UKBouldering.com

4-week to Font build up (Read 6675 times)

T_B

• forum hero
4-week to Font build up
August 09, 2011, 03:04:57 pm
Surely many people have this conundrum? You're bumping along, keeping your hand in etc and realise it's 4 weeks until your bouldering trip and maybe you should do some 'proper' training? This year we're going to Font. Having been there many times before, I am partly thinking that 'training' will be pretty pointless. After all, Font is all about technique, tricks, conditions and not thrashing yourself. It will be September, so it's gonna be pretty warm. I'm keen to check out some more obscure areas that are often damp in winter (e.g. Rocher Greau?)

Anyhow, I don't have much time at the mo to train (4 month old baby) so it's not like I can do tons of volume. My ace in the hole is that I work approximately 25 metres from the Foundry. Any ideas for a useful build up, or have I already left it too late? Am thinking as much volume/variety as possible (though fairly restricted at the Foundry). Or maybe I should just deadhang for 3 weeks? Do on-the-minutes? Or go on a crash diet and not worry about training?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1 Re: 4-week to Font build up
August 09, 2011, 04:04:40 pm
Don't neglect working on your pastry capacity. Many a font trip has gone disastrously wrong when people struggle to finish more than a couple of delicacies a day and run out of steam by mid afternoon.

T_B

• forum hero
#2 Re: 4-week to Font build up
August 09, 2011, 04:10:15 pm
I've never had a problem handling my share of pastries TBH  ;D

rodma

• forum hero
#3 Re: 4-week to Font build up
August 09, 2011, 04:28:16 pm
Or maybe I should just deadhang for 3 weeks? Do on-the-minutes? Or go on a crash diet and not worry about training?

Campus board and food poisoning combo. Best pre-trip conditioning ever.

T_B

• forum hero
#4 Re: 4-week to Font build up
August 09, 2011, 04:30:36 pm
Thanks. Getting some really helpful replies here  :look:

ianto9

• player
#5 Re: 4-week to Font build up
August 09, 2011, 04:51:01 pm
I'm at the same piont,font in 4 weeks,but nursing an injured finger. I'm taking it slow just one pain du chocolate in the morning followed by rest,a quick lie down on a boulder nothing to hard then one or two small bottles of beer.Its going really well.

rodma

• forum hero
#6 Re: 4-week to Font build up
August 10, 2011, 08:53:18 am

hit the campus board and finger board for a tune up  :weakbench:

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#7 Re: 4-week to Font build up
August 10, 2011, 01:34:55 pm

Apart from the beastmaker innovations I suspect old skool power and strength training is still the way to go. I suspect advances in bouldering are less do with advances in training and more down to more participants, more problems and better indoor facilties. If wrong I would love to hear different.

T_B

• forum hero
#8 Re: 4-week to Font build up
August 10, 2011, 01:44:58 pm
OK, I'll try the obvious thing that I've never really done before and get on the fingerboard. Oh joy  :blink:

Paul B

• forum hero
#9 Re: 4-week to Font build up
August 10, 2011, 02:03:44 pm
I'm not so certain a (first time) fingerboard 4 weeks before a Font trip is ideal, gains seem to come remarkably fast, a lot faster than increased blood flow.

I did exactly this before going to Albarracin and from a lack of open strength (as in I could one arm BM crimps but not hang a campus rung open) I improved rapidly to playing with back 2. At the Tor I was playing on Rattle and Hump the powerful way, caught the crimps open handed and carried on amazed, only to find my hand somewhat claw like on the return to the floor which turned out to be my worst finger injury to date.

Surely knee-jerk intensive training before a holiday is a recipe for disaster where bouldering is concerned?

Rocher Greau has quite a few steep problems, and (IMO) climbs a lot differently to other areas in Font so I'm sure the wave will sort you out, that is unless you're after the highball slabby things that I avoid every time I visit  :shrug:

T_B

• forum hero
#10 Re: 4-week to Font build up
August 10, 2011, 02:32:33 pm

Surely knee-jerk intensive training before a holiday is a recipe for disaster where bouldering is concerned?

Oh dear, maybe you're right. I was just thinking how my niggly finger strains have all disappeared. Perhaps I should just tick along and head for the highball slabs!

yorkshireman

• obsessive maniac
  • dont knock the rock if you're shaky at the grade
#11 Re: 4-week to Font build up
August 10, 2011, 02:35:44 pm
my advice is dont go to almscliff 3 weeks before and de-glove one of your fingers on demon wall left hand :whistle:

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
#12 Re: 4-week to Font build up
August 10, 2011, 03:20:23 pm
I'd do just volume sessions and build fitness to be able to do lots of problems just below your limit and maybe a session a week working harder things. Probably not worth risking injury just before a trip trying to overload on fingerboard/campus rungs this close to the trip?

SA Chris

• forum hero
#13 Re: 4-week to Font build up
August 10, 2011, 04:09:32 pm
Do a skin maintenance rotine beforehand. Tip skin is always my limiting factor on a font trip.

lukeyboy

• forum abuser
#14 Re: 4-week to Font build up
August 10, 2011, 06:03:26 pm
Other than climbing training, I'd get a lot of press ups done to ward off the inevitable font elbow

SA Chris

• forum hero
#15 Re: 4-week to Font build up
August 10, 2011, 07:48:28 pm
Good call. And some tricep work for sloping mantle topouts.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#16 Re: 4-week to Font build up
August 10, 2011, 07:53:51 pm
Perhaps I should just tick along and head for the highball slabs!

Sounds amazing! Don't miss Calamity Jane if you do - obscure E4/5 6c and totally brilliant.

ducko

• junky
#17 Re: 4-week to Font build up
August 10, 2011, 07:58:08 pm
personally id do lots of open hand work nothing too intense too avoid injuries and work on stamina so you can make the most of your time there!

T_B

• forum hero
#18 Re: 4-week to Font build up
August 11, 2011, 07:11:22 am
I'd do just volume sessions and build fitness to be able to do lots of problems just below your limit and maybe a session a week working harder things.

Yeah, that's good advice I reckon. Kind of what I was hoping for from this thread. I hadn't thought about that, but due to having been doing very little recently except keep my hand in, I can easily see my session fitness being poor. I need my lunch time hour of pow to be lots and lots of vol.

Also - lukeyboy - good knowledge on the elbows. Especially when you combine Font slopey top outs with walking around with a small child under one arm. Potentially a recipe for disaster. I was getting into doing plank (pilates) quite a bit a while ago, which I think is also good, though more so for shoulder instability...

T_B

• forum hero
#19 Re: 4-week to Font build up
August 11, 2011, 07:20:48 am
Perhaps I should just tick along and head for the highball slabs!

Sounds amazing! Don't miss Calamity Jane if you do - obscure E4/5 6c and totally brilliant.

Looks good. And I see there's a 7a+ dyno there too (le Danseur).

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#20 Re: 4-week to Font build up
August 11, 2011, 08:18:58 am
Yeah, that's well worth doing, its like a smaller version of Deliverance.

dave

#21 Re: 4-week to Font build up
August 11, 2011, 08:49:02 am
Danseur is good, much easier than deliv. Another good semi-dynoesque one at that crag is Basta:

T_B

• forum hero
#22 Re: 4-week to Font build up
August 12, 2011, 09:18:14 am
Looks good. And shady.

ghisino

• forum abuser
#23 Re: 4-week to Font build up
August 12, 2011, 10:21:33 am
Other than climbing training, I'd get a lot of press ups done to ward off the inevitable font elbow

+1
plus triceps and pec machine, at least if you're not already very strong in your big muscles.

being strong in those areas seems to make things a lot easier as it allows you to bourriner your way up stuff...

just don't overdoit and go easy on your last week

Rocksteady

• forum abuser
  • Crank
  • Hotter than the sun!
#24 Re: 4-week to Font build up
August 12, 2011, 02:48:07 pm
Yeah I think the above advice is good - up your volume so that you can climb more over your trip, do prehab exercises for your elbows etc so you can climb more over your trip, get your skin in good condition so you can climb more over your trip!

For me 4 weeks probably wouldn't be enough to make any real strength gains that would transfer to climbing a harder grade when away. But since you haven't been training much it might work for you - though as above there is the associated injury risk...

Good luck and have fun whatever you decide!

dontfollowme

• Trusted Users
  • junky
#25 Re: 4-week to Font build up
August 12, 2011, 11:34:51 pm
How long in advance would be enough to make strength gains?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal