UKBouldering.com

Mello without car (Read 2224 times)

nodder

• obsessive maniac
Mello without car
September 06, 2011, 12:15:34 pm
Due to a minor misunderstanding I don't have a driving licence to hire a car at present, so what does anyone know about

1- public transport getting to mello
2- buying food and stuff
3- Camping near some boulders

Alternatively how long do DVLA normally take to send back a licence?

danm

• junky
#1 Re: Mello without car
September 06, 2011, 01:05:19 pm
I don't know about getting from an airport to Mello by public transport, but it must be possible as there are major towns in the main valley (Val Tellina).

There are 2 campsites in the village of San Martino, I stayed in the small one a little bit up the hill and it was great. A short walk into the village which has bars, restaurants and convenience store etc.

You can walk easily into the bouldering areas from the village, in fact vehicular access is restricted. One of the things that pissed me off during my visit is that it is obvious that this beautiful valley needs protection, yet climbers still insisted in camping and shitting in the woods to save on camp site fees. I found this hard to fathom to be honest.

cofe

• forum hero
#2 Re: Mello without car
September 06, 2011, 01:06:39 pm
1. Fuck Nose.
2. There's a mini-mart, emphasis on mini, in Filorera/Cataeggio. Main supermarket is way out the valley on the way to Morbegno. Other small shops. A lot of restaurants bars seem to have weird opening times, or none at all, if out of season.
3. Camping. Not stayed there myself, but looks OK. Not too far to a few main-ish areas such as Remenno. Bit further to Val di Mello itself, miles to Bagni di Masino. Close enough to stuff anyway.
4. Call the DVLA.

edit: what danm said as well etc...

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#3 Re: Mello without car
September 06, 2011, 01:12:29 pm
DVLA pretty quick in general, so hopefully wont be necessary. Depends on when you go I suppose.

Paul B

• forum hero
#4 Re: Mello without car
September 06, 2011, 01:13:59 pm
3. Camping. Not stayed there myself, but looks OK. Not too far to a few main-ish areas such as Remenno. Bit further to Val di Mello itself, miles to Bagni di Masino. Close enough to stuff anyway.

The camping wanted the equivalent of a Solo Granito guide per night for us parking our van, they're not cheap. I'd reckon its going to be a real ball ache without a car.

I remember food at the Luna refuggio being very cheap and very good.

nodder

• obsessive maniac
#5 Re: Mello without car
September 07, 2011, 07:53:22 pm
cheers all sounds like it will work its self out.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal