UKBouldering.com

Tenerife (Read 14419 times)

LucyB

• Trusted Users
  • obsessive maniac
Tenerife
August 12, 2011, 08:17:01 pm
So, we're off to Tenerife, staying at Guia de Isora in a very nice hotel (yes, Dolly, it is a chain  :whistle:).

We're not hiring a car, the big lad is taking his road bike and we have the little ones in creche every morning  :great:

Am I anywhere near the bouldering? Is it worth taking my boots?

tomtom

• forum hero
#1 Re: Tenerife
August 12, 2011, 09:02:13 pm
Have a look on the UKC guides/map thingy? Theres some climbing, but not a huge amount...

We take 30 students to Tenerife every spring so been around most of the island but not in a climbing capacity (sadly).

If you want to explore some, busses are pretty good around Tenerife too (not too many roads so its fairly simple). It'd be worth heading to los Gigantes from where you are (20min N on the bus) as the cliffs are pretty spectacular. In fact theres a great walk down a gorge to the coast in that corner where you have to be picked up by boat :) but that may be a bit much with little ones etc.. 
A trip/coach trip up to the Caldera is pretty special too - (it will be full of other tourists but is spectacular). If you want any more info about the area etc.,., let me know..

LucyB

• Trusted Users
  • obsessive maniac
#2 Re: Tenerife
August 13, 2011, 11:45:04 am
Sounds lovely, thanks for that. I may just enjoy it without my boots (though they won't take up that much space...). First non-climbing holiday since 2002!

webbo

• forum hero
#3 Re: Tenerife
August 13, 2011, 04:56:41 pm
There is quite a lot of bouldering Arico and Arico Nuevo plus some stuff on the north and there is an area up by the volcano.John watson of the Scotish bouldering guides did a little mini guide and there used to be a Tenerife bouldering web site run by a guy named Walter.Font Neil knows quite a bit about the climbing there as I think he used to live out there.

tomtom

• forum hero
#4 Re: Tenerife
August 13, 2011, 05:18:16 pm
There is a guide - that I found in a bookshop in Puerto in April.. a good one too (as in well put together not a few scraps of A4 etc..)..

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#5 Re: Tenerife
April 12, 2016, 07:05:39 am

tomtom

• forum hero
#6 Re: Tenerife
April 12, 2016, 08:28:24 am

Warning: For those offended by extensive 'drive to the crag' - 'what we did on the rest days' - 'atmospheric shots of stuff' - 'hazy into the sun pics of people lazing on bouldering mats' - I'd be prepared to get busy with the fast forward slider.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#7 Re: Tenerife
April 12, 2016, 11:18:26 am
I'd be prepared to get busy with the fast forward slider.

Climbing:

1:20-2:23
2:43-4:27
5:52-8:18
8:37-10:55
11:11-13:14

I think it's safe to say that the filmmaker is more inspired to shoot non-climbing stuff...
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 11:44:10 am by cheque »

Ti_pin_man

• obsessive maniac
  • sometimes you see things & curse, damnit no gun
#8 Re: Tenerife
April 12, 2016, 12:27:39 pm
Have a look on the UKC guides/map thingy? Theres some climbing, but not a huge amount...

We take 30 students to Tenerife every spring so been around most of the island but not in a climbing capacity (sadly).

If you want to explore some, busses are pretty good around Tenerife too (not too many roads so its fairly simple). It'd be worth heading to los Gigantes from where you are (20min N on the bus) as the cliffs are pretty spectacular. In fact theres a great walk down a gorge to the coast in that corner where you have to be picked up by boat :) but that may be a bit much with little ones etc.. 
A trip/coach trip up to the Caldera is pretty special too - (it will be full of other tourists but is spectacular). If you want any more info about the area etc.,., let me know..

The Masca gorge down to los gigantes is fun but if you do the full walk its not for little ones.  Its fun and has lots to climb over but its not a stroll and I wouldn't take the kids.  I was dumb enough to think it might be bikeable, its not but the adventure was fun. 

Duma

• forum hero
#9 Re: Tenerife
April 12, 2016, 12:39:24 pm

I'd be prepared to get busy with the fast forward slider.

Climbing:

1:20-2:23
2:43-4:27
5:52-8:18
8:37-10:55
11:11-13:14

I think it's safe to say that the filmmaker is more inspired to shoot non-climbing stuff...

So almost ten minutes of climbing in a 13 and a bit minute video. Not bad I think. You miserable cunts [emoji6] . Intro was alright, nothing i noticed. Apart from that it was just the middle cut that was a bit long. You come from a different perspective obviously, but I think it's worth remembering that most folk are there to climb and enjoy the holiday first, and filming it a distant third or forth. If that was my film I'd want a momento of the whole holiday, and I guess it does that very well.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#10 Re: Tenerife
April 12, 2016, 02:13:38 pm
So almost ten minutes of climbing in a 13 and a bit minute video. Not bad I think. You miserable cunts [emoji6] .

:lol: Yeah, I probably came across more miserable than I am about that video. I recorded the timings as I was curious about TomTom's comment and thought I might as well post them.

The non-climbing bits of it are really well done.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#11 Re: Tenerife
April 12, 2016, 02:20:50 pm
I met Mario and Tanya in Font at Rocher Fin. He asked me where I was from and I mentioned Yorkshire. He immediately said:
"Do you know Dan Turner? Do you know This Is Yorkshire? When I see this film I know I must climb in Yorkshire".

He went to the Peak last year and wants to come to Yorkshire this year. We had some good craic at the crag and he and his buddies were great to climb with. I really hope he comes to climb in Yorkshire.

So he and Tanya are lovely and you all ought to be ashamed of yourselves. If you haven't got anything nice to say then say nothing at all  ;)

tomtom

• forum hero
#12 Re: Tenerife
April 12, 2016, 03:34:08 pm
its all see saws innit..

andy_e

• forum hero
#13 Re: Tenerife
April 12, 2016, 10:14:41 pm
Tenerife is pretty much exactly half-way between us and the equator, so I wouldn't say it was close to the equator at all...

tomtom

• forum hero
#14 Re: Tenerife
April 12, 2016, 10:23:49 pm
Plus the Mirador hotel where you were stuck is about 2100m up... Nowadays it's very expensive and is often the base for posh tourists and teams/sports folk doing altitude training - team Sky are there regularly etc...

When we were there last month the Caldera had been closed off for 10 days due to the heaviest snowfall in c.20 years.

It doesn't have permanent snow on the top though (the top is 3800m). I think the places with permanent snow cover closest to the equator are Mts Kili and Kenya.

andy popp

• forum hero
#15 Re: Tenerife
April 13, 2016, 08:59:56 pm
James Squire has just been to Lanzarote (yes, I know its not Tenerife) and did this 8A+/B FA - might as well post it here.

tomtom

• forum hero
#16 Re: Tenerife
April 13, 2016, 09:09:39 pm
Googling tenerife bouldering comes up with a slightly oddly produced selection of climbing videos...

honroid

• addict
#17 Re: Tenerife
June 18, 2016, 04:34:19 pm
There is a guide - that I found in a bookshop in Puerto in April.. a good one too (as in well put together not a few scraps of A4 etc..)..

Morning all. We're looking for sunshine over the Christmas break with the in-laws and our 6 month old baby. We're looking for winter sun with the opportunity to boulder and we keep coming back to Tenerife as a good compromise... Greece and the Med (Sardinia, Corsica, Mallorca) looks a little soggy and cold for the in-laws, the Algarve looks good but from a bouldering perspective not so good...

From reading a few conversations on here it looks like the bouldering is good on Tenerife but I'm struggling to find a topo. Is this topo you mention here from Puerto de la Cruz Tomtom?

webbo

• forum hero
#18 Re: Tenerife
June 18, 2016, 04:47:14 pm
I have some old topos. PM your address and I will send you a copy.

tomtom

• forum hero
#19 Re: Tenerife
June 18, 2016, 05:01:53 pm
It's a chuffing and bouldering guide. Not too much bouldering mentioned but there is lots more in the areas they describe (I inderstans). There's also a climbing house/hostel (like the Orange house etc..) on the S side of the island - (I think) it's called roxtar and they do pad rental and such stuff and probably know far more about he areas. I'm a liker of their Facebook page so get the odd dribble of info there....

In winter you can probably snaffle up a cheap all Inc on the south side of the island and rent a car etc...

But look to book early as with the demise of Egypt, Tunisia and partly Turkey as resorts it was packed this spring. (We go every year with work at Easter time).

tomtom

• forum hero
#20 Re: Tenerife
June 18, 2016, 05:11:13 pm

Iirc Arico is where the main bouldering is. The bolt clipping looks good too - lots of shortish single pitch stuff...

tomtom

• forum hero
#21 Re: Tenerife
June 18, 2016, 05:13:54 pm
Btw - the guide was quite pricey (40 euros?)...

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#22 Re: Tenerife
June 18, 2016, 09:03:20 pm
Tenerife sport climbing is decent without being outstanding. The bouldering I saw in the Arico gorge looks to be similar. I've been twice over Christmas and the weather was excellent for a relaxed holiday the entire three weeks, occasionally too warm for ideal bouldering.

Roxtar are a shop and have started offering accommodation in Arico. Rasclat Tenerife (also in Arico) are another accommodation option, at the laid-back end of the scale. There is plenty of general holiday accommodation available, but much of it concentrated in the Playa de la Americas area, a generic Spanish resort with all that that entails. We stayed in Grenadilla, a very quiet country town, fairly close to the climbing.

As Tom said, it's not as cheap as the Med. to get to or to stay so don't leave it too long.

webbo

• forum hero
#23 Re: Tenerife
June 18, 2016, 09:16:05 pm
I've bouldered at Arico and Arico neuvo. There are class problems but it's not Font. I went at Easter and it was well in the 20s but it's not humid so it's fairly pleasant. It's not a bad place to combine a family holiday and a bouldering trip.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#24 Re: Tenerife
June 19, 2016, 09:51:55 am
found this

which may be of help to someone

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal