UKBouldering.com

power recruitment, another question (Read 2688 times)

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
power recruitment, another question
September 06, 2011, 02:34:09 pm
years ago, I asked about power recruitment here http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,10697.msg178004.html#msg178004
and the answers were clear, it's a neurological activation.
I wonder if it happens also in doing weights.
yesterday in the gym I did my usual routine, spicing it up a little bit.
at the lat machine, with a very wide grip (Dorian Yates style), I did 5 reps starting with 35 kilos and going up to 65 with 5 kilos increases. that is 7 sets.
then I switched to the handle.
I started from 35 again and did 5 reps for each 5 kilos increase up to 55 kilos. so 5 sets for each arm.
then I went to the pull up bar, and my one arming power was on. I wasn't tired from the volume done (and the one handed lat machine is very strenuous for me, you can't twist your body, so you have to just pull the fuck down asymmetrically), and I did four sets of three one armers. I had to take some weight off some times, but I felt really good.
so, could it be possible that this kind of activation works also at a more "muscular" level? or is it just the same thing of doing plyometrics or campusing?
thanks.

ghisino

• forum abuser
#1 Re: power recruitment, another question
September 06, 2011, 04:18:00 pm
bestia,

i have no clue but i can give you a nice side-answer (you know those answers that seem to answer but really don't get to the point, and possibly add more confusion, or simply tell you something you already know?)

http://www.unm.edu/~lkravitz/Article%20folder/postactivationUNM.html

ps
i'd doubt there is anything muscular happening in such a short time, apart from getting flooded with blood and activation of the various energy cycles. but really i'm talking of things i don't really know.

what i do know aneddoctically is that a couple of really short 1-armed hard deadhangs followed by a couple of max-speed pullups, performed roughly 10 minutes before "showtime", seem to work great for me  ;)

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#2 Re: power recruitment, another question
September 07, 2011, 07:57:37 am
très gentil mon gros.
 :great:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal