UKBouldering.com

how much protein should I take? (Read 5606 times)

scottygillery

• player
how much protein should I take?
July 27, 2011, 12:20:58 pm
 :wub: After my hour of power how much protein shoudl I take? should it be in the form of tuna, guiness or XXXXs recovery shake?

tah,

Gill

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#1 Re: how much protein should I take?
July 27, 2011, 12:52:31 pm
2 boiled eggs and a peanut butter and jam sandwich should do it.

douglas

• obsessive maniac
#2 Re: how much protein should I take?
July 27, 2011, 02:25:12 pm
:wub: After my hour of power how much protein shoudl I take? should it be in the form of tuna, guiness or XXXXs recovery shake?

tah,

Gill

Depends what sort of training you actually do and how much you have in your usual diet. You might not need any at all. This is a bit tedious but add up all the protein you intake in your normal day. I think 1.5g per kilo of body weight is required for an athlete so if you're under that consider extra either by milk, eggs, tuna, peanut butter or powder etc.

Big Dave

• menacing presence
#3 Re: how much protein should I take?
July 27, 2011, 03:42:48 pm
 :agree:

It's more important to make sure on a good amount of daily protein intake.

Recovery shakes are good after training as usually a blend of fast carbs and whey isolate, which would digest faster than tuna/eggs/milk etc.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#4 Re: how much protein should I take?
July 28, 2011, 10:54:02 pm

:sick:
that sounds like a revolting sandwich. I think i might stick with ham. Or did you mean seperately? ;)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#5 Re: how much protein should I take?
July 29, 2011, 08:54:34 am
Swallow it all you bitch.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#6 Re: how much protein should I take?
July 29, 2011, 09:01:31 am

:sick:
that sounds like a revolting sandwich. I think i might stick with ham. Or did you mean seperately? ;)

I'm afraid its together - the "peanut butter and jelly sandwich" is an American classic (I'd be surprised if there weren't loads of PB&J facebook pages / fansites).  I noticed it got a mention in the US version of The Killing last night - kids having them for lunch was used as dramatic shorthand for their mother's breakdown and failure as a parent (the male equivalent being growing stubble or drinking whisky!). 

A few nights ago, feeling both hungry and experimental,  I made one for the first time.  It was surprisingly really nice (I had mine with hedgerow conserve on toasted bread).  The flavours went well together and the jam seems to prevent the  peanut butter from sticking to the roof of the mouth as much as usual.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#7 Re: how much protein should I take?
July 29, 2011, 09:20:46 am
I'm afraid its together - the "peanut butter and jelly sandwich" is an American classic

::) yeah.... i knew that i was just deliberately misinterpreting Simon's helpful advice as being to stick the boiled eggs into the PBJ. Or have you tried that too?  :o

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#8 Re: how much protein should I take?
July 29, 2011, 09:47:38 am
eggs and jam and peanut butter.... crazy talk!  I figured trying a PB&J was enough of a blow against all standards of taste and decency.  Besides, I've heard of another odd-sounding taste sensation to try out next time I'm hit by the suppertime "starves": bitter seville marmelade on toast with a thin layer of cheddar and black pepper grilled on top.

scottygillery

• player
#9 Re: how much protein should I take?
July 29, 2011, 10:45:52 am
so I'm having a PBJ already 2 hours before my HoPower, should I also have one after too?

Is a PBJ for lunch breakfast dinner too much?

how much is too much?

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#10 Re: how much protein should I take?
July 29, 2011, 11:33:45 am
Don't stress about it. The muscle groups that are being taxed aren't large enough to require ingesting huge quantities of protein. The body isnt great at storing protein and if you take loads the excess will be flushed away or converted to fat. The key is to have a mix of carbs and protein after you finish. The combination is good for uptake and the carbs replenish your glycogen energy store. The body is adept at synthesizing what it needs though the less processed the better IMO. Being well hydrated is also important. Skimmed milk is a cheap, readily available and full of goodness for pre, during and post exercise if you get on with it.   

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#11 Re: how much protein should I take?
July 29, 2011, 03:39:13 pm
what Shark said.
anyway excess protein is converted into fat, for what I've read, 20 times less than excess carbs.
so, as long as it's lean, I gulp down as much proteins as I like. I think a good supplementation could be helpful also, it's not very advisable to eat a steak half an hour before the session, and it's not always easy to have it after also!!!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#12 Re: how much protein should I take?
July 29, 2011, 03:52:37 pm
I usually have training sessions until pretty late; usually climb until after 9 and home by 10. I'm usually not hungry at this time, and if I eat a lot of protein at this time I usually go to sleep with a full stomach and sleep badly. Is it best to get some in before and during if I don't feel like eating after? Or should I at least get some milk or something in me?

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#13 Re: how much protein should I take?
July 29, 2011, 04:37:15 pm
I''m no expert but this is what I know.
taking supplements before the session helps you having a better session.
taking them after, helps the recovery.
so, given that it largely depends on the kind of sessions you have had, I think that a good dose of supplements after the session could be very useful.
a night can be a very long time to pass, for a muscle deprived of nutrients. imagine training hard in the morning and then waiting 9 hours before having a meal...

tom_greenwich

#14 Re: how much protein should I take?
July 29, 2011, 08:02:04 pm
I'm currently commuting 19km a day on bike (~45mins) and doing a weights session in the gym and a finger board session or going climbing for a couple of hours.

I'm taking 3 scoops of Maximuscle Promax which is about 70g of protein (I think) seems to make a big difference, I'm less achey and tired and see better muscle development, but haven't put on any weight.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#15 Re: how much protein should I take?
July 29, 2011, 10:17:01 pm
I'm taking 3 scoops of Maximuscle Promax which is about 70g of protein (I think) seems to make a big difference, I'm less achey and tired and see better muscle development, but haven't put on any weight.

Is that in one hit or spread through the day as recommended

Robbo

• regular
  • Once a Royal Marine, always a Royal Marine
#16 Re: how much protein should I take?
July 30, 2011, 12:18:15 am
Simon, I've just about finished reading

Advanced Sports Nutrition, by Dr Dan Benardo.

It is absolutely quality. Covers everything you need to know about sorting out what to eat and when. Goes into plenty of detail, but isn't overly scientific.  It's cleared up hundreds of questions that I had, but couldn't find the answers to on t'internet.

I can't recommend it enough and it's only about £8 on Amazon. I've completely changed my entire diet since reading it and feel like it's making a massive difference.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Advanced-Sports-Nutrition-Dan-Benardot/dp/0736059415/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1311981266&sr=8-1

mark s

• junky
#17 Re: how much protein should I take?
July 30, 2011, 05:30:41 pm
Might just get me a copy of that robbo.
As for fingerboarding,climbing I wouldn't eat anymore protien than a normal diet provides.I get really thirsty if nailing protien.prob something to do with kidneys flushing it out.there are supplements that allow your body to absorb more protein

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal