UKBouldering.com

Harnesses - BD Chaos vs Arc'teryx R320a (Read 2683 times)

lukeyboy

• forum abuser
Harnesses - BD Chaos vs Arc'teryx R320a
July 20, 2011, 05:54:03 pm
My old harness is just about dead and I need a replacement - both of these look to fit the bill. I'm looking for somthing equally good for sport + trad, comfy, high quality, durable. It seems to me that you're going to be replacing a harness every five years or so and spending a lot of time wearing it, so when the difference between best and worst is in the region of £50 it's worth buying top end. So I don't mind spending more if it is noticeably better.

If you have one of these, what are your thoughts? Anything which has started annoying you after a few months? Anyone find the fixed leg loops on the BD an issue?

Replies much appreciated!

iain

• forum abuser

I've got the old version of the R300, used it for everything from dogging single pitch sport (a lot) to dolomites multi-pitch trad and even alpine stuff. It's the best harness I've ever worn, very comfortable and versatile. The fancy weave stuff makes such a difference compared to other harnesses I've owned.

I've found the 4 gear loops to be plenty, you can fit loads on them, and I know you were asking about the BD but I've never had an issue with the fixed leg loops, even over multiple layers.
Durability is fine as well. 4 years old, it gets used all the time and it's in great nick.

The only slight irritation is that sometimes the gear on the front loops can end up sat on my legs, (usually happens when it's the last thing I need,) but this is mainly (I think) because it's a little too big and the gear loops sit too far forward as a result.

Can't recommend it highly enough though, I'm not going to bother looking at any other makers when it's time to replace it.

lukeyboy

• forum abuser
Cool, thanks for the reply. I'm thinking that the arc'teryx is the better harness - but need to decide if it's worth the extra £££ ....  :-\

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
I have the BD Chaos, good harness, no issues. Re. leg loops, personally I'd go out of my way to find non-adjustable as I don't need it for snow and don't want unnecessary extras. If you're in average propotion, they fit.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal