UKBouldering.com

yorkshiregrit.com (Read 71426 times)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#125 Re: yorkshiregrit.com
January 23, 2014, 11:09:51 am
No idea of Jon's details, but Francis can be contacted either as Francis Holland, or through Sypeland Climbers Balm on Facebook.

Sypeland

• stalker
    • http://www.climbersbalm.com
#126 Re: yorkshiregrit.com
January 23, 2014, 02:00:03 pm
It's pretty pointless contacting me. I don't have any info other than what you already know.

Yes it's a pity the site has gone but I only contributed photos and video. If Jon wanted to relinquish the site/code then he would have done so by now.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#127 Re: yorkshiregrit.com
January 23, 2014, 03:59:42 pm
Is that based on what Jon has said to you or is it an educated guess?
The reason this is still being discussed is that it still looks like an open question. No one seems to know if Jon is unwilling to sell/give or just hasn’t seen an offer that he likes. It’d be nice to end the speculation and move on, so if you know anything Francis…

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#128 Re: yorkshiregrit.com
January 24, 2014, 01:56:48 pm
I've messaged Jon again, this time with a more specific proposition which I'm hoping might be of interest...

If this falls on deaf ears I will begin graciously slip away into the shadows.

tomtom

• forum hero
#129 Re: yorkshiregrit.com
January 24, 2014, 03:20:05 pm
I've messaged Jon again, this time with a more specific proposition which I'm hoping might be of interest...

If this falls on deaf ears I will begin graciously slip away into the shadows.

Let me know if you need a hand with your proposition!!

surfchimpster

• regular
#130 Re: yorkshiregrit.com
September 19, 2014, 04:15:49 pm
Any news on this from anybody.. Think theres a lot of people missing it including me self  :(

I did remember this website from ages ago and put yorkshiregrit in.. doesnt have all the details on all the boulders but would be a good start if we were to bring her back to life..

waybackmachine

http://web.archive.org/web/20130313070501/http://www.yorkshiregrit.com/almscliff.html

peace... m

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#131 Re: yorkshiregrit.com
September 20, 2014, 12:00:58 am
If somebody slips Jon a few Gs then it's yours.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#132 Re: yorkshiregrit.com
September 20, 2014, 08:48:29 pm
Au contraire it would appear...my efforts to open negotiations were met with total radio silence sadly.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#133 Re: yorkshiregrit.com
September 20, 2014, 09:14:32 pm
Up the offer! Spoke to him at Trollers and I think he's open to offers.
The view is that the site could be made commercial and as such Jon doesn't want it to go for free.

dunnyg

• forum hero
#134 Re: yorkshiregrit.com
September 21, 2014, 04:23:06 pm
You went to trollers? With dave naan ?

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#135 Re: yorkshiregrit.com
September 21, 2014, 08:48:10 pm
Been a few times with Naan and Bizzle.

surfchimpster

• regular
#136 Re: yorkshiregrit.com
September 22, 2014, 01:54:46 pm
Not sure why us brits are'nt into using 27 crags.com looks like rest of the world does, well most ..
I'm not sure why we couldnt use it the same way we used yorkshire grit .. if anything its better, sort of . ITs the content the makes a site as they say. It justs need us yorkshire folk to use it or i'm i missing sumit?

m

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#137 Re: yorkshiregrit.com
September 22, 2014, 02:36:00 pm
It would be nice to salvage the info of YG but the platform is a deadend IMO. Anything which requires such a high level of editing by the site owner everytime any info is added is unsustainable. PB.info is far from perfect but it’s sustainable because it can and does continue to function without continual input from the owner. Any replacement for YG needs to be based around direct user input/editing.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#138 Re: yorkshiregrit.com
September 22, 2014, 08:13:43 pm
The one thing that's for certain is that the current state of affairs cannot go on. Where are we supposed to go for beta and to scope potential projects (OK, aside from UKB and the papery versions).
The only valuable bit of the website is the database of problems, the photos, and perhaps most importantly, the comments. The structure needs a completely new approach. If somebody was willing to do this and make it commercial then it could probably cover the sum that would be right for Jon. However, seeing as yg has now been down for some time and nothing has yet been done, it would seem that there is not the will, savvy, or both to do this.

Jon, if you're reading this, please do not let yg die. You created a tool that got hundreds of people up hundreds of problems. It is amazing!

If the data can be made available then it could be given to someone like 27 crags and they may well be able to take it and convert it to their own format. They'll make a buck out of it, but the data will be hosted without charge to an individual and it will give a proven platform to use, and yg will get to live on. Surely that is a better option than just letting it die?

If the data cannot be made available then we simply need to decide as a community what platform we're going to subscribe to and get on with using it. If people add on problems as they do/attempt them, then coverage will grow to cover the most popular stuff quite quickly.

Greg C

• forum hero
#139 Re: yorkshiregrit.com
October 02, 2014, 12:52:23 pm
Here's a short term solution for you: endeavor to get Alan at UKClimbing to assign all the moderation duties of all relevant crags to one person/group of individuals in the know. They can then mold the various crag pages into a much more useful block of data, i.e. with a common pattern of data entry, more useful information and photos etc. This is what I have been trying to do with the Lakes crags and run along side LB I think it works quite well. I could of course do a better job, but as with all these endeavors it takes mucho time.

I realise many of you will probably start whining about UKC being a for-profit organisation and how you don't want to further their website for no personal gain yourselves, but in light of the fact that despite all the shit people spout about resurrecting YG or something similar no one has yet put their money and effort where their mouth is.  As such maybe it's time people just utilized what's available, whether it's UKC or 27Crags (problem with that is you have little in the way of base info to start with).

PS: Anyone who pays 'A few Gs' for YG is off their tits.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 12:57:36 pm by Greg C »

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#140 Re: yorkshiregrit.com
October 02, 2014, 01:22:06 pm
but in light of the fact that despite all the shit people spout about resurrecting YG or something similar no one has yet put their money and effort where their mouth is. 

We were in touch with JP back along when he was complaining about lack of funds and offered to collaborate but he said he would prefer to let it die a "dignified death" than run our adverts on it... and then later he went and ran a couple of adverts on it.

We are open to supporting Yorkshire Grit Redux or similar if anyone wants to take that project on...

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#141 Re: yorkshiregrit.com
October 02, 2014, 02:15:46 pm
I can't see much dignified in taking it offline and refusing to share the database. Anyone know how much he wants for it?

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#142 Re: yorkshiregrit.com
October 02, 2014, 04:59:30 pm
I can't see much dignified in taking it offline and refusing to share the database. Anyone know how much he wants for it?

Seems like a case of 'its my ball and i won't let you play with it'?
Offers have been made to stump up cash, but he doesn't seem willing to take it?

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#143 Re: yorkshiregrit.com
October 02, 2014, 06:39:35 pm
How much?

Up the offer! Spoke to him at Trollers and I think he's open to offers.

andyd

• forum hero
    • https://vimeo.com/user14959179
#144 Re: yorkshiregrit.com
October 02, 2014, 06:48:08 pm
I've kind of lost the passion for this now. I've gone through the grieving process and I'm OK with just using the guide books, not to mention the explosion in vimeo shorts to gain psyche. The guides are now far better than they were, slightly more accurate with grades, and far more  inspiring. Jon found it a chore to run, not to mention a financial tie. He's not getting involved in the debate. This shouldn't be ignored. I think it's time to let go... :wave:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#145 Re: yorkshiregrit.com
October 03, 2014, 12:44:53 am
If such a niche bouldering site really cost that much to host then he was hosting in the wrong place or using bandwidth unnecessarily. If it took up that much of his time to maintain then the site was poorly designed.

People have expressed interest in continuing the work or buying the database but he's been more than dismissive.

It'd be better starting from scratch and create a site that's easier to maintain and that actually respects it's community rather than one that just leaves all it's contributors high and dry when the sole owner/admin decides to throw a hissy/pull the plug.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#146 Re: yorkshiregrit.com
October 03, 2014, 08:15:14 am
He's not getting involved in the debate. This shouldn't be ignored.
Apart from on twitter and via third parties on here... The mud clear status of the question is a result of mixed messages and no final definitive statement.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#147 Re: yorkshiregrit.com
October 03, 2014, 09:06:48 am
the explosion in vimeo shorts to gain psyche.

Sounds like you are really motivated!

Greg C

• forum hero
#148 Re: yorkshiregrit.com
October 03, 2014, 09:18:14 am
If such a niche bouldering site really cost that much to host then he was hosting in the wrong place or using bandwidth unnecessarily. If it took up that much of his time to maintain then the site was poorly designed.

People have expressed interest in continuing the work or buying the database but he's been more than dismissive.

It'd be better starting from scratch and create a site that's easier to maintain and that actually respects it's community rather than one that just leaves all it's contributors high and dry when the sole owner/admin decides to throw a hissy/pull the plug.

I couldn't agree more with every point you raised here, all of which go hand in hand with Bonjoy's point.

If anyone feels that strongly about having a Yorkshire grit bouldering website then pull your finger out your arse and make a new one. For heavens sake there are tons of active boulderers in Yorkshire, surely some sort of syndicate could be put together to share the work and (minimal) costs involved. Alternatively, as has been suggested use some existing medium to fill the YG.com void. If you can't be arsed with either option then stop going on about how 'someone' should do it as that sentiment is becoming broken record material.

tomtom

• forum hero
#149 Re: yorkshiregrit.com
October 03, 2014, 09:53:37 am
OK.

I've just bought yorkshiregrit.org.uk for the princely sum of £8.50 for two years...

If anyone wants to use it for the replacement site etc... let me know. Happy to donate it... Also happy to be a minorish player in any replacement if anyone interested in forming some sort of consortium etc...

TT

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal