UKBouldering.com

arco/lake garda, italy (Read 7135 times)

namnok

• forum abuser
  • John May Lives
arco/lake garda, italy
August 18, 2011, 06:09:43 pm
we've been deliberating holidays for a while but the wife has suggested lake garda, a quick google maps and 1st thing i notice is ARCO! i cant believe that the mrs came up with this idea. i wanst even keen on italy, my choice of hols was font

i assume there's bouldering out there, but as the wife isnt a climber i thought maybe some via ferrata? i've never done it before myself. how hard is it to do, even at the easiest of grades? a quick google had given me some descriptions but no real info on where abouts

tomtom

• forum hero
#1 Re: arco/lake garda, italy
August 18, 2011, 07:05:22 pm
Via Ferrata is piss easy.. And there's tough and easy ones. If MrsNamnok is ok with heights then you'll be fine. Nibs may have some info on Arco?

Tommy

• junky
#2 Re: arco/lake garda, italy
August 18, 2011, 08:21:07 pm
Arco is absolutely brilliant. I've been there many times with my wife and we do a mix of via ferrata, biking and sport climbing.

Via ferrata is pretty simple really and still really enjoyable as a form of "light adventure" - have a look for the trento area guidebook on the net and you'll be sorted.

Our favourite place to stay is http://www.masolizzone.com/eng/default.htm

Not a budget option, but very relaxing and the standards are really high.

tomtom

• forum hero
#3 Re: arco/lake garda, italy
August 18, 2011, 09:14:11 pm
Arco is absolutely brilliant. I've been there many times with my wife and we do a mix of via ferrata, biking and sport climbing.

Via ferrata is pretty simple really and still really enjoyable as a form of "light adventure" - have a look for the trento area guidebook on the net and you'll be sorted.

Our favourite place to stay is http://www.masolizzone.com/eng/default.htm

Not a budget option, but very relaxing and the standards are really high.

ooh, good tip - MrsT would like that.. I could park her by the pool with a book and scoot off... :)

Eddies

• forum hero
#4 Re: arco/lake garda, italy
August 18, 2011, 09:28:28 pm
I stayed at the youth Hostel in Riva when I visited... Riva is amazing and so is Arco.
I recommend the 'El Orca' pub in Riva, and the ice cream parlour in Arco  :P

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#5 Re: arco/lake garda, italy
August 18, 2011, 10:08:39 pm
I was in Arco with the family at Easter, not getting as much sport climbing done as I hoped, and there is some bouldering. It ain't great but it's much better than nothing. Details in this thread.

As others have said, via ferrata isn't technically challenging/interesting for a climber, but can get non-climbers into some exciting situations. There are some that go through great scenery and interesting First World War tunnels above Riva, and Rio Sallagoni is a short but spectacular one through a nice little gorge below the Castello di Drena. Go early in the morning for that one, it gets really busy. Do't bother with the one on Monte Colodri, just behind Arco castle: uninteresting & crowded. (Do get a proper via ferrata set for your wife at least: improvised rigs with slings etc are really, really dangerous if there's any chance the user might actually fall)

namnok

• forum abuser
  • John May Lives
#6 Re: arco/lake garda, italy
August 19, 2011, 11:11:27 am
Rio Sallagoni is a short but spectacular one through a nice little gorge below the Castello di Drena.

looks good...is the airwolf music always on in the background tho? :P

Tommy

• junky
#7 Re: arco/lake garda, italy
August 19, 2011, 12:30:36 pm
I thought that one was good too. I took my family on it once as well on one holiday (they're not really climbers) and they really enjoyed it. Challenging, but not too full on!

mikomon

#8 Re: arco/lake garda, italy
August 19, 2011, 01:39:16 pm
Just back from hols with the family last week. We were in Torbole (on north shore of the lake), 5km-ish from Arco. No climbing (as her ladyship isn't into it) but swanned about, hired bikes, took cable car onto fell tops with da nipper, lay on the lake shore, ate wicked lemon ice cream and drank even wickider red label Peroni. We also went to venice for the day for the full tourist hit which was well worth the money.

Arco area looked fantastic for climbing, (wandered around the town one afternoon) but it was HOT when we were there and i didn't see anyone climbing at all. The routes behind the campsite are alledgedly polished but please don't take my word for itCordee do a via ferrata guide for the area: 'via ferratas of the italian dolomites vol 2'.

All in all, we had a brilliant time, and I'd deffo go back, though I now need to deflate following aforementioned holiday diet...

namnok

• forum abuser
  • John May Lives
#9 Re: arco/lake garda, italy
August 19, 2011, 01:59:32 pm
ooo.venice day trip sounds like something the mrs would definately like...she had a dig when we got off the gondolas at the las vega venitian "we'll just have to go to venice to compare the difference". should ensure me some gold stars on my behaviour chart

where's best to stay on around lake garda? ;D
any hotels? worth hiring a car?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 02:06:49 pm by namnok »

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#10 Re: arco/lake garda, italy
August 19, 2011, 02:04:14 pm

where best to stay on lake garda?

A boat, the bottom of the lake is rather water-logged.  :tease:

mikomon

#11 Re: arco/lake garda, italy
August 19, 2011, 06:05:10 pm
We got a package through Thomas Cook on the basis of cheapness and stayed at the Hotel Holiday in Torbole. There looked to be plenty of accommodation in the town, just make sure whatever you opt for has a.c. We couldn't work ours the 1st night (arrived late, assumed it was broken) and it was uncomfortably hot. Limone seemed quite 'romantic' as a place to stay, Torbole was vibrant with windsurfers, road bikers, etc, Riva del Garda seemed more towny, and the spots down the east side seemed quite busy. The north end definitely has more dramatic scenery, the south is more rolling/flat.

We didn't have a car this trip, again to keep the cost down, and as we had adventures round the lake area we just caught little ferries (the tourist info in Torbole had vouchers which gave us discounted tickets for them and also the cable car at Malcesine) and arsed about on hire bikes. The road round the lake was pretty gridlocked most of the time we saw it. However, if we'd been staying for longer a car would have given us options for walks, etc. further into the Dolomites, and to purchase larger quantities of ice cream and peroni...

namnok

• forum abuser
  • John May Lives
#12 Re: arco/lake garda, italy
August 22, 2011, 11:37:25 am
ok lake garda is still a great possibility, flight and hotel is coming in at about £1k
from what i've heard its not cheap out there but c'est la vie

what about if we did go to font. i've been a few times with the lads but not just the mrs so apart from the palace and discotheque barbizon, is there anything else i can keep her happy enough that she'll let me fall off la marie rose a few more times than necessary

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal