UKBouldering.com

Holiday ideas - coached chuffing or bouldering? (Read 1941 times)

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
Holiday ideas - coached chuffing or bouldering?
September 05, 2011, 07:45:18 pm
My partner for my usual winter holiday of sunny bolt clipping is unavailable this year, so I am looking for ideas for a solo trip abroad in November to January. 

My main consideration is normally that the destination is reliably sunny and dry.  Recent trips have been to the likes of Mallorca, Costa Blanca and El Chorro - spent trying to onsight as many 3star routes as possible.  So, cool conditions for hard-projecting aren't a massive consideration.  I mainly go abroad to assuage the winter blues, I just want to feel the Sun on my back, rather than push my grade.

However, as this time I'll be on my own, I guess I'll have to try something at least a little different.  The obvious choice would be a bouldering area.  But, so far as I know,  the obvious ones - Font and Swizzy - are not really much warmer or dryer in winter than the UK?   Are there any alternatives, e.g. in southern Europe, that will offer warm (or at least dry) cranking?  I only plan to be away for around a week / week-and-half, so US or South Africa probably wouldn't be worthwhile - unless any of you know different?

An alternative I'm also considering - to overcome the problem of having no partner - is coached bolt clipping.  I've always been curious about whether my chuffing might benefit from a bit of direction and this strikes me as a good opportunity.  I'd be happy to pay the extra for even the slightest bit of insight that might help me for the rest of my climbing years (even if it's just assuaging my ridiculous fear of falling on bolts).  So, does anyone know of any coached sport climbing courses that are available this winter?  Any personal recommendations or experiences of coaching holidays will be gratefully received.

An entire winter spent trying to make the best of the Yorkshire climate fills me with despair, so any ideas or advice will be much appreciated.  The start of autumn is already making me feel a bit glum.... I need a light at the end of the tunnel that isn't an oncoming train!

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
Hi moose

I have been on a couple coaching sessions with Nik Jennings (Nik at Work). They were really good I learned a lot from them.
I know hes got a course planned for costa blanca in october. Not sure if hes got any spaces left though.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
I'm heading out with a fairly mixed group to El Chorro in October (18th to 24th). We've still got space, so feel free to PM me if you want to join - the more the merrier!

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
Cheers for the ideas, but October is a bit early for me - I'll likely still be coping! I generally try to hold off my holiday until late November / early December - when I'm truly despairing that the hideous cold and wet will ever end!  That said, the Nik Jennings holiday in March might be an option for my Spring holiday if my normal partner is unavailable again.

biscuit

• menacing presence
Thread hi-jack - sorry !

Fultonious i live nr El Chorro now and am lacking a regular partner at the moment if you've an odd number in your group then drop me a line and i'll happily make up the numbers.

Back on track i went on a coaching holiday with Gaz Parry and onsighted and rp'd my hardest ever grades in the same week. Well worth it in my opinion and i still use the tactics and tips i learnt.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
Cheers biscuit - sounds like coaching might be worthwhile.  If the weather was better in this country I'd be tempted to arrange a day or two here  - I just have a fear of it raining and having to spend lots of time and money getting emabrassed at an indoor wall!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal