UKBouldering.com

Yorkshire Bouldering - Skipton - August - Reccomendations (Read 10785 times)

granticus

• forum abuser
Cheers folks.. 
Thought about finding a bunk barn instead? - it might will be brassic/wet/dark in Nov... its low/dead season for bunkhouses so there should be opportunities
  We will of course be bringing good weather from Devon along with us but bunk barn sounds like a good plan. 

tomtom

• forum hero
Yup.. or camp right next to a pub :) Sorry, I've no reccomendations for places to stay.. but I'd be surprised if anywhere was overbooked then... Bringing a MTB might make sense if the forecast looks log and you're into pedalling...

granticus

• forum abuser
Bringing a MTB might make sense if the forecast looks log and you're into pedalling...
We are keeping plans flexible, so if Yorkshire's looking grim will head elsewhere or sack the trip in favour of surfing if the whole countries looking shabby. 

rich d

• forum hero
If you don't mind a decent length uphill walk in I'd recommend Lord's seat - again Yorkshiregrit.com is your friend - for me it's one of my favourite places to boulder has great grit and an exposed and quiet moorland feel. Truly a great place, and different in character.
If you're camping then why not camp at masham and then you get the best gritstone in the world (slipstones) and blacksheep brewery rolled into one.
Of course if the weather's not so good then it's the Cliff.
Personally I love Ilkley as I started climbing there - but if it wasn't for the emotional link and I wouldn't bother for bouldering- however the routes are a different matter.

andy_e

• forum hero
Two words for you: Brim Ham.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Brimham Rocks. It really does. But comandeer the services of a local it can be somewhat bewildering on the first visit. And the second, and third.....

Almscliff is always a good fallback plan, can always bag something there if you get skunked elsewhere.

Caley is my favourite, but it may well be dressing in winter greenery by that point. Worth a punt at asking about for conditions beta if it's been dry for a few days though.

granticus

• forum abuser
Caley is my favourite, but it may well be dressing in winter greenery by that point. Worth a punt at asking about for conditions beta if it's been dry for a few days though.

Caley..  Seems to be midgey in the summer and green in the winter...  Surely autumn must be the best time to visit before it gets really green?

tomtom

• forum hero

Caley..  Seems to be midgey in the summer and green in the winter...  Surely autumn must be the best time to visit before it gets really green?

:) Theres a 4-6 week window after the winter grit calling event.... and a similar period before the lime is called in spring..
Caley can be superb, but its a bit more finicky conditions wise than its cousin over the other side of the valley...

andy_e

• forum hero
The Caley season is short and sweet, I hope we get a long one this year as there's some glaring omissions on my ticklist!

SA Chris

• forum hero
Caley is always worth a punt, if it's no good, Almscliff is there as a fallback, looming like a wart on the horizon.

tomtom

• forum hero
Caley is always worth a punt, if it's no good, Almscliff is there as a fallback, looming like a wart on the horizon.

You used the 'W' word to describe the Cliff...

SA Chris

• forum hero
Sorry.

Carbuncle on the horizon.

tomtom

• forum hero
Sorry.

Carbuncle on the horizon.

Far more palatable :)

Alas I fear it may already be too late, the skies have darkened as the apocalyptic swarm of locusts poured from Jess' roof cave and headed North towards Scotchland... (stopping for a quick bite at the Whaler on the way...)

SA Chris

• forum hero
Hopefully I will pass them going the opposite way!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal