UKBouldering.com

yorkshiregrit.com (Read 71440 times)

andy_e

• forum hero
#150 Re: yorkshiregrit.com
October 03, 2014, 09:57:15 am
I'm up for a consortium. My job will be to go out and get grade estimates on every problem in Yorkshire.

Seriously though, I'm more than happy to submit any photos/videos I may have to help, plus write crag/problem descriptions and things like that. I've got no computer skills but I've got a decent number of problems stored in my head!

tomtom

• forum hero
#151 Re: yorkshiregrit.com
October 03, 2014, 10:03:57 am
I've no idea - but would have thought some sort of third party wiki site thingy could be used?
Or talk to the peakbouldering folk?

I can do a bit more of the techy side of things (ish) but probably as more of an informed user/developer than coder

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#152 Re: yorkshiregrit.com
October 03, 2014, 10:38:46 am
 :clap2: Nice one. All the best with it.

rich d

• forum hero
#153 Re: yorkshiregrit.com
October 03, 2014, 10:40:59 am
Good luck guys  :thumbsup:. Like many I have no computer skills, but have bumbled up loads of Yorkshire low grades and would be more than happy to start populating a database.
(It looks like I might have to give up on the video of me nearly falling off splashdown as YG has the only copy on it's database.)

Plattsy

• forum hero
#154 Re: yorkshiregrit.com
October 03, 2014, 12:05:47 pm
If you want a hand testing the website let me know. Testing software is what I do for a living.

tomtom

• forum hero
#155 Re: yorkshiregrit.com
October 03, 2014, 12:14:13 pm
Thanks - be really useful to have people to fill in the sections/crags when/if it gets up and running (thats the real donkey work I suspect...). Setting it up in the first place is the toughy now!!

Well I've emailed Gareth (Peakbouldering) to see if he's got any pointers.. anyone any bright ideas of how to do this please let me know!!!!

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#156 Re: yorkshiregrit.com
October 03, 2014, 12:36:27 pm
I will also get in on this, in much the same capacity as others who have no specific technical skill but are active in the region.

I would have thought a suitable wiki format would be best but it would need to be structured so as not to be a complete ball ache to keep neat and tidy. Looked at 27crags this morning and thought it was a bit whack. Not so fused on topos, think problem by problem discussion and photos/video is more important.

Nice one TT

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#157 Re: yorkshiregrit.com
October 03, 2014, 12:40:56 pm
Am happy to provide my strong but baseless opinions re: user interface too, as that's part of what I do for a living.

Will drop you PM with a few ideas / suggestions Tom.

For the record I'd approached Jon on this via DM back when the thread started, but it never came to anything as I gather he wasn't aware of the message. We've since been briefly back and forth on Twitter but in the interim I appear to have bought a house, so any funds I had to offer to Jon have been sucked into that.

Obviously keen to be involved, even if only in capacity of downgrading anything considered "easy for the tall"...

Greg C

• forum hero
#158 Re: yorkshiregrit.com
October 03, 2014, 12:59:03 pm
Good effort lad. Keep motivated.

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#159 Re: yorkshiregrit.com
October 03, 2014, 01:02:45 pm
Tom, as Gareth will probably tell you, the peakbouldering engine could easily do this - it just needs people who are keen to populate the site. Gareth could quite swiftly copy the crags and problems from the archived yorkshiregrit pages, which would save loads of time. We've chatted about this in the past but never got round to doing anything.

tomtom

• forum hero
#160 Re: yorkshiregrit.com
October 03, 2014, 01:52:25 pm
Tom, as Gareth will probably tell you, the peakbouldering engine could easily do this - it just needs people who are keen to populate the site. Gareth could quite swiftly copy the crags and problems from the archived yorkshiregrit pages, which would save loads of time. We've chatted about this in the past but never got round to doing anything.

Nice one. Got to dash (work to do..) but chat later :)

surfchimpster

• regular
#161 Re: yorkshiregrit.com
October 03, 2014, 01:54:13 pm
I'm a front-end web designer so would be willing to the design and html/css side of things, but would still need someone who could build the back end side, database side etc.. cheers matt

andy_e

• forum hero
#162 Re: yorkshiregrit.com
October 03, 2014, 01:59:06 pm
You on facebook Matt? I started a group on there for anyone who may have input into the new site.

surfchimpster

• regular
#163 Re: yorkshiregrit.com
October 03, 2014, 04:11:05 pm
yep i is on the"face book" .. you got a link to it. cheers matey

tomtom

• forum hero
#164 Re: yorkshiregrit.com
October 03, 2014, 05:14:49 pm
Excellent work all. Looks like the ball has started rolling. The tortoise will be proud ;)

rich d

• forum hero
#165 Re: yorkshiregrit.com
October 03, 2014, 06:33:27 pm
Excellent work all. Looks like the ball has started rolling. The tortoise will be proud ;)
it's still asleep in its box.

andy_e

• forum hero
#166 Re: yorkshiregrit.com
October 03, 2014, 06:35:18 pm
yep i is on the"face book"

Are you searchable? There's about a million people bearing your name on Facebook so I can't find you and the group is invite only. Try searching for yorkshiregrit.org.uk or search me out, my profile picture is mainly blue and my cover photo is a black and white geology experiment.

tomtom

• forum hero
#167 Re: yorkshiregrit.com
October 06, 2014, 12:46:13 pm
Hello,

Some progress to report.

A small Cabal/Junta/Group/knitting circle has formed to work on this. At the moment, Gareth (Peakbouldering.info), AndyE, Will Hunt, R-Man and myself seem to be the main protagonists...

Over the weekend Gareth (peakbouldering.info) has put together an outline/draft for yorkshiregrit.org.uk (or yorkshiregrit.info - we have both)... Like the peak version this will have a page for the crag - then sub pages for areas and then the problems etc... Respect to G for doing this so fast... brilliant..

What we need for the next stage (in the coming couple of weeks at a guess) is for volunteers to fill in some of these pages.

This will involve a brief description of the area,
Descriptions of problems, grades, FA's little history - whatevery you like to add a little flavour. But something to make it a bit more interesting than 'pull hard up the blank wall' etc..
Where possible source /add photo's (from your own supply or from t'internet)...
Add video's (ditto above)...

Ideally - one person per crag would be great... though some (Caley springs to mind) could easily be done by two given the volume of the problems...

Any volunteers? Either reply here or DM, I don't mind....

TT (and the rest).

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#168 Re: yorkshiregrit.com
October 06, 2014, 12:51:48 pm
Are you thinking about two sites? Was the idea of a combined site discussed. www.gritstone.info ?

tomtom

• forum hero
#169 Re: yorkshiregrit.com
October 06, 2014, 12:56:21 pm
Are you thinking about two sites? Was the idea of a combined site discussed. www.gritstone.info ?

At the moment it looks like shaping up as two sites - though obviously sister sites/linked...
I'm not 100% sure why - It may just be for development purposes or there may be some sensible coding reasons why.. (these are stabs in the dark! one for Gareth?)

One option was to carry over / allow peakbouldering.info users to use their same login on both... anyone see this as an issue/problem?

tomtom

• forum hero
#170 Re: yorkshiregrit.com
October 06, 2014, 12:56:52 pm
Brimhams just been taken...

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#171 Re: yorkshiregrit.com
October 06, 2014, 01:13:43 pm
One option was to carry over / allow peakbouldering.info users to use their same login on both... anyone see this as an issue/problem?

No. The less the better. Easy to have a landing page with two options for yorks or peak.

Greg C

• forum hero
#172 Re: yorkshiregrit.com
October 06, 2014, 01:14:19 pm
Hello,

Some progress to report.

A small Cabal/Junta/Group/knitting circle has formed to work on this. At the moment, Gareth (Peakbouldering.info), AndyE, Will Hunt, R-Man and myself seem to be the main protagonists...

Over the weekend Gareth (peakbouldering.info) has put together an outline/draft for yorkshiregrit.org.uk (or yorkshiregrit.info - we have both)... Like the peak version this will have a page for the crag - then sub pages for areas and then the problems etc... Respect to G for doing this so fast... brilliant..

What we need for the next stage (in the coming couple of weeks at a guess) is for volunteers to fill in some of these pages.

This will involve a brief description of the area,
Descriptions of problems, grades, FA's little history - whatevery you like to add a little flavour. But something to make it a bit more interesting than 'pull hard up the blank wall' etc..
Where possible source /add photo's (from your own supply or from t'internet)...
Add video's (ditto above)...

Ideally - one person per crag would be great... though some (Caley springs to mind) could easily be done by two given the volume of the problems...

Any volunteers? Either reply here or DM, I don't mind....

TT (and the rest).

I'll do Earl Crag if you want?

;)

tomtom

• forum hero
#173 Re: yorkshiregrit.com
October 06, 2014, 04:23:40 pm
Ok.
earl, Almscliff, Brimham and Shipley have been bagsied.

Looking for the rest - in particular Caley (roadside and crag), Ilkley etc.....

dave

#174 Re: yorkshiregrit.com
October 06, 2014, 05:06:39 pm
I'll do burbage north.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal