UKBouldering.com

Climbing / Bouldering / Anything around San Diego (Read 2767 times)

205Chris

• forum hero
It looks like I might have the option with work of spending 3-4 months in San Diego early next year. While it's probably a fantastic career opportunity I'm far more interested in any climbing potential (unless my boss happens to be reading this in which case it's all about the work - honest).

Unfortunately because of work I'll be limited to evenings / weekends rather than a massive roadtrip. Some quick internet searching suggests there's a couple of indoor gyms nearby that should keep me occupied midweek but does anyone have any experience of any local crags that would be in striking distance for a weekend. I'm hoping I'll have access to a car as well to make life easier.

Also, given that it'll probably be just me going and I'll be living out of a hotel room are there any attractions other than climbing that are worth checking out to stop me going crazy?

al123

• menacing presence
whatever you do, be sure to stay classy....

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Joshua Tree is an easy weekend trip, about 3 hours drive.  Best season is Feb-April (or October-Dec.).  Granite, beautiful area, great single pitch trad., some good bouldering, a little hard-ish sport and a traditional venue for Los Angelinos to go wild in the desert.  The main local areas is Mt Woodson, a pile of granite boulders, which has some very trad. crack-climbing and some bouldering.  There are lots of other smaller local cragging and bouldering areas, mostly granite.  You could do a whole lot worse.

<edit> There is also the granite trad. at Idyllwild, Tahquitz and Suicide Rocks, about 2 hours drive, but this is in condition later in the year so not sure if this will be suitable for when you'll be there.

Bishop and Las Vegas - Red Rocks - are rather further (5-6 hours drive) but not impossible for a long weekend.  World-class bouldering and great trad. / good sport / limited bouldering respectively.

I've only spent 4 days in San Diego and it seemed pleasant but a little dull ... perhaps I missed the interesting bits.   
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 10:30:20 pm by duncan »

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
I've found Mountain Project to be a good source for info.

http://www.mountainproject.com/v/san-diego-county/105790243

There is a guidebook for bouldering in Southern California, can probably grab it at REI, or local climbing shop when you get there.

As for non-climbing stuff, the surf is meant to be good? :) also go see Shamu the Killer Whale if he's still alive.

ben

• obsessive maniac
There's plenty of rock around to keep you entertained, some online guides here >
http://members.cox.net/sandiegorock/

We ended up spending an enforced few days in SD enroute to J Tree after British Airways lost some of our luggage (fortunately the clothes sac not the climbing gear sac).  Had a good couple of days at Mt. Woodson nearby which was a good local spot and I think there's plenty more like it

or as Chris says - go surfing...

205Chris

• forum hero
Good knowledge, cheers all.

Although it's still to be sorted for definite the chances are I'll be going some time early in the new year (Jan - Apr time) so Joshua Tree looks a good bet for weekend trips, I might see if work will let me tag a couple of weeks leave onto the tail end of my trip so I can get further up the west coast to Bishop etc.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
That time of the year you could also do weekend trips for skiing / snowboarding if you fancy. Some of the closer ones are a bit small, but anywhere is good after a good dump of snow! Mammoth had an unbelievable amount last winter.

http://www.onthesnow.co.uk/southern-california/skireport.html

jmews

• regular
I live in Riverside county, North East of San Diego. While most of the good/classic venues are listed above, there is also some chossy/dirty/urban cesspit rock accessible in the San Diego/L.A./Inland Empire areas.

Bishop is not too far for a weekend trip - just know that the freeways will be horrible heading to the mountains on a Friday night.

San Diego has plenty to do. Some great craft breweries, surfing and the beach, perfect weather; it is not somewhere that it is easy to get bored.

Vital climbing gym in Carlsbad offers 24/7 members access. I have never been, but I like the concept.

- Malibu Canyon/Echo Cliffs for sport
- There is some urban bouldering in L.A. - not sure exactly where
- San Diego county has some less developed areas - check supertopo for threads
- Riverside has bouldering at Mt. Rubidoux (John Bachar trained there), and sport climbing at Riverside quarry (haven't been - it is meant to be very loose, so wear a helmet)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal