UKBouldering.com

Bike rack/carrier for a Van (Read 1879 times)

richieb

• menacing presence
Bike rack/carrier for a Van
September 24, 2011, 04:25:23 pm
I normally carry bikes inside the van, but on a trip it can be a real pain in the arse unloading the bikes everytime we want to get stuff out of the back or make a brew. Plus it means we have to stash the bikes in a nearby bush when dossing in a layby.
Basically the van isn't big enough to keep the bikes inside when the bed is up.
Also if the bikes are muddy it can be abit grim.

Anyone got any experience of roof mounted carriers on a van? (I've already got roof bars). Assuming  I can lift the bikes up onto the roof is there anything else I should take into account?
Cant seem to find a rear mounted carrier that will fit my van (Peugeot Expert 2008 -  barn doors) and Im thinking as Ive got the roof bars already roof mounted is the way to go.

Thanks

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#1 Re: Bike rack/carrier for a Van
September 25, 2011, 09:20:42 am
If you've got a tow bar, there's a few more options

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#2 Re: Bike rack/carrier for a Van
September 25, 2011, 01:27:18 pm
What lagers said. If you haven't got a towbar it moghtbe worth looking at getting one and using a towbar mounted rack. If not toof mouting can be fine,but mightbe a bit tricky as your van is pretty high already. A step might be needed to do it safely.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#3 Re: Bike rack/carrier for a Van
September 25, 2011, 03:35:44 pm
moghtbe

is this the Scottish Gaelic word that is pronounced "vroom" and means motorbike?

richieb

• menacing presence
#4 Re: Bike rack/carrier for a Van
September 25, 2011, 03:39:16 pm
Cheers. Oh yeah forgot to mention I ain't got no towbar. I'd rather avoid getting one fitted cos I understand its not cheap.

Any thoughts on fork mounted (take front wheel off) versus leave the front wheel on  carriers? Im thinking its gonna be easier lifting bikes up onto the roof without the front wheel on.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#5 Re: Bike rack/carrier for a Van
September 25, 2011, 05:30:30 pm
moghtbe

is this the Scottish Gaelic word that is pronounced "vroom" and means motorbike?

Shite keyboard and fast typing. "Might be"

No idea about options for roof mounting though, sorry mate.

Bikes on the roof are apparently really bad for fuel economy too.

grumpycrumpy

• junky
  • metrosexual redneck
#6 Re: Bike rack/carrier for a Van
September 25, 2011, 06:08:31 pm
Cheers. Oh yeah forgot to mention I ain't got no towbar. I'd rather avoid getting one fitted cos I understand its not cheap.

Any thoughts on fork mounted (take front wheel off) versus leave the front wheel on  carriers? Im thinking its gonna be easier lifting bikes up onto the roof without the front wheel on.

It's quite easy to fit your own tow bar ....... Took me about an hour and I had to cut slots to fit it round the LPG system on my van ...... I used a professional to fit the electrics , but that only cost about sixty quid inc. parts ........ Well worth giving it a go , and most makes of towbar can be found on ebay at very reasonable prices .......   

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal