UKBouldering.com

Munich (Read 2778 times)

iwasmexican

• obsessive maniac
Munich
August 08, 2011, 10:43:11 pm
so im in munich at the moment and know not a single climber, anyone in the area care to help me out? would love to get away somewhere nearby, and also may have access to a cabin in the zillertal valley...

robertostallioni

• forum hero
#1 Re: Munich
August 08, 2011, 10:48:08 pm
This may work.

"Kommst du mit mir in meine Zillertal Kabine gebummen?"

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#2 Re: Munich
August 09, 2011, 06:45:52 am
I live in Munich but am not much available for getting out in the near future. Already have plans for the long weekend - Oberreintal - then next week my mother in law, niece & nephew arrive to stay with us for the rest of the school hols.

If you fancy a guided tour of the local walls, though, something could be arranged. I'm going to Thalkirchen tomorrow evening. PM me.

Drewski Rootbitch

• addict
#3 Re: Munich
August 09, 2011, 09:02:50 am
Why am I reading this thread with a German accent? :lol:

iwasmexican

• obsessive maniac
#4 Re: Munich
August 09, 2011, 04:38:38 pm
I'm going to Thalkirchen tomorrow evening

what re all the walls like? cause theres thalkirchen, the DAV one and the boulder welt isnt there?

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#5 Re: Munich
August 09, 2011, 05:16:53 pm
what re all the walls like?

Hoo, large question, there are lots.

Thalkirchen: *is* the DAV-owned one. Huge but nevertheless can get very busy in the evening. But, because huge, also quite varied. Good for both routes and bouldering (the old boulder room is better than the new one)
Boulderwelt: good modern bouldering wall
Heaven's Gate: near boulderwelt. Quirky but rather dated & limited. Semi-ok bouldering.
Gilching: also DAV. A little way out of town but reachable by S-Bahn. Smaller than Thalkirchen, laid back. Spectacularly soft grading, so good for an ego boost.
High East: also a bit out of town but right by an S-bahn station. Not that big and gets busy, but generally the best route setting. Limited bouldering.

... and there are other, smaller ones that are really only of interest to locals

all well worth a visit, although I personally don't rate HG

There's also Baierbrunn. Small, rather odd horribly polished conglomerate bouldering area near the river, near an S-Bahn station. Toni Lamprecht likes it, according to an interview I read recently, so there must be more to it than meets the eye

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#6 UKB saves the day
August 15, 2011, 12:05:52 pm
The weekend was looking like a big NNFN. Good weather forecast, free from family duties, psyched for alpine multipitch. And partner indisposed.   :'(

I had pretty much abandoned hope on Friday evening and was deciding whether to solo some long ridge scrambles or go bouldering, when mex called. And a very pleasant weekend we made of it: Saturday roadside multipitch and sport climbing in Otztal; Sunday mountain multipitch in the Kaisergebirge. My partner's first ever time on multipitch routes, as he informed me after the first route - smart lad.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal