UKBouldering.com

Searching for a really small MTB hardtail... (Read 7193 times)

Xan

• regular
So I recently did my first XC trail on a borrowed (and far too big) hardtail but really loved it. I ride a hybrid to work and around the Peak District, but that's obviously no use on the trails, so now I'm weighing up my options and wondering whether I can afford a hardtail of my own.

Trouble is, I'm pretty wee - I'd need a 13" frame, don't know if I could get away with anything bigger (I'm 5' 2"). I'm guessing that limits me to a women's geometry - or could I technically ride a kid's bike?!

Basically, I'd really appreciate some guidance. The guys at work are recommending I get disc brakes and the works.. but my funds are limited so in all honesty I want to know what I can get away with. Much as I'd like a pretty, shiny bike, is it worth getting something cheap and cheerful and riding it until it breaks (however long that takes) then upgrading to something much better once I know I'm properly psyched?

I'm not sure how hardcore it'd need to be either, apparently I did some black trail sections (on an overall red route) and I definitely want more of that! But of course I will have a lot to learn first.

Obviously, there are things out there which are too cheap and cheerful, but I'm not aware of the cut-off point...

Any help or suggestions gratefully received. As you can probably tell, I'm a little out of my depth here.  :-[

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
What's your budget?

I'd look at 2nd hand if you're on a tight one.

Even the MTB big-spender Fatdoc rarely buys new.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
What kind of budget are we talking about? If you go too cheap it will break the first time out on the trails, 'proper' mountain bikes really start around the £350 mark. If your on a very tight budget look at Decathlon own brand bikes, especially end of line ones can be a bargain. Your height might be an advantage as often the left over season ones are XS. You shouldn't need to get a womans frame as there are plenty of XS mens or 'youth' sizes available. Womens geometry tends to be a bit different so I'd avoid unless you like pink bikes with big saddles.  ;D

Second hand is obviously a good option if your v tight on cash but get some help when looking as older/cheaper bikes may well be trashed. Ebay/bike forums are good places to look.

Disc brakes do make a big difference and help you build up confidence so try and get some if you can. Unless you can do it yourself if you do buy second hand, budget for getting a full service when you get the bike as brakes may need bleeding etc, a well serviced bike should feel like new to ride.

galpinos

• forum hero
Might not help but the missus bought a 13” frame bike (Kona Five-O) second hand from a trail centre. I believe it cost her £400 (but she may have been economical with the truth) and loads of the bits were new, those that weren't were fully serviced.

It’s a pretty burly bike which had generally been ridden by light riders on easyish trails so was in great nick. Worth a look imo.

Xan

• regular
Budget: I was hoping for sub £300, but suspected that might be unrealistic given that I would like it not to break immediately..

I love the look of the Cube Access, if I was going to go for a "proper" bike I think that's what I'd like, or a Specialized Myka.. How much of a disadvantage to v-brakes cause? Is it just a case of growing out of them very quickly and wanting to upgrade? And how easy is it to convert from v-brakes to disc?

I'm a girl, so don't mind women's geometry - definitely opposed to pink/purple though!
As far as kids' bikes go though - how do you know what's a decent/solid ride? Best to stick to known brands I suppose. The ebay results for a 13" frame weren't great earlier, but worth keeping an eye on. I might check out Re-Cycle bikes in Sheffield too, as I think you can ask them to keep an eye out for things...

I guess I just wanted confirmation not to do the cheap and cheerful route, and start saving the pennies instead. (There goes the dream of a proper road bike this year too then!)

Thanks for your help so far :)

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
Budget: I was hoping for sub £300, but suspected that might be unrealistic given that I would like it not to break immediately..
I'd definitely look at 2nd hand, might get something nice from 3-5years old if your careful.

And how easy is it to convert from v-brakes to disc?
Not easy at all I'm afraid, requires new hubs/wheels. Most of the time it would be uneconomical on a budget bike and cheaper to sell it and buy one with discs.

I'm a girl, so don't mind women's geometry - definitely opposed to pink/purple though!
sorry Xan, the way you phased it sounded like you were a lad looking at womens frames!

I'd be surprised if you needed a frame as small as 13", have you sat on any? I'd expect more like 14-15" frame.

Iesu

• obsessive maniac
I'd definitely look at 2nd hand, might get something nice from 3-5years old if your careful.

And how easy is it to convert from v-brakes to disc?
Not easy at all I'm afraid, requires new hubs/wheels. Most of the time it would be uneconomical on a budget bike and cheaper to sell it and buy one with discs.

sorry Xan, the way you phased it sounded like you were a lad looking at womens frames!

I'd be surprised if you needed a frame as small as 13", have you sat on any? I'd expect more like 14-15" frame.

not to mention that the frame (and possibly even forks) may not have disc brake tabs.

I don't really think there's a massive problem with V-brakes; discs on cheaper bikes tend to be crap cable activated ones anyway (although their presence does mean that the upgrade path is easier). The main advantage of discs is that your rim doesn't wear out through using your brakes.

My ladyfriend is about your height and has an old XS sized Giant (i think that equates to 13"; cheap and cheerful, V brakes, RockShox Judy, heavy as hell) in the basement currently unused and unloved. It was too small for her and she got herself a spesh last year on the bike to work thing - have you considered that?

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
I'm on a roll...

14" Kona Lanai £295 down from £350
Has disc brake compatible hubs for future upgrading which is a nice touch.
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/kona/lanai-2011-mountain-bike-ec026528

tlr

• forum abuser
  • tim-russon.myportfolio Instagram tim_russon
    • Myportfolio
 I know of a very small Myka that was for sale, pm me and I'll try and put you in touch with the girl selling it. She lives in Sheffield.

Tim

Xan

• regular
Wow, you lot are awesome, thanks for all the help! I'm going to sit down in front oft computer tomorrow and consider all the options. :)

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
2010 Myka HT Sport 13inch £300

No discs but looks nice.

http://www.southdownsbikes.com/products.php?plid=m18b1s24p6427&rs=gb

ianv

• forum abuser
For the sort of money you have to spend, go second hand.

That myka might hit the price pont but it has crap forks, brakes and drive train.

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
 :agree: second hand is the way to go.  You need to spend better than around £600 to get a half decent hardtail these days and you don't want to spend that kind of cash if you're not going to like the sport later.  Priority should be hydraulic disc brakes and decent forks.  Search previous threads on here for info re bits and pieces and hardtails at price points or wait for Slackers who will be along soon to point them all out no doubt.

Mrs Sharley is a mighty 5'3" and rides a 14" frame (Specialized stumpjumper fsr womens geometry - it's also nice and sparkly blue which didn't have any impact on her decision to buy it at all, oh no).  Womens geometry is more about a short top tube than height of the seat tube.  This is cos birds are supposed to have relatively long legs and short bodies compared with blokes, i.e. less reach to the bars from the seat.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
 :agree:

try bikemagic & pinkbike

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Is £300 really your top limit? Always buy the best you can afford, buy cheap buy twice etc.

You could easily spend double that if you need to keep replacing low quality or broken bits.

Just a thought.

Even if you don't really intend buying new, worth going into a few bike shops and "trying on" a few bikes to get a feel for the right frame size for you.

sxrxg

• obsessive maniac
I noticed this on pinkbike...

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/838797/

£300, 14" frame - looks to be in good nick from the photo and it is a lot more bike than you would get buying new.

stom

• addict
    • Some Videos
I noticed this on pinkbike...

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/838797/

£300, 14" frame - looks to be in good nick from the photo and it is a lot more bike than you would get buying new.

14" jump bike frame with 24" wheels.. not really suitable for someone just starting out in mountainbiking!

sxrxg

• obsessive maniac
The caldera is an all mountain hardtail, no? And i think it usually has 26" rims (this is what seem to be shown in the photo...) Maybe they have been changed since the photo was taken though - in which case i would advise the op to stay away as the bike will probably have been ridden for dirt/street.

Xan

• regular
So I finally bought a really small Specialized Myka from tlr's friend! So far I've taken it to Sherwood Pines several times and out to Houndkirk and Langsett.
It strikes me that the difference between Peak District riding and Forestry Commission stuff is like climbing outside and inside - the man-made trails provide a lot more fun for me at the minute, but it's not quite the real world...

Hopefully I'll get better at riding the real stuff - had a frustrating evening out on Houndkirk and Blacka Moor last night. Plenty of room for improvement...

Thanks all for your help :)

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
Sounds like a good choice.

Presumably Houndkirk was frustrating going uphill and Blacka downhill?  Houndkirk has some tricky little ups if you don't get your line right and Blacka has plenty of scope for not cleaning even the easiest of the downhills.  There's a world of difference between Sherwood and those two places.  Don't worry, you'll get better with practice and experience.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
 :great:

welcome the world of off road cycling

Xan

• regular
Presumably Houndkirk was frustrating going uphill and Blacka downhill?  Houndkirk has some tricky little ups if you don't get your line right and Blacka has plenty of scope for not cleaning even the easiest of the downhills.

Houndkirk was frustrating getting spat off the loose rocks in random directions and thus not being able to hold a line (apparently I may need to adjust the suspension) and Blacka had a scary ditch and then some hair-raising edge of the hillside, channel not big enough for bike + pedals, single-track. Once you've lost the momentum you just can't get back in a position keeping both pedals clear of the sides. Still, next time I have the advantage of having already been introduced to the terrain (and the dead sheep at the bottom, stinky) so it can't be any worse!

However much I spit and curse (and get scared..big wuss..) on the way round, the sense of achievement at the end is pretty good, and the frustration just makes me want to go back and do that section again!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal