you want.

nik at work

• forum hero
#30 Re: Bin Lids
September 28, 2011, 03:22:46 pm
Cheers for the offer Grubes. I might try it for size if that's OK, I'd be wary of letting me disapear off into the distance with it, lord knows what I'd go flinging myself off, it might not return the same shape as it left.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#31 Re: Bin Lids
September 28, 2011, 05:50:31 pm
+1 for Meteor.  I've had lots of different helmets over the years, but never really used them that much. Now I wear the helmet for most routes.

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
#32 Re: Bin Lids
September 28, 2011, 06:53:55 pm
I'd say the Meteor 3+ (the newest one), and the Elios seem to fit more people than anything else I've ever sold. I think the new Half Dome is better than the old version. Not sure about the chin strap, but the actual helmet itself. I'd still look at Petzl though.

webbo

• forum hero
#33 Re: Bin Lids
September 28, 2011, 07:49:12 pm
My god when do where this shirley not when working the keel.Or does it sit on your desk at work suitably battered and scratched to impress the under grads "yes thats a little scratch I got on the north face after the 5th bivouac".

tomtom

• forum hero
#34 Re: Bin Lids
September 28, 2011, 07:53:09 pm
My god when do where this shirley not when working the keel.Or does it sit on your desk at work suitably battered and scratched to impress the under grads "yes thats a little scratch I got on the north face after the 5th bivouac".

:) nope it's in a dark room along with my rope (!!!!!). I last wore it 3 years ago :)

webbo

• forum hero
#35 Re: Bin Lids
September 28, 2011, 08:27:13 pm
Helmet now rope.Next you will saying they are stored along side your axes and crampons with your copy of cold climbs with just a couple of ticks needed to complete the set. :o

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#36 Re: Bin Lids
September 28, 2011, 08:46:59 pm
I guess its what fits your head.

Agreed, the best helmet is the one which you are most likely to wear, and not leave in the bag, because its restrictive or hot or whatever.

I have an original meteor, lasted for many years and no issues. I'd go lightweight personally, but lots of people like the Elios too.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#37 Re: Bin Lids
September 28, 2011, 09:15:29 pm
A fair few of them come in two sizes too, so its worth checking before writing off a model.

petejh

• forum hero
#38 Re: Bin Lids
September 28, 2011, 10:08:35 pm
I would have taken it back?

I can't for the life of me remember why I didn't take it back at the time, it was just before last winter and I probably got sidetracked and thought I'd left it too long for a refund/replacement. Where's Ann Robinson or whoever hosts that consumer show when you need her?

tomtom

• forum hero
#39 Re: Bin Lids
September 28, 2011, 10:15:36 pm
Helmet now rope.Next you will saying they are stored along side your axes and crampons with your copy of cold climbs with just a couple of ticks needed to complete the set. :o

:)no axes but some old placcy boots in the attic... I did second (ahem attempt to second) Nai up the rasp the other week which was a cruel reminder why I should stick with my mat and bucket...

csurfleet

• menacing presence
#40 Re: Bin Lids
September 29, 2011, 01:14:10 pm

Just because this image should be on both pages...  :whistle:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal