UKBouldering.com

Engine Remapping is it worth it?? (Read 4448 times)

maybe_si

• player
Engine Remapping is it worth it??
October 01, 2011, 06:07:52 pm

Ive got a 2008 Fiat Bravo 1.9 Multijet (150), its pretty swift already and still has a pretty good mpg but im intruiged about getting it remapped.  I have heard tales of much more power whilst still managing to increase economy.... has anyone had any experiences with this good or bad, any recommendations etc.

Cheers

Si

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#1 Re: Engine Remapping is it worth it??
October 01, 2011, 06:53:46 pm

Yes, definitely.

More torque, power and better economy unless you're thrashing it.

A quick search reckons you could get 212 bhp and 327 lb.ft.

maybe_si

• player
#2 Re: Engine Remapping is it worth it??
October 01, 2011, 06:58:43 pm

crikey where did you find those figures?! best i could find was 190bhp!   :clap2:

tomtom

• forum hero
#3 Re: Engine Remapping is it worth it??
October 01, 2011, 07:05:27 pm
A friend (c.8-10 years ago) had a Saab900 turbo remapped from 225 to c.300 IIRC. Went like a train. Screwed the (expensive) clutch and the gearbox was on the way before he got rid.. It took a while (20k or so) before this kicked in, but worth bearing in mind if you go for a big raise...
I suspect stuff like this depends on how over/under stressed those components are in the original spec.. some manufacturers may have the cluch from the mega sporty model in the slightly lower ones (for example) in which case probably no worries....

Barratt

• menacing presence
    • Rocket
#4 Re: Engine Remapping is it worth it??
October 01, 2011, 07:14:16 pm

crikey where did you find those figures?! best i could find was 190bhp!   :clap2:

Claimed figures are not always accurate - rather they are most often bollocks.

190 seems more doable, though I would speak to a reputable garage to get an honest opinion (Steve at Stattller Porchse in Sheffield has sorted a few remaps for me in the past, he's a good guy and knows his stuff). He will also be able to tell you what's a safe raise in power in relation to engine stregnths/weaknesses.

Remaps are indeed very good. Figure out what you want it for, max speed, ultimate fuel efficiency etc and get an appropriate map to suit (they all have different characteristics).

Good luck!

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#5 Re: Engine Remapping is it worth it??
October 01, 2011, 08:10:32 pm
crikey where did you find those figures?! best i could find was 190bhp!

Celtic Tuning

They've got quite a good reputation though I've never used them myself. When I get the spare cash I plan to remap my Mondeo. One of the reasons for going with Celtic is that they offer a re-usable tuning box. The advantage of this is that though the initial cost is higher, you can use it on all future cars for about £100 per map.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal