UKBouldering.com

a trip to font 2011 (Read 3635 times)

connorod123

• connor
  • i like to climb!!
a trip to font 2011
July 10, 2011, 12:13:26 am
hi there i was just wondering if anybody could give me some advice for a trip to Font and the cheapest way to do it. i have heard many ways like the boulder bus i am just wondering if anyone can confirm the cheapest way??

many thanks 

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#1 Re: a trip to font 2011
July 10, 2011, 07:30:53 am
living in Italy i don't know which is the cheapest way from Uk, but i can assure you that you will need a car there, unless you want to hike for hours. the sectors are spread, and moreover you'll want to be able to go around to look for good conditions in case of rain, heat waves, family pic nics under your project and so on.

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
#2 Re: a trip to font 2011
July 10, 2011, 11:33:42 am
I generally work on the idea of getting 3 people plus pads per car. Gites are not much more expensive than camping, and make the stay far more pleasant. If you have a van you can doss in, then that's even cheaper still, but it may get broken into.

It's a pretty cheap holiday, even if you aren't scrimping.

andy_e

• forum hero
#3 Re: a trip to font 2011
July 10, 2011, 12:33:16 pm
It's a pretty cheap holiday, even if you aren't scrimping.

Depending of course on how many times you have Wild Boar, or eat in the fancy Barbizon restaurants, or spend hours in the patisserie and coffee shops because, as we all know, font trips are really about the food.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#4 Re: a trip to font 2011
July 10, 2011, 12:35:47 pm
What Drew said...in order of cost your options are:

1) Free camping

The Cuvier free campsite closed years ago but I gather there are others around, though these will have no toilet and potentially no running water. It goes without saying that if you stay at these places do not shit in the forest.

2) Pay to camp

Sure other folk will be able to recommend alternative sites but the Musadiere is close to the Trois Pignons area but pricey as (from my recollection of staying there years ago) they charge per head, per tent and per car.

3) Gites

Work out at very good value for money if you can get a few of you together - they tend to be on the larger side (not many 2 - 4 person gites) and you can search for them here:

http://www.gites-de-france.com/

Look for gites near Milly La Foret or Fontainebleau itself.

4) Cheapo hotel type places

There are a couple of Formule 1s about (I've stayed in the one near Moret-Sur-Loing and I think there's one in Nemours), which you can cram 3 people to a room for about £30 a night. From what I remember the one at Moret has/had a microwave so you could heat supermarket food up, but some mates that went last year and did this option found it pricey once you factor in eating out / getting pizza for tea.

Worth mentioning that Formule 1s tend to be located in the back end of nowhere, and generally on an industrial estate to take your laptop / DVDs / plenty of books. 

andy_e

• forum hero
#5 Re: a trip to font 2011
July 10, 2011, 12:43:35 pm
La Musardiere is pricey from what I've seen, but cheaper options, and not too far away from the action, are available at Grez-sur-Loing and Samoreau.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#6 Re: a trip to font 2011
July 10, 2011, 02:28:10 pm
I think the Boulder Bus does weekends only?

andy_e

• forum hero
#7 Re: a trip to font 2011
July 10, 2011, 03:08:35 pm

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
#8 Re: a trip to font 2011
July 11, 2011, 07:17:15 am
Useful as is, I think their website might be more use.

Don't know about anyone else, but I also find that the link to the map doesn't find Grez straight away  :shrug:

Nigel Poustie

• regular
#9 Re: a trip to font 2011
July 11, 2011, 08:21:40 am
The Bivouac area at Bois-le-Roi is beautiful and does obviously have running water and of course you going to shit in the woods! Just make sure you buy a trowel and dig a little hole and cover it afterwards. It's just about been sensible really leave it how you found it and all. We have stayed there on numerous occasions with various size groups and lengths of time, I stayed there for a month once. You'll most likely be the only one there apart from weekends, It's a really special place very close to my heart!

lukeyboy

• forum abuser
#10 Re: a trip to font 2011
July 11, 2011, 12:48:08 pm
If you are interested in the free bivvy sites, the two I've stayed at are just at the north end of Bourron Marlotte (well positioned, running water, very basic 'toilets', pretty and nice atmosphere) and near the hippodrome de la solle just north of fontainebleau (just a patch of grass next to the racecourse). The bourron marlotte one is nice and haven't had any problems with car break ins or anything like that, though beware of unclothing for a wash to find a coach full of french children/pensioners arrive for a walk in the forest.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal