UKBouldering.com

Calling all commuters, I need help!!! (Read 10561 times)

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
so the trial period started yesterday. i woke up at 630 and drove to Florence where i arrived with one hour to spare before work. this could also be an - expensive - option. anyway apart from being unable to write in Italian on the blackboard to the amusement of the students, work went fine. then i went to the gym and it went even better, full sets! so today i woke up at 630 again, a bit hard to be honest but a beastmaker session in 5 minutes should put me on the go...

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
I reckon it's the right decision to move to Siena Lore. You'll soon get used to the early starts and split day early morning / mid afternoon training sessions :)

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
guys I really want you to know that I find your help so encouraging.
I am really into this big decision (I think that I have already taken the decision...), and although I know that it's going to be heard and a great committment, I feel your energy and support.
it's good to know that so many people think the same as I do.

ps crushed the Beastmaker session at 7 am this morning. I felt like a god.

fatkid2000

• junky
Commuting is tough - it feels a waste of time in our busy lives & it's pretty stressful.

I commuted a 2-3 times a week to Hull from Sheffield a few years back for 2 years and hated it. I didn't want to move there as my jobs were temporary and I did not really know where my career was going. Plus I wanted to keep my base in Sheffield & not sell up only to move again.

For the past 5 years I've worked in and around Sheffield - although some of the commutes have been 45mins plus on average.

My next job which could be permanent is 15-20 mins from home in the car (in rush hour) and about 35 on the bike, its location was a huge factor in me applying for it. I can cycle easily and get home for family stuff easily when needed.
Good luck in deciding.
I was brought up in the commuter belt for central London and felt really sorry for my friends who Dads spend hours every day getting to and from London, and not really seeing them.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
My Uncle's brother used to drive 15-20 mins into Swindon and then get the train to Paddington and then a tube journey; did that 5 days a week his whole adult working life. Couldn't have been much fun at all.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Valid points but Nibs will be home way before most of us despite the commute!

seankenny

• forum hero
I used to commute an hour each way in the car and it grew ever more hellish over the three and a half years I did it. Now I do about the same but on the tube and a bit of walking, much more pleasant as I can read, write, listen to music, etc. It still sucks, I'd much rather work nearer home, but I can hack it easily enough. Tbh, getting home by 2.30 with the chance to go bouldering or training would be pretty much heaven... easy life!   :great: You'll soon get used to the bus and the early mornings, which aren't that early. If it was 5am now I could understand your trepidation...

Enjoy your new routine.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
Ive just started a new job in Carlisle and im commuting roughly 45 minutes each way. its testing but ultimately manageable. Looking to relocate there in the winter. Nibs it sounds as though your trip is manageable and worthwhile, all I'm lacking is a pretty women to return to every night  :(

tomtom

• forum hero
Find constructive things to do in the downtime Lore, reading is great, whether it be papers or books. Podcasts are great for things like commutes. I wish I made time to read more in life... Failing that, music and sleep also pass the time well.

My mum taught me yawn tennis on the tube... You start and watch it spread around the carriage on the way home in the eve :)

RAK Punter

• Trusted Users
  • regular
I had a year of commuting into London from Didcott area (3 hours per day).  By train was ok providing I got a seat and could read, sleep or work but I found the times that I was forced to drive an absolute hell.  Driving was a complete waste of my time; the train journey, whilst undesirable, did allow time to do something constructive.

chillax

• forum abuser
I've been commuting 45mins to an hour to and from work for the last 6 months (driving), and I don't find it too bad at all really. Bit expensive in terms of petrol, but worth it to be able to live with my girlfriend in a nice place close to good climbing facilities (hopefully better ones when the Works guys expand their empire!). I find when I drive I arrive in work properly awake, have a chance to get up to speed on the news, and the drive home provides a good buffer so that when I get back I don't give work a second thought. And theres some roadside cragging and bouldering I can pop into on the way home if I fancy it. I think whether you find these things alright or a living hell is largely down to how you approach them.

Good luck with the choice Nibs.

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
ok, given that so many of you contributed, I think I'll update you.
the first part of the experiment is unfolding nicely.
I woke up all this past week at 6.30 and despite commuting only once, Monday, in my car, it gave results: it seems like I can handle the early start with adequate rest, and still be strong in the gym. I have to say that I always went to bed between 9pm (but I'd had a tough day) and 10.30... so I got plenty of sleep. now I have to repeat this for another week to be sure, then in August I'll start to sleep in Siena and get the bus. I have a bit of a walk from the bus stop (oh by the way this is exactly the name of that problem that I crushed at The Pass, in case you didn't know...) so I think I'll get my bike on the bus to sort things out but maybe I won't need it.
it remains to be seen how tough/boring/uncomfy the bus ride is.
I am confident, because in this past week I have done a few Beastmaker sessions at 7am and I felt good during the session and afterwards. I also managed a couple of double sessions, Beast in the morning, weights in the evening. I mean, how tough can a bus ride be, compared to a dead hangs session?
the trick is to keep going during the day, do an early session to be ready for dinner early, then to bed.
until now, I'm very satisfied.
more to come.
thank you all again.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
Glad to hear it  :great:

SA Chris

• forum hero
I mean, how tough can a bus ride be, compared to a dead hangs session?

You can make it tougher if you get a Captain of Crush!

Sounds like its going well.

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
here's another update.
part one of the plan is almost over, the 6,30 start are the routine (sadly in weekends also, dammit) and it seems I infected my girlfriend, she goes to work in the hospital very early as well, so it's lovely to wake up and have breakfast together!!!  :kiss2:
right now I'm commuting with my car because every day after work I go to the Florence house, I pack things up, I load the car and I take everything home in Siena (the house is a complete mess right now).
so from next month I'll start catching the buses and then everything should be difinitive: for sure it's tiring to drive every morning and afternoon, I think the buses will be better!!!
the change of routine hasn't affected my training, even getting home late (ish) at 4 pm, I have plenty of time to have a 25 minutes nap and then kick the shit out of the weights in the gym.
yesterday I took the Beastmaker to its new house.
'nuff said.
thanks again.

rginns

• junky
  • Holds innit
    • Strongholds
Keep the faith Nibs! Sounds like you've made a good decision. I wish getting home at 4pm was late!! :furious:

bobkatebob

• menacing presence
Just worked out how many hours I commute in a week, at least 18 hours and that is with working from home 2 days a week.
As internet conectivity is not good enough on the train, that is 18 hours out of my personal time, though I do get through a lot of books (glad I have a Kindle).
I suppose that is what you get for comutting to a different country. the 10 hour working days on top for the last few months really havn't been good, no wonder my climbing is almost non existant at the moment, but I can see light at the end of the tunnel and a return to 8 hours ish a day.

There again I was doing almost the same number of hours commute and hours working and living near the southern sandstone which to my mind is the worst rock that I have ever climbed on. At least I can enjoy the forest even if it is chilling on a bouldering mat rather than climbing above one  :clap2:

Nibs, it sounds like if you get it right (and you seem to be doing so) you will be able to have your cake and eat it, you will be one of the lucky few.

heelhookofglory

• menacing presence
    • SPC
View the commute time as an opportunity; catch up on reading, download some good podcasts to learn another language.

+1

I used to commute for 2 hrs per day in the car (1hr each way) and I used the time to educate myself with podcasts and audio books. Time well spent -- some would disagree lol.

With your work schedule, I'd go for it. If you were finishing later, 5/6pm then I'd recommend otherwise.

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
thanks again guys.
yes, it seems that it could really work. on good days I can be home probably around 2,30/3 pm, which to be honest is just great.
obviously to do this I had to drop all my afternoon classes, so the amount of money I make, already little, is now... more little.
of course one of the most important things in all this situation is that for once I commute for a job that I love.
years ago I had to do just 20 minutes, but I hated my job and it seemed hell to me.

SA Chris

• forum hero
the amount of money I make, already little, is now... more little.

But surely you will be saving in rent if you and your lass are sharing a place?

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
oh yes!!!
I forgot that!!!
 :dance1:
for sure I didn't move back to Siena just to build my own wall eh.  :whistle:

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#46 Re: Calling all commuters, I need help!!!
September 04, 2011, 06:58:10 pm
my friends, it is Sunday evening and I just finished my first session on the board on small system holds. I could not do two moves in a row.
I'll have a normal dinner finally, then I'll go to bed.
tomorrow morning I'll wake up at 6,30 and I'll cycle to the bus stop, I'll catch the bus and then I'll get down in Florence; I'll walk to school for 20 minutes, then I'll do my best there.
once finished, I'll walk back to the bus stop and I'll catch the 13,40 bus, that will take me home by 15.
maybe I'll take a nap if I haven't slept in the bus, maybe not. I'll eat something and then I'll kill time in my house, reading or listening to music, or playing my bass with the amps at full volume, or trying to convince my girlfriend that she does not need another pair of shoes. then I'll train like a motherfucker.
I really want to thank you all for helping me make my life like this. you really really helped me.
thank you.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal