UKBouldering.com

Newstones - Peak District. Quick to dry? (Read 2701 times)

ShortRound

• addict
Newstones - Peak District. Quick to dry?
September 09, 2011, 01:43:14 pm

Hello,

Having a rare visit to the Peak on Saturday coming over from Knutsford so looking around Roaches area for some bouldering. Given that the forecast says dry for most of today and tomorrow what's the likelyhood Newstones will be dry? Never been before so could use some local knowledge.

Many thanks

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1 Re: Newstones - Peak District. Quick to dry?
September 09, 2011, 01:46:48 pm
Is it the Newstones which has soft rock where the patina has gone through in a few places and is inadvisable to climb after a lot of of rain / if the rock is at all damp? I seem to remember some forum traffic about it a while back.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#2 Re: Newstones - Peak District. Quick to dry?
September 09, 2011, 02:00:03 pm
Yeah, what Chris said. Roaches or Five Clouds might be a better bet, or from Kuntsford Bosley cloud is a touch closer.

Forecast is windy though, so things could dry off properly if the rain holds off for more than a few hours.

ShortRound

• addict
#3 Re: Newstones - Peak District. Quick to dry?
September 09, 2011, 02:11:40 pm
Is it the Newstones which has soft rock where the patina has gone through in a few places and is inadvisable to climb after a lot of of rain / if the rock is at all damp? I seem to remember some forum traffic about it a while back.

Ah thanks for the knowledge, I've abandonned climbing at Kebs for that reason.

ShortRound

• addict
#4 Re: Newstones - Peak District. Quick to dry?
September 09, 2011, 02:14:07 pm
Yeah, what Chris said. Roaches or Five Clouds might be a better bet, or from Kuntsford Bosley cloud is a touch closer.

Forecast is windy though, so things could dry off properly if the rain holds off for more than a few hours.

Thanks for the tips

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal