UKBouldering.com

yorkshire grit chipping (Read 29638 times)

Danny

• junky
#50 Re: yorkshire grit chipping
July 27, 2011, 02:14:57 pm
...which is all eminently sensible...

and yet, in principle, the "mess" you mentioned at the top of Wimberry is no more, or less, objectionable than carving a poem, or drilling limestone (something which you yourself have done IIRC?)
That is exactly my point. If you are ok with the commisioned graffiti then you have little moral right to object to non-commisioned graffiti (big smiley face in the middle of Angel's Share anyone, it's for charity?). You're then into the murky business of making arbitrary calls as to what is worthy/unworthy and what is/isn't visually acceptable.

If a craving (or rock painting) adds beauty to an area then what's the problem?
Yes, if, but who decides if? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, one man's meat etc. Poetry carved in wild places offends my aesthetics but not that of others on UKB. It strikes me as being like a tattoo which might seem like a good idea now, but who knows how it will be viewed in 50-100 years time.

And indeed I don't object to the random graffiti, any more than the poems, or bolting.
To be clear, I don't think that any of them are particularly fantastic, nor do I think they're particularly worth fussing over. Bearing in mind, of course, that there must be a line in the sand somewhere:  6 foot neon graffiti, similarly scaled poetry, rusting clusters of badly drilled bolts...all probably too much. Decorum, consultation with stakeholders, compromise...blah blah.

Clearly, the reason no one is too fussed on here is that the carvings ain't on, say, the pebble (which, incidentally, looks blatantly loved to death on a good day) and this viewpoint is well illustrated by your ponderings on the Angel's Share slab; lest you forget the only reason anyone can get onto it is the chipped runnel, which is obviously fine.   

PATRuL

• menacing presence
#51 Re: yorkshire grit chipping
July 27, 2011, 10:45:02 pm
Ding ding, seconds out ...

JIbe there's as much chance of you getting a tatt, as me growin a full beard = zero  :(

A little off tangent for the lateral thinkers amongst us but all is one ... here goes ...

Tatt's are bad, very bad, they mess the lymphatic systum up. Plus its a scar!

Who owns ones body anyway when we come from the earth and all the attributing elements?

Chipping, scrapping lichen off rock its the same crime.

The thing called civilsation is a mockery of humanities fullest expression ...we're like children in a toy shop with allsorts of deadly toys, ideas, actions ... no need for a list, we all know on some level or other the insanity that's peddled in the name of progress and so called evolution.
What is the rush?
Seems like fear of death to me and not enough time to stuff our ego's full of even more detiritus.
Greed runs amok like some kind of viral undercurrent.
THE QUest for some fleeting glory hovers infront of our every move, so much so that the journey is lost to the goal.
Conquested success, leads to another desire, needs must fulfill the endless cesspit of wanting and so it goes ...
The slower i go the deeper my success and failure, two side of the same coin ...

I have often wondered something i can't remember ...
                                                                                 ... that thoughts passed back into the ether. 

THis will have to do, its to do with anal retention.  Its a fairly accurate generralisation ... why is it climbing walls, or rather climbers, are such tense places? 
                                                                                    I'm sure you'll all be pleased to know i now know ... its because we are mostly dealing with fear (and the energetics of competition, but that's another issue).  IN the bodies energy system fear, of any type - physical, emotional, mental, etc is stored in the perineum.  As climbing is a sphere of fear the perinum tightens and in many cases remains contracted.  Just observe and check it out in any situation that causes fear.  I find the less i need to do something, eg a problem, the more i can relax.  This relaxing opens up all my body, giving me more freedom, power and flexibility - very interesting.  As for many climbing walls I'm throughly bored of these dreadfully serious places, though of course pockets of freedom exist.  Too many bananas in the tail pipes!  My levels of personal constipation are dissipating and i'm jolly happy about that.  I'm sure this all ties into chipping somehow - maybe someone can see a link?

P.S.  Beauty is easily indentifable - but i'll have to charge for that info.

Opinions are like the waters in the river ...

I'm goint tut stick to sniffing Daisy's flower!

Off to N Wales soon for some trad, i aint done that for years, rather looking forward to it, what!

P.S.  I anyone sees the Boy of Joy give his beard a caress from me XXX

yorkshireman

• obsessive maniac
  • dont knock the rock if you're shaky at the grade
#52 Re: yorkshire grit chipping
July 28, 2011, 02:14:59 pm
your better off posting crap like that on ukc :goodidea:

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#53 Re: yorkshire grit chipping
July 28, 2011, 03:41:13 pm
I agree.

Duma

• forum hero
#54 Re: yorkshire grit chipping
July 28, 2011, 09:57:55 pm
I agree.
I don't. Stick around PATRul

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#55 Re: yorkshire grit chipping
July 29, 2011, 12:29:06 am
A memorial stone was set into the bank: “Here John Turner was cast away in a heavy snowstorm in the night in or about the year 1755.” - Thursbitch

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#56 Re: yorkshire grit chipping
July 29, 2011, 01:35:07 am
I like your babble. It's total nonsense but that won't phase me.

IN the bodies energy system fear, of any type - physical, emotional, mental, etc is stored in the perineum.  As climbing is a sphere of fear the perinum tightens and in many cases remains contracted.

This bit is especially wrong. Stress causes a slackening of the guts hence why you might shit in fear.

Duma

• forum hero
#57 Re: yorkshire grit chipping
July 29, 2011, 09:14:36 am
A memorial stone was set into the bank: “Here John Turner was cast away in a heavy snowstorm in the night in or about the year 1755.” - Thursbitch
I fucking love that book

galpinos

• forum hero
#58 Re: yorkshire grit chipping
July 29, 2011, 11:05:40 am
This bit is especially wrong. Stress causes a slackening of the guts hence why you might shit in fear.

This is off topic but......I was under the impression stress causes constipation and adrenaline shuts your guts down. The whole "shitting yourself in fear" thing being a misnomer.

Any medical types/coprophiles keen to comment?

Danny

• junky
#59 Re: yorkshire grit chipping
July 29, 2011, 12:46:14 pm

This is off topic but......I was under the impression stress causes constipation and adrenaline shuts your guts down. The whole "shitting yourself in fear" thing being a misnomer.

Any medical types/coprophiles keen to comment?

I'm neither, but have you ever noticed that often, as you're mulling over the impending decision to get on a necky route, you feel the need for a shit?

I have, and I'm told that this is due to the affect of adrenaline on your gut, technically known as "sphincter wink"

dave

#60 Re: yorkshire grit chipping
July 30, 2011, 10:59:32 am

You recon? watch this:

olihouston

#61 Re: yorkshire grit chipping
July 30, 2011, 07:50:47 pm
Stress causes the guts to produce adrenocorticotrophin (ACTH), along with ATP and a number of other things (I think ACTH is the main one - normally found in the hypothalamus and pituatiary system in the brain), this definitely aggravates IBS, and may cause milder symptoms in non-IBS err well it's been tested in colons and other bits of intestine from mice, guinea-pigs and the like.

Causes a number of things to happen, the most noticeable (other than emptying of the bowels) is contraction of the muscle wall, i.e. the feeling of a knot in your stomach, which I'm sure we've all had and this contributes to the need to err relieve the extra pressure.

I could go on, but the science gets a bit more confusing and even more disgusting from here...

andy_e

• forum hero
#62 Re: yorkshire grit chipping
July 31, 2011, 05:23:47 pm
SCIENCE.

tomtom

• forum hero
#63 Re: yorkshire grit chipping
August 01, 2011, 11:18:57 am

I could go on, but the science gets a bit more confusing and even more disgusting from here...

Go on, spill your guts, this isn't mumsnet...

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#64 Re: yorkshire grit chipping
August 01, 2011, 11:21:51 am
You've clearly never been on mumsnet. No gory detail of childbirth is overlooked.

Lund

• obsessive maniac
#65 Re: yorkshire grit chipping
August 01, 2011, 04:50:16 pm
You've clearly never been on mumsnet. No gory detail of childbirth is overlooked.

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/childrens_health/913766-slight-poo-incontinence-in-3-year-old-any-ideas

3.5 year old dd does a lot of what I can only call "wet farts"

"p.s she always ate a lot of fruit, i did wonder if that contributed."

clm

• forum hero
#66 Re: yorkshire grit chipping
August 28, 2011, 03:04:32 am
Les ainsworth has confirmed that cows mouth quarry is an intended location and is looking for opinions. I daresay his email is on the bmc website. I'll pop it up on here in a mo.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#67 Re: yorkshire grit chipping
August 28, 2011, 10:30:53 am
Probably let folk go via his profile on the BMC site unless you want to deluge him in spam...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal