UKBouldering.com

Peak info (Read 2689 times)

fried

• forum hero
Peak info
July 13, 2011, 01:31:44 pm
I'm very excited as I'll be in the peak for 2 weeks in August (but leaving next week, hence the early post). I'm staying in the Hope valley.

I'm looking for summer recommendations (cool when sunny, evening/ morning spots, midgeless if possible). I'll have a couple of kids + beginners in tow some of the time, so family recommendations welcome. Upto 6B for me.

I have my peak bouldering guide  + pod beer towel at the ready!

Thanks in advance.

rich d

• forum hero
#1 Re: Peak info
July 13, 2011, 01:42:12 pm
Most child/beginner friendly circuit in peak has to be Burbage South Boulders. My little one's love it (5 and 2) and the climbing is fantastic (for us punters).
Cratcliffe is also a lovely family spot. Both have a great ideal picnic feel to them.
Then I'd say the plantation and Roaches. I know these are all well used and busy honey spots but it's because the walk in is easy and small, the landings are great and the bouldering is some of the best around.
Hope the weather's good for you.

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
#2 Re: Peak info
July 13, 2011, 01:54:49 pm
Ive got lots of child friendly stuff on Offwidth (link below) for kids at Burb South (and a few other venues especially Over Owler Tor; Higgar area; Matlock and Birchover; Plantation South etc). In summer remember the midges won't get you in the sun or in the wind. On sunny still days you need to be high to avoid baking and catch any breeze (midges will lie in wait the shade). Some limestone venues are really good, harbourogh especially with kids (and brassington nearby) and midges are rarely a problem.

http://offwidth.uptosummit.com/guides.html

fried

• forum hero
#3 Re: Peak info
July 13, 2011, 04:58:26 pm
Thanks people, Burbage south boulders is already first on my list, but looks like plenty of info on Offwidth's site, I'm curious to see how the low grade stuff compares to Font.

Moff

#4 Re: Peak info
July 13, 2011, 05:11:28 pm
Easier than font and hopefully much more consistent... we try to grade fairly... much of low grade font (sub F5) is sandbag graded due to a big reluctance to change grades as problems polish up; especially popular venues like Cuvier.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal