UKBouldering.com

steel cables in my forearms (Read 3141 times)

iwasmexican

• obsessive maniac
steel cables in my forearms
August 20, 2011, 11:14:01 pm
not sure if this is the right description of it, but running down my forearms (with the palm facing up) from about halfway down it feels like theres a cable, for lack of a better way to describe it, about a cm or so thick that feels really tough (well tougher than the rest of my forearm), and is somewhat sore to put pressure on, which gets worse after a day of climbing. i try and stretch my forearms as much as i can but it doesnt seem to much other than provide temporary relief. does anyone know what this actually is, or maybe some more arcane forearm stretches than just pulling your palm back etc...?

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#1 Re: steel cables in my forearms
August 21, 2011, 06:03:06 pm
It'll probably be the inter-muscular compartment membranes. I would stretch less often, and don't stretch before climbing.

Some light stretching immediately after climbing should be all you need. Constantly stretching your muscles on rest days doesn't allow them time to relax and repair.

From personal experience (therefore not fact, just an anecdote) I used to have very tight forearms, often got recurring "flexor unit strains" and also had the same issue as you. Stopping stretching 25 times a day and before climbing seemed to help.

Counter-intuitive I know, but it might be worth a shot.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#2 Re: steel cables in my forearms
August 21, 2011, 07:46:41 pm
perhaps you're a cyborg and they are steel cables....

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
#3 Re: steel cables in my forearms
August 21, 2011, 09:07:16 pm

:slap: I always miss the obvious answer, lucky I'm not a Doctor!

tomtom

• forum hero
#4 Re: steel cables in my forearms
August 21, 2011, 10:29:54 pm
Are you an X-man ? ;)

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#5 Re: steel cables in my forearms
August 22, 2011, 08:17:24 am

:slap: I always miss the obvious answer, lucky I'm not a Doctor!

The OP was created by Ben Moon in his secret cybernetics lab underneath Stoney Middleton.  After a hard days mining MoonDust (TM), Ben would retire to his lair and attempt to create the ultimate expression of his climbing philosophy: progress will come not from subtlety or technique, but just how hard you can pull.  ClimbatronX was the result of this: titanium tendons for power; fused ankles to preclude the spineless recourse to footwork.  But, distracted by his labours sewing up Cypher pants, Ben allowed security to lapse.  Now ClimbatronX has escaped; the grit quakes in fear of his power.....

iwasmexican

• obsessive maniac
#6 Re: steel cables in my forearms
August 22, 2011, 11:31:48 am
It'll probably be the inter-muscular compartment membranes. I would stretch less often, and don't stretch before climbing...

...Counter-intuitive I know, but it might be worth a shot.

i injured my wrist a few weeks ago and since then i ve been paranoid about stretching, and it seems to have come up since then, so i will give that a go, cheers

Are you an X-man ? ;)

ah yes sorry i didnt mention that i had my bones replaced with adamantium a few years back  ;)

tomtom

• forum hero
#7 Re: steel cables in my forearms
August 22, 2011, 12:04:08 pm
My Xman power is that I can suddenly reduce the length of my arms and legs making it possible to do all those dwarf problems the shorties make look easy ;) A kind of anti-inspector gadget feature... I have to shout "sgel tegdag og og" to enable.. 

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
#8 Re: steel cables in my forearms
August 22, 2011, 12:49:37 pm
i injured my wrist a few weeks ago and since then i ve been paranoid about stretching, and it seems to have come up since then, so i will give that a go, cheers

A remember one thing a physio said to me was - a lot of sporty people who are keen on traning (particularly weight lifters) attack stretching lie they're trying to deadlift 150kgs!  Stretching should be gentle and only slightly uncomfortable!

Also, if you're stretching for a wrist injury do it with your arm in a position that allows a good range of motion stretch for the wristbut doen't stretch the forearm muslces too much - it's not a forearm injury, it's a wirst injury!

If you have any further problem, speak to Xavier - he should sort you out...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal