UKBouldering.com

New Peak limestone guide????? (Read 3310 times)

weakdave

• forum abuser
  • Technically lacking
New Peak limestone guide?????
November 10, 2011, 12:07:00 pm
I know its grit season and all but does anybody know when the new Peak limestone guide (new Rockfax after 2004 edition) is out? I seem to remember reading somewhere early on in the year that it would be out for summer or autumn this year but havent seen anything since.

metal arms

• menacing presence

Neil F

• obsessive maniac
#2 Re: New Peak limestone guide?????
November 10, 2011, 01:06:21 pm
On the same subject, the main agenda item at the next BMC Peak Area meeting, is the definitive BMC Peak Limestone guidebook, on which work is currently underway.

Guidebook supremo Grimer has promised to attend, along with Ian Carr, current Guidebook Committee chair.

I know that there have been mutterings that several people have wanted to get involved in this guide, either as authors for specific crags, as route or script checkers, or whatever, but that to date there has been little opportunity to even register that interest.

In the meantime, the other guidebook agencies are circling, and the classic 2 buses scenario seems more than likely - ie. you wait 15 years for a Peak Limestone guide, and then 3 come at once...

Well, for one, I think that the BMC is quite capable of producing the Peak Limestone guide, but this will only happen if the true activists - or at least those willing and able to deliver the goods - are encouraged to write scripts and get involved.

The meeting, at The Maynard in Grindleford, at 7.30 on 23rd November, is your chance to come along and make your voice heard on this important matter.  And I hope many of you will do just that!

And, if you have wondered if BMC area meetings are really for you, let me reassure you that here in the Peak we have had the best attended meetings of any BMC area this year, with some excellent debates.  We provide free chips and butties.  And if you are still not sure, this particular meeting is one of the more entertaining ones on the annual calendar, and this year will feature an impressive quiz of gritstone obscurity and superior ethics by someone called Johnny Brown.

Hope to see you there...

Neil (BMC Peak Area Chair)

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#3 Re: New Peak limestone guide?????
November 10, 2011, 03:42:35 pm
In the meantime, the other guidebook agencies are circling, and the classic 2 buses scenario seems more than likely - ie. you wait 15 years for a Peak Limestone guide, and then 3 come at once...

Or 2 come at once, and the other arrives a lot later when there are no passengers left

T_B

• forum hero
#4 Re: New Peak limestone guide?????
November 11, 2011, 04:48:14 pm
How about some nice, downloadable PDF's for the popular sport venues (e.g. Cornice) or more obscure places with new development (Thors cave) in this age of austerity?

I mean, how much worthwhile development has actually happened at Stoney, or Ravensdale in the past 15 years? Am in a minority thinking the limestone has v different types of crags, that cater for different types of climbers, whereas on Stanage, someone trying a boulder problem 8a can be climbing alongside someone on a Diff?

I can't get too excited about a guidebook full of crags I won't ever visit and ones where I already have a perfectly decent selected guidebook.

Or, if you can't give up your hefty tomes crack, at least stick the trad shuffling into one publication and all the sport stuff in another one?

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#5 Re: New Peak limestone guide?????
November 12, 2011, 07:41:34 pm
I assume there will be bouldering as well? If the guidebook takes as long as BMC guidebooks usually take, there will be lots of new stuff. There are a few crags that didn't make it into the peak bouldering guide, plus all Mike A's new quarry stuff east of Sheffield (is this area covered?), and quite a few crags that various people have been keeping secret till they finish developing them, which hopefully will be within the next ten years!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal