tomtom

• forum hero
#26 Re: Tenerife
June 23, 2016, 09:40:00 am
any tips on care hire in Tenerife?

arriving at South airport, so probably looking to hire from there for 14 days

looking for a 7 seater

cheers

Go on the compare sites - but check ratings. Last year we nearly went with Goldcar (I think) but they had a load of bad ratings, so we went with one of the big companies (as it only cost £1 day more or something). Also big differences in additional driver fees (if thats an issue). There are c.10 companies with on site cars (plenty of choice) and it doesnt seem to have the usual Big 4 on site then the rest are via a bus/meet bloke on a street corner arrangement etc.. If you want any tips on places to eat/visit give me a shout...

SamT

• forum hero
#27 Re: Tenerife
June 23, 2016, 09:46:46 am

We hired an apartment in feb and the owners said they always use Autoreisen.

Arrived very very late (1am) and there was a huge queue at the AutoR desk, with virtually no queue at the other desks.  had to wait about half 20/30 min before getting the car keys (lots of printing of forms for every customer from a very slow printer).
Car was a bit battered, air con didn't really work (not too much of an issue in Feb) but generally fine.  I suspect, given the late hour, they were getting to the bottom of the barrel with the cars (there weren't many left in the car park).

Not to say other companies would have been any different, that was just our experience.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#28 Re: Tenerife
June 23, 2016, 10:02:37 am
cheers

I booked a car with AutoReisen (271 Euros for a Zafira for 14 days) given that it costs nowt to cancel and they do free child seats and additional driver, but had seen the reviews and wondered whether I should consider other options

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#29 Re: Tenerife
June 23, 2016, 10:14:27 am
If you want any tips on places to eat/visit give me a shout...

that'd be cool

we're staying at Chayofa - a few k inland from Los Cristianos

taking my elderly parents as well as our kids - my Dad speaks Spanish and is up for exploring local eateries

hopefully my parents will be up for child minding, so me and Mrs Starfish can get out together in the evening

me and the kids want to see some geology - any top tips?

tomtom

• forum hero
#30 Re: Tenerife
June 23, 2016, 11:20:45 am
TomToms Tenerife guide...

First caveats - we always stay on the North of the Island (Puerto De La Cruz) so some bias there - but I'll try and make things more S. related.

1. Los Cristianos is the Benidorm of Tenerife... if you want to get shit faced in a dentists chair and end up trying to snog some old bint with love and hate tatoo'd accross her knuckles then go for it. Otherwise I'd just avoid.

2. Siam Park (the big water park) is advertised EVERYWHERE. Apparently its great - everyone I know (with family and things) say its great. I'm not a big water slide fan so never been etc..

3. Drive up to the Volcano and look at the Caldera. It IS SPECTACULAR. Tenerife is the second largest active volcano in the world (Hawaii tops it..) and from the sea bed to the top is higher than Mt Everest. If you've never been on an active volcano (its not at the moment but us classified as one) then go. Full on moonscape - crazy lava flows - do it. If you go up there then it will be extra busy at weekends (the locals go up as well). Stop at the Roche de Garcia and walk around looking at the unusual shapes. Don't buy anything at the Hotel opposite the Roches de Garcia as its super expensive (can of Fanta will be 3 Eu etc..) but use their bogs if need be :) Don't bother with the cable car to the top - unless you're feeling flush - as its good, but maybe not that good. The drive up there from the South is windy but quickest from where you are. Worth carrying through the caldera and carrying along towards the observatory (cheaper eateries once you're past the cable car at El Portillo Alto - but still a rip off compared to normal)... this link may or may not work. https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/28.3154735,-16.4977075/Calle+Laurel,+19,+38627+La+Camella,+Santa+Cruz+de+Tenerife,+Spain/@28.2074448,-16.6631937,11.28z/data=!4m14!4m13!1m5!3m4!1m2!1d-16.6608819!2d28.2128907!3s0xc6a84bf35e6f1bd:0xf71f732588b458be!1m5!1m1!1s0xc6a99a1edddc88d:0x82318fa87e0fe19!2m2!1d-16.6813499!2d28.07951!3e0?hl=en

4. Los Gigantes and dolphin watching boat trip. NW of the island (40 min from you) is Los Gigantes - small ish town next to some big cliffs (part of the Geologically older part of the island that has eroded back to leave spectacular cliff etc.. If taking the whole family - oldies and those not wanting to partake can be parked on the (small but OK) beach/harbourside cafes - and go on one of the Dolphin/whale watching cruises offered from there. Price c.20Eu each - can be more can be less depending on how long you go for - some offer some food and a beer included.

4b. Los GIgantes and Masca walk.. this is spectacular - Google for more, but get a cab from Los Gigantes up to Masca (c.1500m high) then you walk down a well trodden path, through a very deep gorge and emerge at the coast. Where you have to be picked up by a boat. Taxi c.10 eu, boat c.10eu pp. takes 4 hours. Probably not for all family/little ones, but if you're feeling game....

5. Anywhere along the south coast between the airport and Santa Cruz... pick a small village/town off the map, get off the motorway, head down to it, follow your nose or trip-advisor and find a great (normally very cheap) eatery by the sea. Lots of them, nearly always fantastic fresh seafood. Often the dodgier (less touristy looking) the better!

6. Don't bother with the Pyramids place - its shit.

7. Santa Cruz - capital city - is a large city - and has city stuff. Are you in Tenerife for that?

8. The north of the island is probably a bit of a schlep from where you are -  but if you want more spots along that side then ask. Basically, the NW and NE corners (and the SW where you're staying, but most if it has eroded away) of the island are 5-8 million years older than the middle bit - so they tend to have deeper valleys, rockier coastlines - look a bit more like a set from Lost. The North/NE of the island gets much more rainfall (and precipitation from daily mist) so is much greener and lusher than the barren dry SW where you are staying.

9. Puerto de la Cruz (where we stay normally) in the N is good - older, more colonial style buildings - nice market square etc.. will be cooler, maybe cloudy. It also contains Loro Park (Tenerifes other massively advertised tourist attraction) which is a park/aquarium with loads of birds, penguins and stuff. I've not been, but people say its decent. Maybe something to do if you're up that way... though will probably cost $$.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#31 Re: Tenerife
June 23, 2016, 11:56:31 am
Los Gigantes, Masca walk - or just the drive around the loop, and Teide (the volcano) are great. I avoided the Los Cristianos area ("Playa de vomit" - habrich) so can't comment on that.

my Dad speaks Spanish and is up for exploring local eateries

Cumbres de abona in Cruz de Tea. Strictly for carnivores (the rabbit was reportedly very good) so I can't say much about the food from personal experience but the rest of the team were happy. It had an unpretentious family and friendly locals atmosphere. Not close to where you'll be but not so far from the route to Teide. 

honroid

• addict
#32 Re: Tenerife
June 24, 2016, 08:19:42 am
This is all really good stuff! Thanks for the topo and extended information. The guys at Roxtar.es clmibing shop kindly sent over some topos too so if anyone wants a copy PM me?
The wife and I have now decided on a Christmas in Albarracín combined with a Barcelona mini-break. With a 6 month old this should be pretty do-able, so gonna leave Tenerife for this year. Looks like a really good family option for the future though!

sidewinder

• obsessive maniac
#33 Re: Tenerife
August 03, 2016, 07:16:14 pm
Looking to go over Christmas/new year, any recommendations for the best place to stay for climbing, somewhere on the south side of the island?

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#34 Re: Tenerife
August 05, 2016, 09:47:08 pm
Looking to go over Christmas/new year, any recommendations for the best place to stay for climbing, somewhere on the south side of the island?

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

We're just coming to the end of our holiday here

http://www.chayofacountryclub.co.uk/

ace place - apartments are bigger than average and have sofa beds in the living area - sleeping 6 climbers in a 2 bed apt is realistic

double beds are mostly two twins pushed/locked together, so can be separated for purely climbing partnerships

reception staff are very helpful

small convenience store on site - better priced supermarket a mile up the road

main pool is heated

quiet, chilled vibe

handy for the motorway

Clart

• obsessive maniac
  • Safe as f*ck
#35 Re: Tenerife
December 23, 2016, 03:16:38 pm
This a good vid of bouldering on Tenerife:

Personally I think the climbing is more impressive, but I think that with all venues.

tomtom

• forum hero

xelaxela

• regular
  • Alex
#37 Re: Tenerife
May 16, 2019, 11:46:12 am
Magnus Midtbø has just done a short series of his vlogs in Tenerife including both Climbing and Bouldering that are worth a look

tomtom

• forum hero
#38 Re: Tenerife
May 23, 2019, 08:00:10 am
New Tenerife guide out

https://m.facebook.com/tenerifeoutdoor/posts/2183619321727308?refsrc=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2F

If that link doesn’t work it’s on tenerifeoutdoors.com

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#39 Re: Tenerife
June 29, 2022, 08:21:39 am
After much discussion we are off to Tenerife next week, staying in Costa Adeje, so a short run to the surf beaches where I expect I will get to fight with locals over waves.

Thinking about hiring a car for a few days and exploring, maybe climb a bit, will it be too hot to boulder? I have no desire for massive grades, happy to punt about on fun stuff, grades easy to mid 6es if I can find some shade and hire a pad. Otherwise is it worth taking a 50m rope, harnesses and a handful of quickdraws, again nothing too ambitious, just get a rope on some easy sport that the family can have a play on on toprope too.

There looks to be a bit of DWS at Montana Amarilla that looks fun, and a nice spot to chill out if the sea gets calm enough, has anyone been on it?

Thanks

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal