UKBouldering.com

The Climbing Academy Glasgow. (Read 13302 times)

algorham

The Climbing Academy Glasgow.
July 28, 2011, 12:06:22 pm

Yesterday we were invited down to the site of the new boulder wall soon to open in Glasgow. Everyone is super friendly and motivated, the wall is high and the end is in sight for completion. We are going to be spending more and more time there as the build progresses so we'll keep you posted!

http://alloureggs.wordpress.com/

Al and Jen

willackers

• junky
    • Vimeo
#1 Re: The Climbing Academy Glasgow.
July 28, 2011, 03:44:04 pm
Great pictures!

It looks like it's going to be amazing!

rodma

• forum hero
#2 Re: The Climbing Academy Glasgow.
July 28, 2011, 03:48:51 pm
Does look good, and am suitably excited  :bounce:

I just hope that the rumours circulating about the boulder problems being punter set are untrue, especially with such capable management.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#3 Re: The Climbing Academy Glasgow.
July 28, 2011, 03:56:47 pm
Why would they be? Looks like they have got ample space for grades from very punter to very hard nails.

rodma

• forum hero
#4 Re: The Climbing Academy Glasgow.
July 29, 2011, 08:39:17 am
Why would they be? Looks like they have got ample space for grades from very punter to very hard nails.

Sorry Chris, my bad engerlish.

"punter set" should read "set by punters" i.e. not as in someone I consider to be a lesser mortal  :P , but someone who is neither staff, or a proffessional route setter. Enough of that shit goes on at other walls with properly random outcomes.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#5 Re: The Climbing Academy Glasgow.
July 29, 2011, 08:43:47 am
I would have thought with the calibre of staff and the TCA experience that they problems will be great. I hope so.

rodma

• forum hero
#6 Re: The Climbing Academy Glasgow.
July 29, 2011, 09:45:47 am
I'm sure that you're correct and that the folk who told me are just bitter, or twisted, or have wee-man syndrome, or something (and no, I did not tell myself).

I am genuinely really really excited, the centre looks like it is going to be fantastic  8)

Cassidy

#7 Re: The Climbing Academy Glasgow.
September 04, 2011, 08:29:31 pm
I'm curious where you heard that rumour Roddy.

robertostallioni

• forum hero
#8 Re: The Climbing Academy Glasgow.
September 04, 2011, 08:35:09 pm
I just hope that the rumours circulating about the boulder problems being punter set are untrue.

Maybe he means you, Al.  :lol:

rodma

• forum hero
#9 Re: The Climbing Academy Glasgow.
September 22, 2011, 10:42:25 am
I heard it from someone who would be best described as choadish, if I was being kind.

SHITE

#10 Re: The Climbing Academy Glasgow.
September 25, 2011, 04:55:14 pm

8 pound tae boulder?  :jaw: :wavecry:

rodma

• forum hero
#11 Re: The Climbing Academy Glasgow.
September 26, 2011, 08:25:18 am
 :shrug:

That doesn't sound too bad to me for peak time.

The membership deals look well worth it if local enough.

Am still  :bounce: at the prospect of the place opening

north_country_boy

• junky
#12 Re: The Climbing Academy Glasgow.
September 26, 2011, 08:42:20 am

8 pound tae boulder?  :jaw: :wavecry:

It does seem a lot, however when you compare the facility to what else is on offer for boulderers in central Scotland (GCC/Ratho/Alien 2), it certainly seems good value for money (especially the memberships).

I think the problem is, people expect a Ferrari for the price of a Fiesta....

andy_e

• forum hero
#13 Re: The Climbing Academy Glasgow.
September 30, 2011, 09:56:35 am
But the price of a Fiesta seems to have gone up sharply over the last few years!

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#14 Re: The Climbing Academy Glasgow.
September 30, 2011, 11:55:46 am
It's not cheap but I don't think it's that bad, GCC used to be about the same to get in although I see it is now £5.10 (just to boulder).  But TCA is much bigger, and bouldering specific so I don't think it's odd that it costs more.

north_country_boy

• junky
#15 Re: The Climbing Academy Glasgow.
September 30, 2011, 12:06:54 pm
It's not cheap but I don't think it's that bad, GCC used to be about the same to get in although I see it is now £5.10 (just to boulder).  But TCA is much bigger, and bouldering specific so I don't think it's odd that it costs more.

I agree, especially when you consider it is £7.65 for standard entry to GCC....which I think, when you have paid that once for the standard of the facility, will may feel pretty disgruntled.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#16 Re: The Climbing Academy Glasgow.
September 30, 2011, 12:08:39 pm
We stopped by Ratho on the way home a few years back, having not been before, and they wanted to charge us £12 each to register and climb as a one off visit, so by comparison it doesn't seem too bad. I think Ratho have changed their pricing policy since though.

Fras

• regular
#17 Re: The Climbing Academy Glasgow.
September 30, 2011, 01:53:58 pm
I think it's unfair and unrealistic to compare apples and.....Ferraris.

I for one don't grudge paying top dollar for a top dollar facility, which I know TCA will be. Frankly, I'd probably pay a tenner, but don't tell the management that!

Re Ratho: I got a free entry last night on account of their loyalty card, so can't complain about that venue either; 5 trips there then you get your 6th one free. Plus, if you have an "Edinburgh Leisure Card", you get in for £6.80, which is amazing value for what is unquestionably a world-class facility. Businesses stay in business by charging appropriately. This means covering their costs (including a profit margin) as well as what can reasonably be expected folk will pay - not by charging what the punters think would be good value.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#18 Re: The Climbing Academy Glasgow.
September 30, 2011, 02:11:55 pm
Like I said, this was a few years back, probably before they went bust. I think Edinburgh Council have got things sorted a bit better now, and pricing policies is a bit more reasonable. I don't go often enough to accumulate freebies though, and don't live in Edinburgh, so don't get no Leisure Card.

Of course businesses charge should charge appropriately, if they overdo it people can always vote with their feet.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#19 Re: The Climbing Academy Glasgow.
September 30, 2011, 03:17:09 pm
always remember that the average British gym, at least all those I've visited during my visits, would be a dream like facility in Italy.
if I go to my local gym, in which there is no heating, no ventilation, no showers, no coffee, and so on, not to talk about the crappy wall and the horrible bouldering, I still have to pay 10 Euros.
that's why I don't go there.
but when I went to King Rock in Verona (http://www.kingrock.it/2010/home.html), to be honest I didn't even listen when they told me the entrance fee.
quality has a price.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#20 Re: The Climbing Academy Glasgow.
September 30, 2011, 04:25:10 pm
Similar prices over here. Boulderwelt in Munich claims to be the biggest dedicated bouldering facility in the world. I have no means of knowing if this is true, and haven't been to e.g. The Works. It's certainly much bigger than The Arch - the only modern British bouldering wall I've visited - and has very good setting. Boulderwelt charges 9.50 Euros per visit. Less if you have a membership, but I don't because ...

The DAV wall at Thalkirchen, also in Munich, which is a huge leading wall with two also reasonably good bouldering rooms, has a yearly subscription which costs 120 Euros then 5 Euros per visit. Since I'm there once or twice a week this works out at around 6 or 7 Euros per visit. Without the yearly card, though, it's 15.50 Euros for non-DAV members.

So I wasn't in the least shocked by a tenner for the Arch when I went there in May.

Fras

• regular
#21 Re: The Climbing Academy Glasgow.
October 04, 2011, 12:41:57 pm
....but when I went to King Rock in Verona (http://www.kingrock.it/2010/home.html), to be honest I didn't even listen when they told me the entrance fee.
quality has a price.

Looks amazing - typically, stylishly Italian!  :clap2:

Out of curiosity, what was the entrance fee?

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#22 Re: The Climbing Academy Glasgow.
October 04, 2011, 01:07:16 pm
Out of curiosity, what was the entrance fee?

You click on "Orari e Abonamenti", obviously. Duh.

I clicked on "Allenamento" expecting to read about the cakes in the caff.

sxrxg

• obsessive maniac
#23 Re: The Climbing Academy Glasgow.
October 05, 2011, 11:55:06 pm
I have been waiting eagerly for the opening as the missus lives in Glasgow and while I am excited for her having this new facility we have worked out that it is just not going to be cost effective as a training facility. Will probably visit as a treat say once a month however GCC will have to be the primary training facility still (obviously not as large a facility for bouldering, however the GCC bouldering is being expanded and they have recently added a beastmaker symmetrical board – plenty to train on). The entry to GCC for bouldering only is £5.10 therefore based on pass entry to TCA you could visit GCC 2.6 times per week (1.7 times at £8 entry to TCA) based on a 3 month TCA pass.

Obviously I understand that you are not comparing like for like and that the bouldering at GCC is limited compared to the top class facility that will be on offer at the TCA, the prices still seem expensive though even when comparing with the other dedicated bouldering facilities around the country, see table below (and i don't buy the argument that with a TCA pass you get access to 2 facilities as being 6 hours drive apart i can't imagine many people who will use both facilities regular enough to justify the higher prices).

TCA, Glasgow/Bristol - 12 month, £415 / 3 month, £160
Depot, Leeds - 12 month, £330
Hangar, Liverpool - 12 month, £360 / 3 month, £110
Works, Sheffield - 12 month, £330 / 3 month, £122
City Bloc, Leeds - 12 month, £330 / 3 month, £120
Rockover, Manchester - 12 month, £375 / 3 month, £120

and not really comparable but GCC currently have a special offer of a 12 month pass for £240

I hope for the atmosphere of the new TCA that they have considered the implications of the pass prices being so much higher than GCC, it would be a shame for a facility with so much promise not to reach its full potential because of low numbers/poor atmosphere.

bagger

#24 Re: The Climbing Academy Glasgow.
October 06, 2011, 11:37:55 am
I guess the GCC must be shitting their pants that a big section of their customer base is going to defect.

So, only now that there is a bit of competition do they bother to tart up their facilties, and give a good deal on an annual pass. Hmmm.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#25 Re: The Climbing Academy Glasgow.
October 06, 2011, 11:47:13 am
It's called market forces.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#26 Re: The Climbing Academy Glasgow.
October 06, 2011, 03:20:45 pm
That's just how it works, surely?  If you're running a business where you essentially have a monopoly why would you charge people less, it doesn't make commercial sense, you charge as much as you can while still getting people in the door.  Once you have competition it makes sense to drop your prices so that you retain customers and are competitive.  They're businesses first and foremost, not charities or some sort of refuge for local boulderers.  ;D

I'm quite surprised at how much more expensive TCA is compared to other big facilities (specifically The Works) for the yearly pass, and the fact it allows you into two venues is, as someone said up thread, a false economy and not much of a selling point, most people will be lucky to use it once or twice a year at their non-local site.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#27 Re: The Climbing Academy Glasgow.
October 06, 2011, 03:42:01 pm
What she said, only with less words. It's called market forces. :)

north_country_boy

• junky
#28 Re: The Climbing Academy Glasgow.
October 06, 2011, 03:46:12 pm
That's just how it works, surely?  If you're running a business where you essentially have a monopoly why would you charge people less, it doesn't make commercial sense, you charge as much as you can while still getting people in the door.  Once you have competition it makes sense to drop your prices so that you retain customers and are competitive.  They're businesses first and foremost, not charities or some sort of refuge for local boulderers.  ;D

Drop your prices or raise your game? The bottom line is, the people who do value a good facility, service, atmosphere and everything else that goes with it, are prepared to pay for it.  I personally would rather pay the same or more and see improvements made to the existing facility, rather than have a few extra pounds in my pocket each month...

By lowering their prices they are acknowledging that they offer an inferior facility/product/service....lest not forget that its £7.65 to use the whole facility at GCC, which to me....is massively overpriced! Its more expensive that Ratho (without an Edinburgh leisure card)!!

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#29 Re: The Climbing Academy Glasgow.
October 06, 2011, 04:33:41 pm
What she said, only with less words. It's called market forces. :)
I was agreeing with you, in a long winded fashion that us ladies so enjoy.  :chair:

SA Chris

• forum hero
#30 Re: The Climbing Academy Glasgow.
October 06, 2011, 07:30:59 pm
aka blethering.

Why use one word when a dozen will do the job just as well.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#31 Re: The Climbing Academy Glasgow.
October 07, 2011, 10:18:39 am
Well exactly!  I am glad to see you are well versed in the female way. :)

bagger

#32 Re: The Climbing Academy Glasgow.
October 07, 2011, 10:24:23 am
I think, what I was trying to say is that customers can be loyal, and maybe if GCC had invested in their facilities more over the past years then people would think twice before going elsewhere.

But, the TCA looks amazing - so maybe my theory is bollox.

sxrxg

• obsessive maniac
#33 Re: The Climbing Academy Glasgow.
October 07, 2011, 11:37:22 am

Drop your prices or raise your game? The bottom line is, the people who do value a good facility, service, atmosphere and everything else that goes with it, are prepared to pay for it.  I personally would rather pay the same or more and see improvements made to the existing facility, rather than have a few extra pounds in my pocket each month...

By lowering their prices they are acknowledging that they offer an inferior facility/product/service....lest not forget that its £7.65 to use the whole facility at GCC, which to me....is massively overpriced! Its more expensive that Ratho (without an Edinburgh leisure card)!!

While i agree to an extent (and if the pass price was in line with other centres i would probably think the price was justified for the better facilities that will be on offer), it doesn't make any financial sense as in this case as you can buy a pass to GCC for 12 months and pay to visit TCA 19 times in the year and still be left with change... if you have money to burn then it is not a problem, however with rents and fuel prices going up and no pay increases in the pipeline for many the price issue is becoming more and more of a priority for lots of people.

c.j.d.

• forum abuser
  • Great.
#34 Re: The Climbing Academy Glasgow.
October 09, 2011, 11:04:50 pm
So, is it open yet?

Magpie, that's called long winded that is.  You should have children.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#35 Re: The Climbing Academy Glasgow.
October 10, 2011, 12:15:10 pm
You should have children.
So I can bore them to death with my over enthusiastic and constant mum chat? :D

And no, I don't think it's opened yet? 

Duma

• forum hero
#36 Re: The Climbing Academy Glasgow.
October 10, 2011, 03:50:08 pm
Saw Paul today and he said they're on track for opening next week, but are dependant on the developer finishing some work

Cassidy

#37 Re: The Climbing Academy Glasgow.
October 14, 2011, 09:17:37 pm
sxrxg (thats a bit of a mouthful) I have had an idea!  You could always try bribing TCA to let you in more cheaply.

sxrxg

• obsessive maniac
#38 Re: The Climbing Academy Glasgow.
October 14, 2011, 11:20:46 pm
sxrxg (thats a bit of a mouthful) I have had an idea!  You could always try bribing TCA to let you in more cheaply.

I am sure TCA are above those kind of tactics  ;)

Also not sure a cheap pass would be useful for me living 200 miles away, would be nice to give the girlfriend a cheap pass as a present though...

Anyway do you have a date for the opening yet? Hope the build is going well and you are open when i spend my next wet weekend in Glasgow.

marty

• menacing presence
#39 Re: The Climbing Academy Glasgow.
October 16, 2011, 10:44:07 pm
I had the privilege of checking out TCA-G today. The place looks totally awesome, and it is clear to see a huge effort has gone in to transform the building - good luck to the team for the launch!

I can't wait to start training!!!!  :bounce:

Paul T

• regular
#40 Re: The Climbing Academy Glasgow.
October 17, 2011, 10:16:15 am
Thanks to everyone invited who came down yesterday afternoon to test the problems and give our new staff a dry run with the membership system and to help identify any teething issues. It was also good practice for their new found barrista skills.

At TCA we take our route-setting very seriously, as any of our Bristol members I'm sure will vouch, and we put as much effort into making our lower grade circuits as interesting and as high quality as our harder problems. Hopefully the negative comments made by those who have not actually experienced this at 1st hand will be dismissed with the due respect that they deserve.

Our pricing structure is set at what we believe to be good value for the facilities we provide. Our annual pass of £415 represents one visit at peak time per week. Most dedicated boulders will be having multiple sessions per week. It may cheaper to climb elsewhere but Glasgow now has the largest dedicated bouldering centre in the UK, with two amazing managers in Rob Sutton and Alan Cassidy, and provides arguably the best routesetting across the whole grade range of any facility of this type.

Everything we do at TCA is done firstly with the customer in mind, to give them good value for their hard earned money. We care about our climbing as much as our customers so please come and experience this before shooting us down.

To use an analogy, we also realise that some people will always buy Tesco value beans rather than Heinz on principle, and some people would still moan even if they climbed for free. We have to accept this fact of life and just acknowledge that they are missing out on something very special and move on.

We do take a very dim view of people who try to bribe or blackmail us, so sxrxg, you are right - we are above that, but rest assured we will ban anyone for life who might try such low tactics.

We're now pressing on with the last of the finishing work and looking forward to finally getting open for everyone later this week.

rodma

• forum hero
#41 Re: The Climbing Academy Glasgow.
October 17, 2011, 12:09:22 pm
Does look good, and am suitably excited  :bounce:

I just hope that the rumours circulating about the boulder problems being punter set are untrue, especially with such capable management.

Can someone please punter me for perpetuating such a bullshit rumour  :slap: I can't punter myself.

Thanks to everyone invited who came down yesterday afternoon to test the problems and give our new staff a dry run with the membership system and to help identify any teething issues. It was also good practice for their new found barrista skills.

At TCA we take our route-setting very seriously, as any of our Bristol members I'm sure will vouch, and we put as much effort into making our lower grade circuits as interesting and as high quality as our harder problems. Hopefully the negative comments made by those who have not actually experienced this at 1st hand will be dismissed with the due respect that they deserve.

Thanks for letting me come down yesterday and play on your superb problems.

It is clear that you have taken great care in the selection and training of staff and the setting is second to none, throughout the grade range. Am still  :bounce: after yesterday. can't wait to visit again.

Superb value for money btw

rodma

• forum hero
#42 Re: The Climbing Academy Glasgow.
October 17, 2011, 01:02:51 pm
Can someone please punter me for perpetuating such a bullshit rumour  :slap: I can't punter myself.

Thanks Chris  :great:

Duma

• forum hero
#43 Re: The Climbing Academy Glasgow.
October 19, 2011, 03:19:55 pm
Midday Friday apparently. Saw Paul in Bristol last night and he looks exhausted, but from the look of this it seems worthwhile:

Fras

• regular
#44 Re: The Climbing Academy Glasgow.
October 21, 2011, 10:42:25 am
Aargh, this is the slowest morning ever. I mean, just how long does it take to get to 12 o'clock? Not that I'm impatient or anything.... :bounce:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal