UKBouldering.com

Thorn Crag parking? (Read 7654 times)

andy popp

• forum hero
Thorn Crag parking?
September 19, 2011, 08:58:57 am
An abortive (rain foiled) attempt to visit last month left me very unsure where you're meant to park in Tarnbrook. The Lakesbloc pdf is somewhat vague. Can anyone describe it more clearly?

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#1 Re: Thorn Crag parking?
September 19, 2011, 09:12:35 am
You used to parl on the right in the 3 car space, which now has a sign saying no parking.  I now park on that bit of grass on the left just before the gate to more houses.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#2 Re: Thorn Crag parking?
September 19, 2011, 09:14:25 am
The other side of the wall to the right hand "Higher Syke" .

andy popp

• forum hero
#3 Re: Thorn Crag parking?
September 19, 2011, 09:23:28 am
Thanks Gareth, hoping to try again tomorrow.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#4 Re: Thorn Crag parking?
September 20, 2011, 08:45:20 am
Better take an umbrella!!

andy popp

• forum hero
#5 Re: Thorn Crag parking?
September 20, 2011, 09:51:51 pm
I had a nice time actually, my first visit, bone dry and lovely light early afternoon. Time was limited (and I'm all crook) so didn't go anywhere but Burnt Heather area, such beautiful rock! Theres an amazing looking undercut diamond shaped slab sat by itself about half way between the Burnt Heather bit and the Main Crag. Its not in Greg's selected bouldering pdf. Presumably there's stuff on it? Anyway, very much looking forward to going back.

rginns

• junky
  • Holds innit
    • Strongholds
#6 Re: Thorn Crag parking?
September 20, 2011, 09:54:57 pm
I had a nice time actually, my first visit, bone dry and lovely light early afternoon. Time was limited (and I'm all crook) so didn't go anywhere but Burnt Heather area, such beautiful rock! Theres an amazing looking undercut diamond shaped slab sat by itself about half way between the Burnt Heather bit and the Main Crag. Its not in Greg's selected bouldering pdf. Presumably there's stuff on it? Anyway, very much looking forward to going back.

:agree: Thorn crag is awesome, one of my favourite crags - it's remoteness makes it all the better. :)

tomtom

• forum hero
#7 Re: Thorn Crag parking?
September 20, 2011, 09:55:50 pm

Is it worth the trip Andy? (from S.Mancs for me..)

andy popp

• forum hero
#8 Re: Thorn Crag parking?
September 20, 2011, 09:59:50 pm
Definitely Tom (though you'd certainly be looking at a bit of a drive). I only saw one small bit but the rock is of such incredible quality. A total pleasure to climb on. Would be good to hook up sometime.

tomtom

• forum hero
#9 Re: Thorn Crag parking?
September 20, 2011, 10:33:14 pm
Thanks - sounds great, prob not too far away... one to put in the bank for later..

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#10 Re: Thorn Crag parking?
September 21, 2011, 08:41:54 am
The Diamond slab has a few problems on it, highballs.

I'm always keen for a visit, so if you're heading up there let me know. Car share may be required!

grimer

• forum hero
#11 Re: Thorn Crag parking?
September 21, 2011, 08:45:24 am
There's an E7 there called Dr Shipman's Surgery that Adi did. I thought it was one of the best looking hard routes i ever seen. It's one of those lines that, no matter what grade it was, you'd want to climb it.

Greg C

• forum hero
#12 Re: Thorn Crag parking?
September 22, 2011, 01:19:58 pm

Pretty much everything, including updated parking info, is in the Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide Vol 2, by Total Climbing. I wrote the Thorn Crag section of the guide, thus why there is no definitive free topo at present.

webbo

• forum hero
#13 Re: Thorn Crag parking?
September 22, 2011, 01:42:53 pm

Is it worth the trip Andy? (from S.Mancs for me..)

Probably not you need to stick to the crag and not venture too far.However if you get adventurous in your old age its doable as a day trip from the East Riding.

andy popp

• forum hero
#14 Re: Thorn Crag parking?
September 22, 2011, 04:18:51 pm

Pretty much everything, including updated parking info, is in the Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide Vol 2, by Total Climbing. I wrote the Thorn Crag section of the guide, thus why there is no definitive free topo at present.

Thanks Greg, that makes sense. Looks like I might have to invest ...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal