UKBouldering.com

Freeride/ DH Rigs (Read 2735 times)

chriss

• obsessive maniac
Freeride/ DH Rigs
July 08, 2011, 03:31:40 pm
I'm after a freeride/ DH bike, but not sure what to go for. I currently ride a Stupjumper FRS, which is getting thrashed on the trials & want to keep it for XC only.

I weigh under 10 stone so don't want anything too heavy. Also I won't be using it every week, so don't want to spend a fortune & as I'm no pro having 5k's worth of kit would be a waste.

Any suggestions would be great. Ps If anyone knows of anything for sale get in touch as I'm looking at second hand bikes too.

Cheers.

gingerninja

• menacing presence
#1 Re: Freeride/ DH Rigs
July 08, 2011, 07:27:36 pm
what sort of things will you be using it for? there are loads of good bike out there but some are better for full on dh where as some are more freeride eg jumping and single track. ive had a few stinkys and they have been good. currently on a vp free and its really good but a bit heavy. i tend to use my 2008 trek remedy for most things, it can handle most stuff i throw at it and im a big bloke.

chriss

• obsessive maniac
#2 Re: Freeride/ DH Rigs
July 09, 2011, 11:14:53 am
Ok so I suppose I'm looking for a Freeride bike rather than a full on DH machine.

Will be used on man made trials, Aston Hills is my 'local' spot, twisty single track, jumps, berms, roots- nothing too hairy. Would get out to Morzine too.

Trek has been mentioned to me already, but looks like the bike I already own, correct me if I'm wrong thou. Have looked at the Konas also Specialized Big hit. Ebay seems to have a few bit's at the mo.

gingerninja

• menacing presence
#3 Re: Freeride/ DH Rigs
July 09, 2011, 01:14:12 pm
i would look at something with 6-8in of travel and single crown forks. the trek is really good for the freeride stuff but maybe a little under gunned for the alps, tho i did use mine in spain and was ok. the new scratch air looks pretty good too. big hits are ok but im not a fan of speci, i find them too soft for my liking. as i said ive had a few konas and liked them all.
if i had the money id get a nomad with some lyrics on it. i know a few with them and one mate rides his on the north shore as his dh bike is to much for the up hill to start.
id say post some ideas of what you find and people can let you know what they are like if they have ridden them.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#4 Re: Freeride/ DH Rigs
July 15, 2011, 11:26:27 pm
OK,

biased here... but ginga is right...sooooooo

I have this for sale

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/861041/

and with 2 sets of forks & what you've said on this thread it really is what you need.....

let the other bikers of UKB voice their opinions, as I am biased...

£50 off to you as you are a UKB member.

gingerninja

• menacing presence
#5 Re: Freeride/ DH Rigs
July 16, 2011, 11:21:42 am
if its not too small for you then it would be perfect, more so with the 2 sets of forks.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#6 Re: Freeride/ DH Rigs
July 16, 2011, 11:49:26 am
Fair point.

Top tube variation is the only difference between a small and a medium.

Happy for you to come and have a bounce on it.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#7 Re: Freeride/ DH Rigs
July 16, 2011, 06:31:33 pm
let the other bikers of UKB voice their opinions, as I am biased...
I'm biased too but would just like to point out that Fatdoc's bikes are always mint and very well looked after. You won't go wrong here.

chriss

• obsessive maniac
#8 Re: Freeride/ DH Rigs
July 18, 2011, 06:13:00 pm
Fat Doc, have sent you a PM.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#9 Re: Freeride/ DH Rigs
July 18, 2011, 08:59:57 pm
reply done  dude.

chriss

• obsessive maniac
#10 Re: Freeride/ DH Rigs
August 07, 2011, 06:42:43 pm
Actually got to ride my new rig today down Aston Hills. It's pretty awesome & so different to my xc rig obviously!

Cheers Fat Doc your a legend!

ducko

• junky
#11 Re: Freeride/ DH Rigs
August 08, 2011, 02:01:44 am
i used too ride a lush demo 8 possibly the best freeriude bike ive ever been on! felt a beauty too ride and soaked up big drops (20ft+) really well, obviously with a good set up! the new ones look wicked so id recommend one!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal